Reload this Page >

Rex..is your trip still on?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 10:56 AM
just

Was wondering how the plans were? I've been away from the board for quite a while. Where can one find out more about it? Seem to recall you had a website?

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 11:33 AM
Rex

The trip is on as I write this, but the prospects seem to be getting dimmer for it proceed according to plan. The webpage is www.rexbickers.italy.com but I have not updated it since mid-July. <BR> <BR>In August, we had the happy addition of one traveler's mother, and two other participants to make a group of seven. <BR> <BR>I have now heard indirectly that Lynn and her mother plan to withdraw from the trip. One of the new "add-ons" was supposed to leave ahead of the rest of today to London, and apparently will not be able to fly on schedule. She is trying to decide what to do. Another of the "later add-on" participants is uneasy; that leaves only two (Claye and stacey) plus myself (firmly? apprehensively?) committed to proceed. <BR> <BR>We have been very impressed by the company www.rentvillas.com - - they have offered to reduce our villa rental by their FULL sales commission (20%) - - and they have provided reassurance that if we are unable to fly at all, they beilive that they will be able to obtain a full refund (from Cuendet who actually "lists" the house in Europe). <BR> <BR>Two of us are on United, Five were supposed to fly on Lufthansa. Lufthansa has apparently NOT resumed any regularly schuedlued trans-atlantic flights (they HAVE flown diverted aircraft back home to Germany). I have been unable to determine the status of UAL trans-atlantic flights. <BR> <BR>Yours... <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 12:54 PM
toobad

When do you leave Rex?

Old Sep 14th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Rex

We are scheduled to leave Sep 19. I would personally accept a re-schedule to Sep 20 or Sep 21, though I don't know how the remaining other participants feel about it. <BR> <BR>Delaying further than that means making a whole new trip, in my view. <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 05:16 PM
mo

Rex(before I go any further I am not the mean rude Mo that has been all over this site in the last couple days), I've been noticing your name a lot lately too. So I am curious (ok call me nosy) how much travelling do you do? Where are you from? The group that is travelling with you are they friends from home or are they actually people you have met here. Sorry if I'm being too nosy. Oh and happy belated birthday.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 05:57 PM
Miriam

Hi Rex, <BR> <BR>I hope you are able to go. <BR>Lufthansa has resumed the normal schedule today (that`s from the news-don`t blame me). All 26 flights scheduled to North America left Germany as planned (with some delays of course). <BR> <BR>Kind regards <BR> <BR>Miriam

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 06:58 PM
Harvey

United 's press release looked like they were resuming many many flights to Europe. I plan to reconfirm my flight and exchange my email tickets Friday or Sat for flight to Paris leaving 9/25. Anyone heard anthing about United?

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 07:17 PM
Rex

Our trip is still ON - - call it the gloom and doom of this past week's events - - but I am having a little bit of trouble jumping up and down, rejoicing that six of the seven participants are planing to proceed with the trip. <BR> <BR>We are not changing the dates of our trip, and actually anticipate that our flights may operate on schedule (the corresponding segments, on UAL and LH that we are supposed to take on Wednesday, are due in to Frankfurt on time or ahead of schedule tomorrow morning). <BR> <BR>You can read more about me, trips I have taken and trips I aspire to take on the webpage mentioned above, mo... <BR> <BR>By some measures, I am one of the most prolific particicpants on this site over the past 22 months - - sometimes popular, sometimes reviled. At other times, I would write more about myself here, but my heart is not "into that" as I prepare for this trip. <BR> <BR>I hope to be able to post a more upbeat and informative update about overseas travel "after 9-11". <BR>