Reload this Page >

Rhine River Cruise

Search

Rhine River Cruise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 05:33 AM
MMN

Rhine River Cruise

I need some help with logistics for this.<BR>Will be flying into Frankfurt on a Sunday and arriving aroud 8AM. Want to take a cruise on the Rhine but don't know the best way to arrange it.<BR>Do we rent a car in Frankfurt? Do we take public transportation to some city along the river? What website to I check for cruise trips - just a 1 day/few hours thing.<BR>We will stay overnight somewhere along the River - preferably at a castle hotel - maybe for 2 nights. After this area we will head to Rothenburg o.d.T. Do we rent a car after the Rhine area to get to Rothenburg?<BR>Please help. Thanks.<BR>P.S. After Rothenburg we're heading to Munich for a couple of days.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:29 AM
natasha

Hello MMN,<BR><BR>I cannot help too much with the car/train logistics. <BR>Here is the website for KD cruise line's one day cruises: www.rivercruise.com/oneday.htm<BR>I took this boat a few years back. It stops at a lot of towns and you can get off if you want and then catch the next boat.<BR>Here is another website for 1 day cruises:<BR>www.loreley-linie.loreleyvalley.com/rhine/cruises/index.html<BR><BR>For castle hotels, you could try this website: www.rhinecastles.com.<BR>There are a lot of links on this site and you can find a lot of information.<BR>Have a great time.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:30 AM
natasha

Hello MMN,<BR><BR>I cannot help too much with the car/train logistics. <BR>Here is the website for KD cruise line's one day cruises: www.rivercruise.com/oneday.htm<BR>I took this boat a few years back. It stops at a lot of towns and you can get off if you want and then catch the next boat.<BR>Here is another website for 1 day cruises:<BR>www.loreley-linie.loreleyvalley.com/rhine/cruises/index.html<BR><BR>For castle hotels, you could try this website: www.rhinecastles.com.<BR>There are a lot of links on this site and you can find a lot of information.<BR>Have a great time.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:31 AM
bettyk

MMN, don't know what time of year you are going. Some of the castle hotels are closed during the winter months. anyway, we stayed at the Auf Schoenburg Castle Hotel in Oberwesel which is about an hour from Frankfurt and reachable by train, though I don't have the particulars. Personally, I would rent a car in Frankfurt and drive. Anyway, we loved the Auf Schoenburg and highly recommend it. There are directions on the hotel website. You can catch the cruise from Oberwesel as well as any number of stops along the Rhine. <BR><BR>The following websites should be helpful:<BR>http://www.bingen-ruedesheimer.com/rhine-cruise/index.html<BR>http://www.hotel-schoenburg.com/<BR>http://www.loreleyvalley.com/<BR><BR>You are traveling to two of my favorite areas. I know you'll have a great time.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Geoff Hamer

There are railway lines along both sides of the Rhine along the most scenic stretch between Mainz and Koblenz so it is easy to get a train to any of the towns along the river - there is a station at Frankfurt airport. You can check German train schedules on www.bahn.de. The boat trips are seasonal and most of them finish around this time of year. Try www.k-d.com, www.bingen-ruedesheimer.com or www.loreley-linie.com, but there are other local operators as well.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:56 AM
Russ

I's suggest Auf Schoenburg Castle in Oberwesel as well. From there, ride a boat north to Koblenz or south to Bingen - either way is beautiful - then train back. You should probably have a car for Schoenburg if you'll be coming and going a lot - it's high on a hillside over the river - or plan on taxi service. Otherwise, I'd prefer to take the train if you're just headed to the Rhine and Rothenburg. Both areas are well served. I

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Jim & June

On our annual &quot;Honeymoon&quot; 4 or 5 years ago we flew into Frankfurt where we picked up an Auto Europe car, rented through their Maine office. We drove a few miles to Assmannshausen which is on the Rhein, where we found a nice small hotel for a couple of nights. We were able to take the cruise boat from a dock right in front of our hotel. The boat stops at different towns along the river where you can get off to explore and catch another boat to continue your trip. We arrived back at out starting point after dark. <BR><BR>We then drove the east bank of the Rhein downstream, visiting the castles along the way, staying another couple of nights in Boppard. From Boppard we cruised upstream. This way we were able to cruise the entire Rhein Gorge on two day trips.<BR><BR>From Boppard we drove south to the Romantic Road, staying in Rothenburg o.d.T, Munich and eventually in the Fussen area. <BR><BR>As usual we did not have advance hotel reservations which means we can go day by day without having to rush to find your next overnight. We returned home from Frankfurt.<BR><BR>Hope you enjoy your trip as we did!<BR><BR>