Rhine in 1 day, from Mainz

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2024, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been so many informative posts as to how to visit the most scenic part of the Rhine. Using all that info, I pieced together a one-day plan for us in late May. We'll be based in Mainz. I'd appreciate any corrections and suggestions. We are not trying to visit castles, and mainly plan to enjoy the river scenery, stroll a few of the towns, enjoy casual snacks and meals.The afternoon train times are just estimates, so I have a rough idea of timing:

7:32 Train from Mainz to Bingen. Will need to buy a one-way ticket for this leg for each of us.
In Bingen:
-- Buy the all-day one-way train pass (for two people) needed for later in the day.

-- Walk to the ferry and buy 20% discounted ferry ticket
-- Light breakfast in Bingen
9:15 Depart on ferry to Boppard
12:15 – Arrive Boppard after mandatory stopover in St. Goar(?) Sightsee and lunch in Boppard
15:44 - Train to Oberwesel: Sightsee
17:26 – Train to Bacharach: Sightsee and dinner
20:06 – Train to Mainz
Old Mar 13th, 2024, 09:06 PM

It sounds like a well-thought-out plan. I would caution you about that word 'ferry' though - you will be on a river cruise boat (I think KD does the most cruises, not sure about other companies). There are ferries (i.e. car ferries) to take people from one side of the river to the other where it's not practical to drive to a bridge. I think there is a ferry at Kaub and bridges at Koblenz and Mainz.

I wonder if you would not be better off with a Rheinland-Pfalz ticket - unlimited travel on both sides of the river allowing you to hop on and off at will, and will cover both Mainz - Bingen.

Basically the shape of it is good. If you are just poking around towns and not doing any serious activities (castles, falconry, wineries / wine tasting), that is all you would need. But don't forget to see Mainz, which warrants a day on its own also!

Lavandula

Old Mar 14th, 2024, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Lavandula, thank you for responding. We'll have 3 nights in Mainz, so for the Rhine cruise we'll be able to choose either of two days depending on the weather forecast.

I've found only limited websites in English, but I understand that the Rheinland-Pfalz ticket is valid only from 9am on, so that's why I'm thinking we need to also buy specific tickets for the 7:32 train to Bingen. And it's the Rheinland-Pfalz fare for two that I was thinking we'd purchase at the train station before we head to the cruise port, so that we can get the cruise discount.

Open to any other feedback or recommendations for sites/cafes.

Old Mar 14th, 2024, 04:44 AM

Did you find Rick Steves' "Germany" guidebook on the "Rhine Valley" section not detailed enough?

I agree with you that the Länder-Ticket (Regional pass for one single German Federal state) is good Mon-Fri after 9 am, and all day Sat and Sun.

I believe you may show ANY train tickets which get you to the boat dock to receive 20% off the cruise fare. 30% off if you are seniors over 60 (show your passports), because 30% was the discount I received several years ago, and I did not have to show my train ticket.

Not sure what you meant by "mandatory stopover in St. Goar". These cruise boats make a few stops along the way, to let customers go and off.

Last edited by Reading54; Mar 14th, 2024 at 04:54 AM.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Reading54
Did you find Rick Steves' "Germany" guidebook on the "Rhine Valley" section not detailed enough?

I agree with you that the Länder-Ticket (Regional pass for one single German Federal state) is good Mon-Fri after 9 am, and all day Sat and Sun.

I believe you may show ANY train tickets which get you to the boat dock to receive 20% off the cruise fare. 30% off if you are seniors over 60 (show your passports), because 30% was the discount I received several years ago, and I did not have to show my train ticket.

Not sure what you meant by "mandatory stopover in St. Goar". These cruise boats make a few stops along the way, to let customers go and off.
I have read so many posts... and so somewhere -maybe even on the cruise schedule -- it indicates that there was an extra long stop in St. Goar.
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Is the Länder-Ticket the same as the Rheinland-Pfalz? I'll be at a ticket machine so best to have the terminology used there.

Rick S has a lot of good logistical info, but I don't always agree with his substantive recommendations (sights, restaurants etc).
Old Mar 14th, 2024, 11:58 AM

Yes, it is the same - all the states (Länder, singular Land) have their group day tickets. Rheineland-Pfalz is the state on the left bank of the Rhine, but they generously allow travellers to use their tickets in the part of Hessen along the right bank as well.

Lavandula
Old Mar 15th, 2024, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lavandula
Yes, it is the same - all the states (Länder, singular Land) have their group day tickets. Rheineland-Pfalz is the state on the left bank of the Rhine, but they generously allow travellers to use their tickets in the part of Hessen along the right bank as well.

Lavandula
thank you!