Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

right clothes for May in Italy & luggage question?

Apr 19th, 2007, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

So this is ROUGHLY what I'm packing for the last 2 weeks of May in Italy. Ok- the last week is in Greece. 5 days in Rome & 2 days in Venice.

3 sundress/skirts 2 maybe 3 pairs of capris 2 light sweater/cardigans for evenings & churches where my shoulders need to be covered 2 alternate pairs of good walking shoes 3-5 light shirts

will this work for the weather? I'm expecting mostly warm days (not hot) with some cool evenings & throw in some rain maybe.

Another question I have is What do I do with anything I plan to buy? I'm not going to do major clothes shopping but I would like to buy a lot of momentos & such. Do people just generally pack as little as possible on the way there in the hopes that they will have lots of room left in their luggage & that it be overweight?
I've read lots of threads on taking a smaller size luggage piece but what if you are bringing stuff back with you?
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

If I could find an edit button I would use it but I meant to say "in the hopes that your luggage returning WON'T be overwieght."
Apr 19th, 2007, 10:08 AM

I tend to buy small, lightweight items--my vacation is not a shopping expedition. For my standard 22-inch suitcase, when I pack for Italy I don't unzip the expandable part and my suitcase is still not full. When I return home, I unzip the expandable part.

I would have at least one option for a possibly cold day--full-length but lightweight slacks, perhaps. Otherwise, sounds good to me.
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Maybe it is conditioning from growing up on the California coast, but I never go anywhere without a windbreaker of some sort. They pack down very small, so they are easy to fit in a suitcase.
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM

on previous trips we had ceramics & glassware shipped home ahead of us. This time we carried all of the glass we bought in Venice at the beginning of our trip along with us, bubble-wrapped and in the center of our bags. I bought a bottle of Sciacchetrà for my in-laws in Vernazza, and it would've been a bear to either ship or tote it for 2 weeks. Thank goodness I only had to carry it the last 2 days, and it went in my carry-on - along with the glass -for the trip home.
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Hello chopin, I would bring some type of outwear in case it rains. I have always had rain in May. You can wear it onto the plane so that it doesn't take up room in your luggage.

A lot of people put a tote in their luggage. When flying home they use the tote for the dirty laundry, so they have room in their checkin luggage for purchased. I always try to take breakables in my carryon when flying home.
Apr 19th, 2007, 11:59 AM

I usually take a carry on (20" duffle or similar) and a 24-26" rollerboard to check. I pack light enough that I can move my toiletries, "safe outfit", etc. from my carry on to the rollerboard for the return trip and put all my "trinkets" in the carry on. I usually try to select items that are easy to carry, small, etc.

If I do get too much stuff, I either ship some of it home ahead of time or I pick up a small cheap rollerboard (22" or less) and check it also. It's much easier to lug an extra suitcase home than to lug it around the whole trip.

I would also take a simple lightweight windbreaker. It's easier to wear a hooded windbreaker in a light rain, than to try holding an umbrella AND drag your luggage around.
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:18 PM

We pack a 21-22" rolling suitcase that is expandable, but not expanded, for the way over. Into the outside pocket of each we tuck one folded nylon duffle bag. We check this suitcase and carry a daypack or tote bag on the plane.

For the return, if we have bought things (well, we always buy things!) we unzip the expander part of the suitcase and use the duffle bags. Unbreakables go in the duffle (like laundry). Things that need some protection (books, things in boxes, etc., go in the suitcases, cushioned appropriately.

The duffle bags ride on top of the suitcase when we are rolling it through the airport, etc. Anything remotely breakable gets packed in the carry-on tote/daypack and goes in the cabin with me. Sometimes I bring some bubble wrap, or a small rigid box (pack clean undies or socks in it on the way over) if I know I will be buying fragile items.
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all of your tips! Originally I wasn't even going to take much of a carry-on, just a purse or something but then I figured between my husband & me we could each take a change of clothes incase of lost luggage & we should still have plenty of room in there for breakables.

I know when my mom & dad went for 5 weeks about 30 years ago they brought a whole china set from Germany back with them! & they didn't have huge luggage either.

Also- good tip about the wind breaker. Funny thing is...I MADE my husband buy one just last weekend for our trip but it didn't dawn on me that I would need one. (shaking my head, shaking my head)
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Going over I pack a 24" expandable, not expanded. I also take a generous tote of some sort as a carry-on on the plane. On the way home I expand my suitcase zipper. But I also always buy a souvenier basket or tote or some kind and pack IT with all the gifts and goodies and carry it on the plane. Point being on the way home, I care less about my suitcase arriving on time, and more about not losing or breaking any souveniers I had purchased.

If you are packing a 25" size suitcase or smaller, it's very unlikely to be over the checked luggage weight limit, regardless of what is packed in it (within reason).
Apr 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM

Oh, and as far as your pack list, sounds good. For me I'd take one less dress/skirt and one more pair of pants. One less shirt and add a lightweight jacket of some type.