Reload this Page >

Reykjavik Information

Search

Reykjavik Information

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Mary Kate

Reykjavik Information

Traveling with family of 5 and wonder how easy it is to make a connection to another leg of our trip at Reykjavik Airport. Don't want to be walking long corredors and lugging our carry-on luggage with three small children. Any experience from someone who's used this airport?

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Keflavik Airport is not all that large -- certain to be much smaller than the place that you began your journey from. Perhaps think of it as one concourse worth of a metro airport, for the sake of comparison. The gate areas themselves are rather sparse in terms of ammenities, but there are a few shops and a place to grab a bite in the main airport. It's all quite convenient and easily managed.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Caitlin

Mary Kate, just wondering why you posted this question three separate times? This board gets a ton of traffic, and you may have to scroll down a good ways to locate your post, or run a search.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Don in VA

As Jim said, Keflavik Airport is very easy. There are only 6 gates. Be aware that they do not announce boarding, so try not to nap! Most connections are made in less than an hour after arrival--just enough time to pop in to get an Icelandic wool sweater, some snaps or aquavit, or some sort of pickled fish bits (yummm!). No need to exchange money--USDollars readily accepted at the airport shops and cafes.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 03:04 PM
Mary Kate

Thanks for the help. I have never posted before, and had no sense of the flood of postings. When I didn't find my post in the first 50, I resposted. And then my mom, to help me out, also posted. So, sorry for cluttering things up, and thanks again.

Old Apr 9th, 2001, 03:57 PM
Don in VA

I just found this (new?) virtual tour of the airport: http://www.icelandair.is/vrtour/index.html

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 03:29 AM
topper

Topped for someone with a similar question.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 04:02 AM
Gloria

Just to add my two cents. I took my three children to England via Icelandair and stopped at Reykjavik. It is the only way to go! The gate area is only a block long. There are shops and a couple of restaurants. We have been to many airports is the states and Europe. This is a great way to travel with kids.