Rip Off In Portugal: The Gulbenkian Museum

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beware if you plan to visit the Gulbenkian Museum in Portugal.

I went to the nearest metro stop, San Sebastian. When leaving there are no signs to the museum. I asked directions several times and finally found it, or so I thought. It was a big building with the Gulbenkian sign out front.

I went in and paid my admission. Started my tour and could not find any of the exhibits mentioned in the guidebooks. Where was the Greek and Roman art. Where were the Renaissance paintings. It only has a few galleries of ulta modern stuff. Ok for some but that is not what I came for.

I asked up front where the rest of the museum was. I was told to go around the corner and down the street. Well. there it was. But they would not honor my ticket. They said I would have to pay again or leave. So, I left.

There is no sign or indication that there are two separate museums, both with the same name. I went back when I paid and complained. They said they assumed I knew what I was purchasing when I paid for my ticket. There is no way to know.

This is a rip off. Please correct the guidebooks. Do not let these people continue to steal from us.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:32 PM

I must have been lucky, because when we were in Portugal, we had no problems finding the Gulbenkian in a wonderful building in the middle of a park.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 12:59 PM
yk

It sounds like the first building you went to was the Modern Art Center: http://www.gulbenkian.pt/index.php?s...d=355&langId=2

It is unfortunate indeed, what you went through. The Gulbenkian museum should have offered you a discounted admission, since according to this: http://www.museu.gulbenkian.pt/informacoes.asp?lang=en
They offer
<i>Combination ticket/2 Museums (Gulbenkian Museum / Modern Art Centre): EUR 7</i>
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 01:04 PM
yk

BTW, I wouldn't call this a "rip-off" or that they were stealing. The Modern Art Center is part of the Gulbenkian Foundation, so it's not "wrong" that the Modern Art Center has the Gulbenkian sign up front.

http://www.gulbenkian.pt/index.php?section=14&langId=2
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 01:40 PM

Michael - you were lucky to find the museum easily.

Stuart - I'm laughing because you have no idea how long it took me to find the Gulbenkian (regular museum). I followed a similar path but didn't pay money for the Modern Art Museum as I noticed the large sign over the entrance. I asked some employees standing around outside and they directed me around the corner. I then entered another building where people were waiting, sitting on couches. I joined them. When the rope was moved away at 10:00 I entered and looked at the books and then approached a man sitting behind a high desk and said I wanted to purchase a ticket. He looked at me like I was crazy (of course I am) and said a ticket to what? The Gulbenkian. Oh...that's in the next building! I wonder what all those other people were waiting for.

This was one of my many Lisbon misadventures; the subway ride to the museum was another. Perhaps now that I'm laughing I should complete the Lisbon portion of my trip report. I haven't been able to laugh about Lisbon until now.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:23 PM

I could SWEAR that you are asked if you want to buy a ticket for BOTH the Modern Art Center and the Gulbenkian Collection.

You made a mistake. You were out 5 euros.

It wasn't the end of the world.

You were an absolute fool to leave after making the trek. And you missed those heavenly Guardi paintings of Venice. Not smart, guv.

Thin
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 02:53 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We hada difficult time finding the museum but when we did we were delighted that as senior citizens they didn't charge us any admission fees. This museum is a treasure. Sorry you went through so much confusion.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

I appreciate hearing from those of you who were similarly frustrated at the Gulbenkian. Glad most seemed to figured it out in advance or were told about it before you entered.

But it is clear from all that the Gulbenkian is confusing due to its two museums with the Gulbenkian name. In my opinion, it is a rip off if they they fail to make it clear that there are two museums, especially as one enters the modern one. By the way, seniors are no longer free, although there is a discount.

These museums are difficut to find for a tourist unfamiliar with the city. The modern museum is the first one you come to. There are no signs, no indication that the other Gulbenkian is possibly the one you have heard about and want to see. Without explanation, it is a rip off.

And I know I missed quite a bit by leaving. But, I did not want to add any money to the pockets of these theives. They know that they are deceiving people. I am sorry I missed the richness of what was on offer. But, I am not sorry. And, I do not regret my decision. There is much to see and enjoy in Lisbon with out giving money to these thieves. In my opinion.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 08:54 AM

"I did not want to add any money to the pockets of these thieves"
IMHO, you did the right thing. I hope they learnt their lesson.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 08:58 AM
yk

Perhaps you can send an email to the museum and tell them your unpleasant experience? I suppose museums are interested in improving visitors' experience and its own image; what's the point of being a museum that's difficult for visitors to find, since tourist admission fees is their main source of income? If you write to them, perhaps that's more constructive than posting your frustrations here.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:35 AM

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the Modern Art Center is call Centro de Arte Moderna. It is on Rua Dr. Nicolau Bettencourt.

The Gulbenkian Collection is called Museu Caloute Gulbenkian and is on the Avenida de Berna.

When I was in Berlin two years ago, I got on the wrong U-bahn train. I had to double back to get to the right train. I wasted 5 euros doing so.

Could you imagine me asking someone at the U-bahn station for my money back because I made a mistake?

You were out 5 euros. Let it go.

I can't understand why you would let a paltry sum of money ruin what could be a VERY expensive holiday.

Nothing against you, guv, but there are Fodorite who rant that the 10 euros they were charged at Cafe Florian in Venice ruined their trip. "Imagine paying 10 euros for a lousy coke!!!!!"

They also come here to tell us all how they were ripped off.

Thin
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:38 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Living up to your name, Lobo?
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:44 AM

That's my nature. Nurture is losing
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 09:52 AM

Nikki, I'me very sensitive to the concept of unavoidable destiny. It's from where the Greek tragedy (example Oedipus Rex) and Fado take their bond.
Arabic culture have the similar concept of Maktub (it's writen), showing a continuous cultural background around the Mediterranean ring.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Fado and fate being the same word, n'est-ce pas?

So if I understand correctly, your psychological education is telling you that people raised by wolves will end up more like people, and wolves raised by nice Portuguese families will end up more like wolves.

I want to see the controlled experiment.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 10:14 AM

c'est vrai.
And don't forget that "homo lupus homini".
That's nice to see where a rip off notice is taking us.
That's all for today. Nice to "see" you as always.
Old Mar 25th, 2010, 12:28 PM

I think part of the confusion is that the Modern Art Museum sign also says Gulbenkian Foundation thereby leading one to believe that it was the regular Gulbenkian Museum; after all, one is looking for something that says Gulbenkian. If I hadn't been so early and hadn't sat on the wall waiting while staring at the sign over the door, I too would have gone into the Modern Art Museum and bought a ticket.

But...lack of signage is not confined to Portugal nor even to Europe. Many times I've spent $5 in gas at home, turning around and backtracking because of poor or confusing signage. It's all part of being in an unfamiliar place. A friend of mine who took a bus tour of Portugal had no problem finding the museum - LOL.
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 02:24 AM

"homo homini lupus".
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 04:12 AM

Want to know what a rip-off is? Disneyworld. I live just north of this scamland and I'm always disgusted with how they keep raising their prices and gouging the tourists.

Now, if they allowed adults to have their own version of "It's a Small World" where you could shoot the little animatrons as they sing that stupid song, over and over and over and over again, well, then I might pay $75 for that.

dave
Old Mar 26th, 2010, 08:47 AM

I was lucky - - - From our hotelI turned left and walked straight for 15 minutes until I reached a T junction and the garden of the museum.

I entered from downstairs and the people at the door couldn't have been nicer in giving directions to the upstairs desk.

The museum is FABULOUS. The permanent collection is stunning and I was fortunate in that there was a temporary exhibit on still life painting in the special gallery.

Tickets can be purchased for:
1. The main collection and temporary exhibit
2. The modern art collection
3. The temporary exhibit
4. The main collection and the modern art collection combined at discount
5. The main collection and the temporary exhibit combined
6. All three exhibits combined at a discount
At e7:00 for all 3, it was a bargain.

Sundays the museum is free.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -