Reload this Page >

Rich,,what other restuarants in london

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 10:25 AM
sandy

in a post below you mentioned Geals, and the fact that you have been going to london for 20 years. <BR> <BR>what other good restuarants are in that area that are reasonable. we will have the eff suite at the comfort inn hyde park so we will cook some,,but dinners we want to eat out. (whats the purpose of vacation if you cook all the time?). <BR> <BR>any suggestions would be great! <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 12:12 PM
Rich

<BR>Well . . I lived there for a while in the 80's and then the job took be there 3-4 times a year over the next 20 years or so. To tell the truth, Geals is the only one in that area I went to, because of the quality of the fish & chips (and mushy peas). But I know there are a bunch that I just don't remember them individually. <BR> <BR>When on my own, I tended to go to fish places ( Geals, Seashells, The Golden Hind among others) and pubs. On business, it was usually chosen by others and not so memorable. I do recall an evening at the Boot and Flogger, in or near Blackfriars, that was above the average pub and very memorable. The Angel and the Prince Alfred were two near the office (on Wigmore) that we went to a lot. <BR> <BR>I have been to all the big hotel restaurants at one time or another and they are all good . . just not individually memorable. We went to Oxo Towers last year and although the food is average, if you can get a river side table, the view at sunset is great. There are lots of small Italian restaurants scattered about the city and some Greek if that's desirable. The magazines in most of the hotels will have the more popular ones, but the concierge recommendations was almost always spot on. <BR> <BR>Some of this is likely dated but I hope this is helpful . . Rich

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 12:17 PM
Rich

<BR> <BR>I guess I should add that invarably the best places were the ones I stumbled upon while walking around the place. That is particularly true for the Pubs. You can stop in for a pint and survey the food and move on if it does not strike your fancy. <BR> <BR>You will meet the most interesting and friendly locals in the Pubs. <BR> <BR>Rich

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 12:25 PM
Kev

Sandy, having lived in London for a number of years you really want to pick up the Time Out guide to London to avoid the tacky restaurants and go to the good ones!! <BR>Here's my top five: <BR> <BR>Fish! - Southwark <BR>Barcelona Tapas - St Botolph St, E1 <BR>Any indian restaurant in Brick Lane, E1 <BR>Signor Zilli - Soho <BR>Wong Kee's - Chinatown <BR> <BR>Hope this helps mate! <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 12:57 PM
Beth Anderson

plus, Wong Kee is CHEAP. <BR> <BR>3 of us ate like pigs there, for 15 pounds. <BR> <BR>yes, you heard that right... <BR> <BR

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Rich

<BR> <BR>With credit to Mr. Ben Haines, who lives there I beleive, I stumbled on the following while looking for something totally different. He has some good ideas for you . . <BR> <BR>Author: Ben Haines ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 9/02/2000, 6:34 am ET <BR> <BR>Message: Dear Mrs Wright, <BR> <BR>Let's start with seafood. <BR> <BR>The fairly new fish restaurant in Borough Market, next to Southwark Cathedral, nearest tube London Bridge. Handy for Tate Modern, Shakespeare's Globe, and the Cathedral. <BR> <BR>Also, any branch of Wheeler's. <BR>12a Dukeof York Street, StJames, West End. Piccadilly Circus tube <BR>17 Hertford Street W1, Mayfair, Hyde Patrk Corner tube <BR>33c KingsRoad, Chelsea, bus from Sloane Square <BR>17 Kensington High Stert, W8, Kensington High Street tube <BR>and in the City on Chancery Lane, Fenchurch Street, and Great Tower Street <BR> <BR>No pub serves good fish and chips: they haven't enough dedication. As you know, the best are out in the suburbs. But I do like the one just west of the main entrance to the Victoria Coach station. If you ask the fish and chip shop before you order, you can pop along to the nearby wineshop, buy and open a bottle of white, and lubricate the cod. <BR> <BR>The Founders Arms just downstream of the southern end of Blackfriars Bridge always a fish dish or two, and is good. Of course they have wine by the glass. <BR> <BR>Now carveries. Here you can choose(and come back for seconds) among joins of beef, lamb and pork, with all the sauces and trimmings, in the context of a three course meal, with a starter and a dessert. Which means you want to eat little for 24 hours beforehand. My favouritesare the Betjemjan Room in the Charing CrossHotel, at25 poundsthe meal, and weekday lunchtimes only upstairs in the Albert pub, corner of Victoria Street and Buckingham Gate, nearest tube St James Park, at 15 pounds. <BR> <BR>And then grand English in general, at fifty pounds a meal. One is Rules, 35 Maiden Lane, Covent Garden, and the other is Simpson's on the Strand, just south of Covent Garden. <BR> <BR>I spend eight pounds a meal in upstairs restaurants in pubs. I can copy you a list that I have on disc of these, if you ask me. Not grand, but very London, and in my opinion good food. But then I only get fine dining in Romania and Hungary -- can't afford it elsewhere. <BR> <BR>Please writeagain for the note from disc,or if I can otherwise help further. Welcome to London <BR> <BR>Ben Haines <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:47 PM
sandy c

hi, <BR> <BR>thanks everyone,,this site has been the best for suggestions. <BR> <BR>i will be going in october. i have been to england wales and scotland once before and found pub dining really reasonable and just plain good fare. i think in the whole 16 day trip we may have had only one bad meal,,the rest were great. <BR> <BR>this time we are a strick budget and want to have a couple of nice meals mixed with budget ones. <BR> <BR>sandy