Reload this Page >

Rhine River day cruise

Search

Rhine River day cruise

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 08:31 AM
germany

Rhine River day cruise

hello<BR><BR>I'd be interested to hear some advice on the best place(s) to start a Rhine River day trip cruise - what is the 'best stretch' of river to cruise, how long is it, how frequently do the return boats go back to the car park. <BR><BR>I assume they have stops for getting off and walking around? do you wait for the next boat, does the boat dock for an hour or two, etc etc.<BR><BR>any personal experiences, let me know! this would be mid Sept...

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Ben Haines

The web site http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...e/boot0001.htm lists services: they run through to October. I am pretty sure that the line sell a day ticket for getting off and walking about. If you sail a stretch, with breaks, then you can go back the way you came by train, faster on the west bank, slower on the east bank. I am looking at the timetable in table 914 of the Thomas Cook European Timetable. Cologne to Remagen and Bingen to Mainz are dull, as the valley is wide. Remagen to Koblenz is so-so, as the valley is fairly wide. This leaves Niederlahnstein to Bingen as best, a narrow valley lined with castles, towers and vineyards above you and fine, rich old towns down by the river.<BR><BR>You might board at Niederlahnstein the paddle steamer that plies upstream from Koblenz at 0900 to Rudesheim at 1515, transfer somewhere to the boat from Koblenz at 1100 to Rudesheim at 1700, and transfer somewhere to the boat from Koblenz at 1400 to Rudesheim at 2000. As you see, you have two hours for the first transfer, and three for the second. The pattern downstream from Bingen is very similar. Where to step out for your strolls ? There I keep mum as local spirit among these beautiful places runs deep, and I do not want to lose German friends. The most tactful comment is that every place from Niederlahnstein to Bingen is worth a visit ? indeed, is worth a hotel night.<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Uncle Sam

You might also want to consider crusing or driving down the Mosel as well.<BR><BR>I personally like the Mosel better than the Rhine. You start at Koblenz and continue to Trier, the oldest city in Germany. Cochem is nice and do not miss Burg Eltz, a great, great castle.<BR><BR>Great wine tasting and the scenery is delightful.<BR><BR>US

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 11:10 AM
Barbara

Our favorite stretch of the Rhine is <BR>between Bacharach and Koblenz. This is loaded with castles, the Loralie(sp) and lots of beautiful scenery. Sometimes we have gotten off at Koblenz<BR>had a picnic and often take the train back. You can buy tickets when you board.

Old Jul 28th, 2002, 11:41 AM
lbb

I agree with Barbara. I love that area between Bacharach and Koblenz. <BR><BR>We stayed in Bacharach and made day trips from there. <BR><BR>It is close to Trier by train so you could do a Rhine river cruise and see Trier. <BR><BR>Trier is one of my favorite European locations. Why? I don't know. I just feel at home there almost as if I had been there before. Don't know if you would feel the same though.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 06:08 AM
trying

Probably as a result of a Rick Steves recommendation, we took a cruise from Bacharach to St. Goar, toured the ruins of Rhinefels castle, then trained back to Bacharach. Not a long cruise, but plenty to see.