Ring of Kerry - Tralee

Jan 27th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Ring of Kerry - Tralee

Can anyone recommend a nice Farmhouse Bed and Breakfast near Tralee? We want to stay 5 days in the area this summer to explore and Tralee seems to be the best place as a basis.
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Tralee is okay but it is just a typical workaday Irish town. You might opt for Killarney or Kenmare instead for the southwest. Where are you going on day trips?
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:27 PM

Haven't stayed in any, but you can try:

http://www.irishfarmholidays.com/ifh/index.cfm
Jan 27th, 2005, 03:33 PM

Abaout 30 minutes up the road from Tralee on the north coast of the Dingle peninsula lies the village of Castlegregory. Near that, looking out on the Atlantic coast is one of the finest (and still easily my favorite) B&Bs in Ireland, The Shores. It makes a great base for touring the area.

I agree that Tralee would not be my choice for a town to spend a lot of time in.

Give Annette a call.

Bill
Jan 27th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Killarney begins to sound a better bet. Thanks for the information about The Shores - it sounds great. We have not quite decided about day trips but obviously want to do the Ring of Kerry and explore the Dingle Peninsula and perhaps go to one of the islands. We are very much interested in birds and nature so any information about places to do and see would be appreciated.
Jan 28th, 2005, 04:23 AM

Since you are doing the Ring of Kerry, at the town of Portmagee you can catch a boat out to the Skellig Islands -- here's a link:

http://www.skelligexperience.com/ske...xperience.html

Lots to do in Kerry - Here's another link. Could take up a week of your time to tour around the area:

http://www.ringofkerrytourism.com/whattosee.html

Contrary to others, we liked Killarney. It is a great place to stay considering the activities in the area.
Jan 29th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

The Skellig islands look interesting and we might attempt to visit them as we like birds. If we do that, we might want to divide and stay part in Castlegregory and part somewhere closer to the islands. Is Kenmare a starter and does anone have any recommendations for B&B?
Jan 29th, 2005, 05:06 AM

Here's a place near Portmagee that got good reviews. We were going to stay there the night before visiting the Skellig Islands.

http://www.stayatbeachcove.com/mainpage.htm
Jan 30th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

We have just booked the Beach Cove and are waiting for a response to our email to the Shores. Thank you all very much for your replies.
Feb 1st, 2005, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Have tried in vain to contact The Shores in Castlegregory. Email go unanswered and the same with the telephone: no reply. Can this B&B be out of business? How long ago did you stay there, Bill (wojazz3)?
Feb 1st, 2005, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Have just managed to get hold of the Shores and booked. Thank you everybody for your advice.
Feb 1st, 2005, 09:23 AM

Please let us know what you think of the Beach Cove. I've not actually stayed there, but next trip I want to venture out to the Skelligs and keeping the place in mind.

You'll just love the Shores. Her 3-course gourmet dinner is well worth having. The dessert with a touch of Baileys in it is wonderful!!
Feb 2nd, 2005, 12:15 AM
Original Poster

Will do. But I won't be there until July so you will have to wait a bit.
Jul 17th, 2005, 02:47 AM
Original Poster

As promised my opinion of Beach Cove B&B in St Finian's Bay: it's a fantastic location with rolling waves right in front of the B&B and a wonderful view of the Skellig Islands. The B&B is rather simple, but great value for money - it costs only Euros 20 p.p. B&B per night. Bridie and her husband are lovely people and make you feel very welcome, the breakfast is very good: the usual cooked Irish Breakfast, but also a healthier option of yoghurt and fruit. The two upstairs bedrooms (both ensuite) have the best view - we had the "yellow" bedroom, perfactly pleasant. The other upstairs room "the blue room" is bigger but is -I think- a family room for it has three beds. Might be worth to pay the extra. We definitely recommend this B&B. The nearest restaurants are about 10 minutes drive away, in Portmagee (best: The Moorings) and Cahersiveen (The Point, where the ferry crossed over to Valentia Islandd)
Jul 18th, 2005, 04:27 AM

Thanks for the report. I'll have to put Beach Cove on my list for the next trip -- I definitely want to get out to the Skelligs.
Jul 19th, 2005, 12:19 PM

An alternative to a B&B for that many days might be a "self-catering" cottage. We stayed in one on the road between Killarney and Tralee that we loved; we'd like to go back. Try this link for Glenview Cottage:
http://reservations.accommodation.ie...ode=SWS0227901