Roasted Chickens

Search

Roasted Chickens

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Roasted Chickens

I've read about the great tasting roasted chicken and yummy potatoes on the board. Where do we go to get one of thoses. I want to be sure to have at least one while we are there in May.
Thanks,
Valarie
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 06:54 PM

Rue Buci between Rue de Seine and Rue Gregoires des Tours in the 6th. There's a deli-looking place that has them. There used to be a rotisserie machine on the corner of Rue de Seine and Rue Buci until Paul's was built there. Maybe the guy is still around...look on Rue de Seine between Blvd. St. Germain and Rue Buci. My sister said the chickens there were great and was eating about a half of one a day for a week. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:08 PM

There is a butcher in the Montorgueil Market that does great rotisserie chickens. Just walk down Rue Montorgueil in the 2nd and you will see the rotisserie outside of his shop.
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. Do they have to roasted potatoes too?
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Guenmai,

You said that you have an apartment kit that you bring with you. Could I ask what is in it?
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:00 PM

Well, for the kitchen, I usually take a can opener, a turner/spatula , a can strainer to strain water out of tuna cans, a small plastic travel bottle filled with Dawn dishwashing liquid, a couple of green scrub pads and a sponge, a pairing knife for fruit, and one of those small, white cutting boards, and a small dish brush.

I also pack my own knife,fork,spoon and favorite melamine cereal bowl, melamine salad plate, a melamine cup since I often pack food to take along when I go out. I prefer to take my own items along and not have to worry about losing or breaking the ones in the apartment while snacking in a park. I also take a few linen napkins as I use them daily at home to save on waste.

A while back, I bought a couple of the Eagle Creek, rectangular, side- zip pouches with the fabric handle. All of my kitchen utensils fit into them, so they're always stocked and ready to toss into my suitcase.

As for other things, a clothes line with the clothes pins already attached, sold at The Container Store. It easily fits into a ziplock,plastic bag. And of course, a small, plastic travel bottle filled with liquid, Planet laundry detergent which I'm not allergic to. I also take two pillow cases from home, and sometimes a towel and always facecloths and scrub gloves( which dry faster) and toilet paper. Who wants to arrive into an apartment, on a weekend, and exhausted, after around 25-30 hours of no sleep, to find there's little or no toilet paper and the stores are closed. I'm not running around town, exhausted, looking for toilet paper. This has never been a problem in my Bangkok apartment, but can easily be in Europe. Rentals in Bangkok are stocked with toilet paper,shampoo,soap, lotion, etc.

All of my items are packed away and for each trip, I just toss it all into the suitcase. I'm usually in Bangkok, for three weeks, at the serviced apartment where I stay . But, I basically take about the same items anywhere in the world. I just add a few things when at the Bangkok apartment....like a small, non-stick fry pan, so that I don't have to use the huge wok all the time.

Last year, I forgot to repack the turner/spatula, for the Paris trip, and there wasn't one in the apartment. I guess I had washed it and had just forgotten to put it back into the kit. Everything else was in the kit. It might seem like a lot of items, but it really isn't and having my own stuff makes life easier. In some countries, folks use different kitchen items than here at home and some we might use, they might not use. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:17 AM

Love it, Guenmai!

So much for doing it all with one carry on bag! If you are going to be somewhere for any time at all, comfort is more important than a quick exit from the airport.

This is one of the great virtues of staying put rather than changing locations every day.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:05 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Guenmai, is the chicken place on Rue Buci the one with the sign of a little pig wearing a chef's hat? With a rotisserie machine in front? That's where we purchased all of the rotisserie chickens we ate on our trip in February to Paris, and they were delicious. The deli also has very good gratin potatoes and other salads to enjoy with the chicken.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Just about all of the butcher shops have rotisseries. It is good to know that roast chickens are about 4.50€ in the outer arrondissements and about double at some places in the center of the city. In my own neighborhood, the price is 2 roasted chickens for 8.00€.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:28 AM

Fourfourtravel-Yes, that's the deli. I've been getting salads from that deli for decades as I don't eat meat. My sister would get the chicken and we'd both get the salads and then either eat in our hotel room, a park, or several times she had devoured the chicken while walking down the street as she said it was so good. Then we'd sit and eat the salads. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:36 AM

Fourfourtravel- I think that might be the same guy who had the rotisserie chicken machine outside on the corner of rue Buci and rue de Seine until Paul's was built. It hit me when you posted that the rotisserie machine is in the front of the deli. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:15 AM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Guenmai, we're guilty of nibbling on the chicken as we walked back to our apartment, too!

scrapwithval, do seek out the little deli on Rue Buci with the piggy-as-chef sign. The chicken is great (the garlicky potato gratin is my favorite side!)
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 06:52 AM

Rue Buci deli will have a new customer come Sept.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the info - I will also be in Paris in May. When my husband and I were in Germany for Oktoberfest we had a rotisserie chicken that was so good we still talk about it. I'm hoping to have that same thing in Paris!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 07:19 AM

I thought I had read previously about needing to "book your chicken" ahead if you wanted to pick one up on the way home for dinner. Is that true (or am I mixing up different facts!)
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 09:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
At the very end of the day, some places can run out of chickens. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 07:52 PM

Are the rotisserie chickens on Rue Buci better than the ones on Rue Mouffetard? That is the main reason we are staying in apartment this time, we had to pass by too many wonderful things to eat because we had no place to bring them back to.

Guenmai, great idea about your apartment kit! We do something similar for picnics but we were wondering about what things we might need for the apartment.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 08:59 PM
pdx

It's not Paris, but this is a recipe for a roasted chicken from a French restaurant. I love it and it's as simple as it can get. I put the chicken on a cake rack over a cast iron skillet with the potatoes in the bottom. They tend to be overcooked but good lord, they are delicious!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Chicken-231348