Right Bank vs. Left Bank....Question...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom and I are taking a trip to Paris in March...both our firt time there. We are disagreeing about which bank to stay on.

I say the Left, she says the Right...mind you this is purely based on reading and research. She feels that the left bank, namely the Latin Quarter will be too "young" for her (I am 26, and she is 62) and she doesn't want to feel out of place.

Is there any validity to this argument? Which bank is more desirable? Where can we really soak up all of the parisian culture??

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:00 PM
jay

either one is fine. i just organized a trip for a group of ten relatives two of whom were 60. we stayed near the sorbonne and they loved it. i've stayed on the same street twice and had a great experience both times.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:36 PM

I take flak for this but I don't care.

Stay on the left bank (mainly the 5th & 6th) with the tourists. Stay on the right bank with the Parisians.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Stay in the 7th on the Left Bank and you can enjoy both tourists and Parisians.

I agree with your mom about the Latin Quarter. For me, it's fine during the day, but at night I want to get somewhere a bit more quiet and neighborhood-like.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:38 PM

Please assure your mother that at the age of 62 she will not feel out of place in the Latin Quarter.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:47 PM

Yeah, I know this is inflammatory, but it's a slow Wednesday night at home. And I'm settling into my 2nd VO Manhattan.

May 2003 was the 3rd time in 3 years I've made it to Paris. Each year I've gone over to the Left Bank to see what all the hoopla was about.

After my Dad and I went sightseeing all day on the Right Bank we ended up at a cafe in the 6th where r. de l'Ancienne Comedie meets with r. Dauphine. As I sat there sipping my over-priced beer at 5euros for a glass, I made meticulous notes of what was happening around me.

The older couple from Kansas who sat ahead of me to my left were there on a second honeymoon. They were having a delightful time. The gentleman to my left was from Asia, probably Japan as I recognized the lettering on his book and few non-Japanese actually read Japanese. The gentleman to my left and behind me was from the US. I know because he mentioned it. He was completely dressed in black: black sports coat, black shoes, black jeans, black belt, black turtleneck. No one had bothered to tell him he should not associate so closely with a white-haired dog as was very evident. There was a group of four German speakers on my right. They were an interesting group to watch. Two grandfatherly looking gentlemen with two young men in their early twenties. They kept seat swapping as I let my mind wonder exactly what was up with them.

The waiter was actually speaking French with me. I think he let me practice because I was the only French speaker there.

Lastly was the three people who sat down directly in front of me and my Dad. They were from Philadelphia and this was their first trip to Paris. Again they announced it loudly enough that I didn't feel I was eavesdropping. In the whopping eight minutes they sat there, they congratulated themselves twice on how they had found the best part of Paris and a true feel for the city. They were only there eight minutes because they could not wait long enough for the very busy waiter to get to them. They were up and out of there moving off for more of the "true Paris" experience I guess.

Wow! The real Paris experience must be sitting at cafes surrounded by foreigners and not taking the time to have an espresso? I hope I never find their Paris and I won't be heading back to the 5th or 6th any time soon either.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:53 PM

62 is old? When I went with my parents at 25 they stayed on rue Monge and loved the Latin Quarter--La Boul' Mich is one of their fondest memories.

My husband is 60 and we love the left bank! There are people of all ages in every neighborhood, but some streets definitely are "livelier", especially at night. This can usually be solved by requesting a back-facing room rather than a street side room and not choosing a hotel above a bar, for example. I personally love a street room on a busy smaller street because it is so much fun to people watch.

I also feel safer (though all the lower number arrondissements are fine, left or right bank) in a busier neighborhood where lots of people are about instead of walking thru deserted streets to get back to my hotel at night.

Maybe there is some other point your mother feels even more strongly about that you can each cede a point to the other???
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Right bank.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

All of your replies have been very helpful...thank you.

No, 60 is not old, nor does my mother act or feel "old", so I am not too sure what her feelings are about...but this being her first time in paris as well as mine...I want it to be a great experience for her...(which I am sure it will be no matter the "bank&quot

Lastly, the hotel she wants to stay in is the Hotel Concorde Saint Lazare...
I have read reviews on trip advisor, which have all been positive. But alas, I seek advice from the experts...

Any?
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:13 PM

From a 60 something, we prefer the Left Bank. It's just more relaxed and we don't mind tourists because we ARE tourists.

Honestly, I've seen an amazing number of "tourists" on the Left Bank who speak French like a native, i.e. they are natives!

It's Paris. You'll see lots of French people. It really doesn't matter which bank you stay on; you'll have a wonderful time. It's Paris!!=D>
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ROFL...Indy your post. No one believes when I say you can tell an American tourist, They dress in black.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:43 PM

I am not sure how much time you have but are you open to the idea of spliting your time between a hotel on the Right and a hotel on the Left?
The Left Bank is more than the Latin Quarter:ie we stayed at the Hotel Relais Bosquet which is in the 7th ARR on the Left Bank. We choose this location because we could see & walk to the Eiffel Tower; at the Eiffel Tower depart for a ride around the Seine on the BatoBus (slow moving ferry boat) which stopped at many of the sites we wanted to see. Hotel RB is also in a nice pedestrian mall upper middle class Rue Cler neighborhood area (yes it is recommended by Steve Reeves and yes it does have tourists but it is very nice for the first time visitor and you can easily get away by walking, cab, or train or boat to the Right Bank.) with lots of convient shopping options, friendly shop keepers and we felt safe enough not to worry about getting lost. The very nice front desk Fredrica spoke English and it was helpful to us with the perplexing strike/transporatation issues.They helped us explore on our own and recommended restraunts all excellant and inexpensive. We walked everywhere, a wonderful experience. Do be extra careful -- especially tourist areas, trains esclators etc. you run a very hight risk of having items stolen. En Garde!
One more thing, we walked alot enjoying each corner, stopping for drinks at a Cafe outdoors, a cookie shop with the most marvelous pistachio macaroon, an olive oil store tasting and bought enough for picnics everyday and gifts for the folks at home. All of this was made much easier as I purchased a little book called Rendez-vous with France by Julie Butler which has pictures along with phonetic pronounceation of the item...lots of fun and help at Restraunts. Let me know if you want more names and suggestions..Bon Voyage
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 04:55 PM

jaar, I looked on line and couldn't find that book. Sounds great!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone for your very informative responses!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:31 PM

I just saw one copy of that book at my local Barnes & Nobles, not 2 hours ago! What a coincidence. But I did not really pay attention to the title/author, so can't tell if there is a typo in Jaar's note. It's a pocket-size book and cost $14.95.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:39 PM

The author is Jill Butler. I almost bought the book a few days ago at a Borders near me. I might go back for it because it seemed useful as well as fun.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Yep, it's on Amazon:
Rendez-vous with France: A Point and Pronounce Guide to Traveling, Shopping, and Eating
Published in Paperback by Globe Pequot Pr (April, 2002)
Author: Jill Butler
ISBN: 0762722118
162 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.54 x 6.29 x 5.22
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 06:46 PM

Thanks, I orderd it now, a $7 copy.
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:00 PM

Sorry for the confusion everyone re: author of Rendezvous with France Jill Butler and txs everyone for the corections. I hope it is helpful..it was great entertainment on the plane ride over too!
Old Jan 14th, 2004, 09:14 PM

Not to worry, jaar we ALL do errors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -