Reload this Page >

Rocamdour in the Dordogne Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 10:55 AM
John G

Hi, this is John G. I have a friend who has a house in the Dordogne (the lead singer from the English pop band, 10CC). I have heard from someone I was just having a casual conversation with that the town of Rocamadour in the Dordogne region is really fabulous. I haven't heard anything about it, nor do I know anyone who has been there. Does any Fodorite out there know about this city and is willing to share information with John G??? Cheers, thanks alot.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 11:22 AM
StCirq

John:<BR><BR>Rocamadour, according to the French, is the second most famous religious pilgrimage site in France, after le Mont-St-Michel. It's not a city, but a fairly large town. The major attraction is the cluster of religious buildings (Chapel of St. John the Baptist, St. Anne's Chapel, St. Michel's chapel, tomb of Saint Amadour, the Basilica of St-Saveur, the Chapel of Notre Dame) that are literally carved into the face of an enormous rocky cliff overlooking the Alzou valley. <BR><BR>It became a major pilgrimage site at the end of the 16th century when a grave was discovered supposedly containing the bones of the early Christian hermit, Saint Amadour. Thereafter its fame grew as a result of a number of declared miracles which were attributed to the black virgin that resides in one of the chapels.<BR><BR>There is a small town at the foot of the valley but it is mostly souvenir stalls selling religious trinkets. The larger town above is a typical Quercy town. <BR><BR>It is jam-packed with tourists in summer, and attracts pretty big crowds at all times of the year.<BR><BR>The Gouffre de Padirac, France's (maybe Europe's largest underground cavern) is just a few miles away. You can take a subterranean boat ride there that's considerable fun.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 11:50 AM
John G

Great, St. Cirq. Now, can I easily get from my friend's house just outside Bergerac to Rocamdour? Or do you suggest I stay near Rocamdour at that town above it? Cheers.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:06 PM
StCirq

John G:<BR><BR>I don't know what your definition of "easily" is, but on a typical summer day, it would take about 3.5 hours from Bergerac to Rocamadour. The distance isn't that great (maybe 100 km or so), but it's small roads, crowded roads, curvy roads. In the off-season, you might do it in 2-2.5 hours.<BR><BR>And there's LOADS to see in between! Surely you'd want to stop at about, oh 432 places along the way.<BR><BR><BR>BTW, other interesting places in the neighborhood of Rocamadour are Collonges-la-Rouge, an artists' colony of sorts in a town of bright red houses, which are completely different from any other houses in all of Quercy and the Dordogne (something to do with the local clay). Very pretty town - also quite touristy. And then there's Martel, the town of seven towers.<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:23 PM
elvira

It's a two hour drive (minimum, add another 30 mins for being stuck behind a tractor), and not the most direct route. And the train is worse.<BR><BR>You can see Rocamadour in a day+ - stay with your friend, then stay overnight near Rocamadour...you could do it as a daytrip, but it would be a very long and exhausting day (assuming you're driving).

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Norma

If you do decide to drive to Rocamadour and stay overnight, there is a little town very close by (a few kms, can't remember how many) called Hospitalet. The accommodation there is much less expensive than in touristy Rocamadour and probably much more available, too.<BR><BR>Just a thought.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 03:37 PM
xxx

Well, John G., aren't the impressive little poster? How funny that you needed to tell us who owned this house. Were we supposed to be impressed by your FABULOUS friends? Anyone else would have simply asked the question rather than adding that extra information which has nothing in the world to do with your question.<BR><BR>And now that I think about it, shouldn't this good friend of yours who actually has a house in the Dordogne(FABULOUS, I'm sure) be the one to ask this question? After all he lives there!<BR>Oh, but then that wouldn't give you the chance to boast about your FABULOUS friends, would it?

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:27 PM
John G

My friend doesn't live in Bergerac, darling. This is just one of his houses. Surely, sweetie, you don't have only one house???? I did ask him and he has never been to Rocamadour. <BR><BR>Where else near Rocamadour is there a very pretty, interesting village to explore. Hopefully, without too many tourists.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:30 PM
StCirq

John:<BR><BR>I already mentioned Collonges-la-Rouge and Martel, but a little further afield (in the Perigord, my own territory) are dozens of gorgeous little villages sans touristes to enjoy. When you decide where you're spending the night (I can offer suggestions on that if you like, too), let me know and I can help you navigate your way around the area.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:17 PM
John G

Collonges-sur-Rouge sounds wonderful. How about the town of St. Cirq Lapopie? Is that worth a visit? I am willing to stay anywhere for about 6 days that will be a fun-filled experience, with great wine and food and interesting things to see.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 06:44 PM
StCirq

Personally, I wouldn't bother with St-Cirq-Lapopie. I consider it a really overrated tourist site. It's a hill town set in dramatic, savage, beautiful scenery, but other than that and the fact that it's got a bunch of tourist-trap artist shops scattering the hillside, it's got nothing else to offer and it takes awhile to get there - a couple of hours from Rocamadour.I've never really understood people's fascination with this place, other than that it's beautifully situated and must've been a great fortified site in the middle ages. I'd turn the other direction and spend my extra time in the P&eacute;rigord Noir: Sarlat, the Plus Beaux Villages de France in the Dordogne like La Roque-Gageac, St-L&eacute;on-sur-V&eacute;z&egrave;re, etc.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:01 PM
curious

Just wondering. . .If we recommend some wonderful little village to you are you going to make a complete ass of yourself and spoil it for classy Americans? I mean are you going to flounce around calling everybody "darling" like you do here and acting as if you are god's gift to the world?<BR>

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 07:19 PM
John G

Merci, St. Cirq for the help.<BR><BR>Curious, classy American is an oxymoron.<BR>You are just a moron.