Road or Train Trip, France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4th, 2019, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be traveling throughout France in the beginning of May. We will be leaving Paris on the 9th and will have to be back in Paris on the 16th. We can't decide between Normandy, or the Alsace region, or if we should try to squeeze in both with one day of travel in between. The latter seems too much? We are both vegan so while we love food, food isn't our main motivation since we are limited. We do love (vegan) wine. I love the architecture of the Alsace and we both love history. We do not mind driving but would also enjoy the train. Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
My rule of thumb is if there are trains (or buses) that go where I want to go, why bother with a car. To me a car is a liability in several ways, to the extent that, all else being equal, I'll choose one destination over another if I can get there by public transport. I find it a kind of freedom. But others will say the exact opposite.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 02:25 PM

"We do love (vegan) wine."

LOL, all wine is vegan. It's like gluten free milk(guaranteed).

It's a pity you won't be able to enjoy the local culinary delights, but you're not going to starve and at least you can drink the wine.

Grapes don't grow in Normandy, so that's a plus for Alsace.

If you love wine and the architecture of Alsace I'd go there this time and leave Normandy for a future trip. Take the train from Paris, spend a couple of days in Strasbourg, travel around a bit by train/bus/walking/cycling - this way both of you can enjoy the wine all days. Than rent a car for a couple of days to discover places which are not easy to get to by public transit. I promise that a week in Alsace will feel very short. Dividing your time between Alsace and Normandy is the worst idea. If you really can't decide which one to choose, just toss a coin. Normandy is just as good, only different, you have calvados(vegan!) instead of wine.

Bon voyage!
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi! Thank you for your response. I am leaning more and more towards Alsace for this trip, and Normandy for the future. I like the idea of train to Strasbourg then renting a car to get around once we are there.
Actually, all wine is definitely not vegan. Wine (like beer) is fined with many different things, and like beer, many of those things are not vegan.
Wine can be fined with casein, gelatin, isinglass. None of which are vegan. I've been vegan for a very long time, and have been drinking wine even longer.
Thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

We usually rent a car but the sounds of not having to worry about parking sounds super freeing. I think half and half may be the best of both worlds!
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 02:36 PM
Les

Sorry, Mme Perdu, but, in general, I have to disagree with your view of driving between destinations. We just returned from a 35 day driving trip around France, visiting a few larger towns, but mostly smaller villages, and using small back roads wherever possible, and I can definitely say that France is a magnificent country, and driving is the best way to see it.

Having said that, given Angela's time frame and limited itinerary, I have to agree with Mme Perdu. Get to your intended destinations quickly and devote your limited time to seeing as much of them as you can.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Les
Sorry, Mme Perdu, but, in general, I have to disagree with your view of driving between destinations. We just returned from a 35 day driving trip around France, visiting a few larger towns, but mostly smaller villages, and using small back roads wherever possible, and I can definitely say that France is a magnificent country, and driving is the best way to see it.

Having said that, given Angela's time frame and limited itinerary, I have to agree with Mme Perdu. Get to your intended destinations quickly and devote your limited time to seeing as much of them as you can.

Les, I guess I wasn't clear, my "view of driving" depends entirely on the destination. If I can get where I want to go by train, that's what I do. What you describe is a trip I, too, would do by car as driving back roads to villages would make no sense any other way. So, apologies, I have to correct you, we do not disagree.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 03:29 PM

"I can definitely say that France is a magnificent country, and driving is the best way to see it"

It's one of the best ways to see it.

Walking its trails or navigating its waterways on a houseboat are also best ways to see it, and so are taking the slow trains on scenic branch lines, before these get closed.

Each of these modes of transport will show you another face of France but it's always beautiful.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by BDKR
"I can definitely say that France is a magnificent country, and driving is the best way to see it"

It's one of the best ways to see it.

Walking its trails or navigating its waterways on a houseboat are also best ways to see it, and so are taking the slow trains on scenic branch lines, before these get closed.

Each of these modes of transport will show you another face of France but it's always beautiful.
I absolutely agree. I've walked across the Loire Valley from chateau to chateau & for days along the Burgundy Canal. There is no finer way to travel if you have the time & inclination.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 04:00 PM

My dream is to do a houseboat trip, but I think I'll do that when I'll have a family. Until than I try to travel the most scenic railway lines before they get closed.

https://www.getaway.co.za/travel-sto...als-in-france/

https://www.leboat.com/boating-vacations/france
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 04:15 PM
kja

Whether to use a car or not depends on one's priorities. There are certainly pros and cons either way! Of course, if visiting wineries is a priority, then you would have to decide between public transportation and sip & spit.
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 04:29 PM

We've made 2 trips to France almost every year since 1999 (that's 42 trips). We normally get to our first destination by train, and return to Paris from our last destination by train. In between, we almost never take a train or plane to get from destination to destination within France. The only exceptions were a day-trip from St Malo (near the gite where we were staying) to Rennes this year, and another day-trip from Roanne to Lyon about 6 years ago. If we need to drive more than 4 hours or take a train/plane to get to the next destination - we will modify our plans & eliminate that destination. Like Les - we like the small/scenic back roads.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by angelamoore5505
Hi! Thank you for your response. I am leaning more and more towards Alsace for this trip, and Normandy for the future. I like the idea of train to Strasbourg then renting a car to get around once we are there.
Actually, all wine is definitely not vegan. Wine (like beer) is fined with many different things, and like beer, many of those things are not vegan.
Wine can be fined with casein, gelatin, isinglass. None of which are vegan. I've been vegan for a very long time, and have been drinking wine even longer.
Thanks!
Of course, you don't have to stay in a big city if you have a car. So much opens up for you. Sticking just with Alsace sounds like a good idea.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 05:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My thoughts
1) no wine is vegan as bees are required to turn flowers into fruits
2) the best way to see France is

a) by bike
b) by foot
c) by boat
d) by horse
e) by train
f) and pretty much last, by car

don't try to visit both areas in the time, choose one and stick to it.
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 08:52 AM

We live in the middle of nowhere in France - a village of 112 people, of which we are 2. We can get virtually anywhere in Europe on a train that stops 4 kms from our house. Driving around Europe is wonderful, but you really can't fault the train system.

Good luck with the vegan wine.

Last edited by Moderator1; Nov 5th, 2019 at 10:11 AM. Reason: deleted off-topic opinions
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 10:15 AM
Forum Moderator

several off-topic posts were deleted
Old Nov 5th, 2019, 12:26 PM

If you are heading to Alsace then take the train then rent a car to get around the smaller villages and maybe a bit further afield into Germany for instance or to the Vosges.
You may struggle as vegans in Alsace - it is a very meat oriented area.

Vegan wines (also other vegan products in the menu):

https://www.certification-vegan.org/...lcohols-wines/