Search

Rochers-de-Naye

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2004, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rochers-de-Naye

Seven weeks from this Friday we'll be leaving. With all the major things secured (hotel, train) I'm looking for other things to plan or at least consider if the time allows. We'll have an afternoon/evening and possibly part of the next morning in Montreux before train-ing it to Venice. I read some things, and saw some photos, about going up to Rochers-de-Naye in a train from Montreux. It sounds like it could offer us some spectacular views of the Alps around us.

What did you think about it? Were you too far away from the taller peaks to really have a jaw-dropping view?
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 03:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I thought the ride up was pretty fun, although a little unsettling if you are vertigo-prone as I am.

Took about an hour from the Montreux train station (but you get tickets at a special office). The tram is nice with maps on your tray tables showing the way. Some nice Alpine scenery, but more the up close kind (chalets, goats, wildflowers).

Unfortunately the day we went (and as often happens I hear) at the very top we were literally in a fog! We settled in for wine and a bite to eat at the restaurant... gazing out into a solid cloud bank!

Honestly I have had much better views standing down on the quai looking out over the lake.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'm wodering if we should just spend our free time (and money) at the Christmas Market that'll be going on while we're there!
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:25 PM

With a short time in Montreux I would probably include a visit to Chateux de Chillon (because it is OLD and a fascinating castle), then the Christmas market &/or walk up into Old Town, and find a place to enjoy wintery specialty food for dinner (like fondue or raclette or sausages) with some great local wine (the Vaud is a wonderful region for vineyards).
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:46 PM

We did the trip up from Montreux this past April. The weather was wonderful and clear in Montreux but by the time we approached the top it was completely fogged in; there was ice on the overhead power wire so the train went VERY slowly. When we reached the top everything was whited out so we spent the time having fondue in the cafeteria (we were the ONLY people there) and it was great fun.

My advice would be do Chillon first (IF you are interested in castles) and the "Christmas Market" second....I say this with bias since I have yet to figure out the allure of the Christmas Markets as I see the SAME stuff being sold at every single one of them in germany, in the Czech Republic, and in Switzerland..but hopefully you'll find something that is uniquely Swiss that wasn't on sale in Prague, etc.
Old Oct 26th, 2004, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Is there a way to find out ahwead of time if the top is fogged in?
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:19 AM

If there is I am not aware of it (not saying there isn't)...there are no TV cams at the bottom as there are in places like Zermatt (for the Gornergrat/Matterhorn) that I know of.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 03:53 AM

Hi sandi_travelnut,

Here's a link (http://www.swiss-riviera.com/naye/) to some information about Rochers de Naye, with lots of pictures, to help you see where you're going! On the left hand side of the site, click on "photos and postcards," then click on each of the next photos to see more photos.

Here's more information about other mountain areas nearby Montreux: http://www.montreux.ch/sightseeing/ (just in case you don't want to risk clouds at Rochers de Naye).

Sorry, no information about how to find out about weather at the top -- maybe just ask before you buy your tickets at the gare?

s
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 09:22 AM

A second reason I wouldn't especially recommend Rochers-de-Naye for Sandi, is simply the time. IMO the tram will take up a good chunk of an afternooon between: train station, tickets, wait for tram, ride up, snack, wait for tram, ride down, guessing 3+ hours.

I think there's more bang for your buck walking along the lakeside quai, the Old Town, Christmas Market, even Chillon, things that take an hour or so each.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Excellent suggestions everyone. Thanks for your time.