Paris (inc. Normandy), then Rome, then?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking at a trip for our son's graduation (kids ages 18, 20 and 23). He wants to go to Normandy, so we were thinking about the 5 of us going to Paris, and my husband and son would take an overnight trip to Normandy.

At first we thought about 5 nights in Paris, but I think it would be more economical to rent an apartment, so it would probably be better to stay a whole week in Paris.

Then we thought about going to Rome after we leave Paris, and again it looks like it would be more economical to rent an apartment.

Would it be better to spend 5 nights in Paris, 4 in Rome, and then 4/5 somewhere else (maybe Tuscany area) or 7 Paris/7 Rome? 4 of the 5 of us have been to Rome (not our son), but we'd like to return. If we stay 7 nights at each place, we'd do day trips. Is Pompeii doable as a day trip from Rome? Also need more ideas on day trips from Paris and Rome.

Thanks for the help. This trip is for June 2007, but I'm always planning way ahead for all our trips! We'd be using frequent flier tickets, flying into Paris and out of Rome or wherever we were at the end of the trip.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Any ideas? Another thought would be to go to Sorrento for 4/5 days after we leave Rome, if we did Paris 5/Rome 4/somewhere else 5 days. We would do day trips from Sorrento, also.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:09 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
There are apartments in Paris that do not have one week minimum rentals, as well as in Rome.

I have done day trips from Rome to Pompeii twice, and I really enjoyed it. One time I took a shuttle bus operated by Enjoy Rome and the other time I took the train to Naples and then the Circumvesuviana from Naples to Pompeii. Both methods were fine.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 06:48 AM
ira

Hi sam,

Paris 5/Rome 4/Sorrento 5 is not a bad plan.

I suggest that you fly into Paris and out of Naples or VV.

You could also do Venice instead of Sorrento.

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Ira. We've been to Rome/Florence/Cinque Terre, but not to Venice or Amalfi Coast. Which do you think older teens would prefer, Sorrento or Venice? And which would be easier to get to from Rome? I'm leaning toward Amalfi Coast area, because I think it would be terribly expensive for the 5 of us to stay in Venice; also, we like to be on the water, so boat trips from Sorrento sound fun.

My husband and I haven't been to Paris (middle daughter has), and I'm going to have to do a lot of research on that, including places to stay, things to do, etc. The only thing we know for sure is that my husband and son will go to Normandy (probably on the third day) and spend one night there. Our daughters and I will stay in Paris that night, and then all of us will stay there for about 2 more nights.

I am assuming we'll take a train from Paris to Rome -- is this a good option? Where would I find info on this? I know where to find into on Italian rail travel; is it the same place to find Paris/Rome travel?

Another question -- if we do head South, would it be better to base ourselves in Sorrento or Positano?

Thanks for helping. I'm recovering from some unexpected surgery, and the only thing I'm able to do is sit at the computer, so I'm planning LOTS of our future trips!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:01 AM
ira

Hi sam,

>We've been to Rome/Florence/Cinque Terre, but not to Venice or Amalfi Coast. Which do you think older teens would prefer, Sorrento or Venice?<

Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast are spectacular scenery like the CT.

Venice is unique.

> I'm leaning toward Amalfi Coast area, because I think it would be terribly expensive for the 5 of us to stay in Venice; also, we like to be on the water, ....<

The AC ain't cheap and Venice isn't all that expensive. You can find reasonably priced lodgings in both places.

Check these places:

http://www.pensioneaccademia.it/

http://www.hotelbernardi.com/en/hotel.html

http://www.veniceby.com/hotelacalcina/

Last time I was there, Venice was IN the water.

Old Mar 6th, 2005, 11:07 AM

I haven't seen a response to your question about travel from Paris to Rome. My suggestion is to check out the budget airlines that operate in Europe. There can be some incredibly cheap rates from Paris to Venice or Rome for example. In some cases much less than train travel.
Try www.flybudget.com and there are many others.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

I just re-read my post, and I wanted Ira to know that I realize Venice is IN the water, but I meant "beach" instead of "canals." LOL! I guess I just worded it the wrong way.

Ira, I will look up the info you gave me. Thanks very much.

Nikki, thanks for the info on apartments.

DougP, Thanks for the air info. I'll check into that.