Reload this Page >

Reveillon in Paris

Search

Reveillon in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 1997, 02:08 PM
Safs Armstrong

Reveillon in Paris

My wife and I are travelling to Paris next december for a 15 days stay. We are arriving there on monday 29, and we will be glad to know on experiences on Paris reveillon, on where to go and what to do during our stay, mainly on raining days. Thanks a lot.

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 04:54 AM
Ed

I have been to Paris/France about a dozen times. Many
museums to see. Versailles.For a nice day trip take the
train to Fontainbleau. About a 45 minute train ride
from Paris. Large chateau where Napoleon stayed and
the city is beautiful. I enjoy just walking around Paris,
the metro is extremely easy to use (subway). Buy a
Visite card if you are staying that long, lets you ride
metro, buses, etc. Visit Gobelins tapestry works, they
have been making tapestries there since 17th century,
Sevres porcelain factory, Hotel Invalides (Napoleons
tomb is there. A magnificient city, if you have any
other questions you can email me. Regards, Ed

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 09:31 AM
Christina

I think there may be a language problem here,
because I know French fairly well and do not
think "reveillon" is a word, so I don't know
what you mean. Due to your travel dates,
you may be talking about New Year's Eve
which is the Feast of St. Sylvester in France.
People are out partying just like most places,
I guess -- especially lots of people around the
Sorbonne in the Latin Qtr. and on the Champs-
Elysees -- just head those ways and you'll find
plenty going on. As for the rain, Paris has
dozens of museums, which are a good idea when
it is raining.

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 05:10 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Hi! I'm sure you've looked it ujp and therefore KNOW that there is indeed a word "Reveillon" in French--though, if you're not arriving in Paris until 29 December, you will have missed any observances of it by five days. Reveillon usually refers to a supper that precedes the Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. There MAY be restaurants that put on such affairs--but customarily it is a FAMILY celebration. During the 19th century these were very big here in French Louisiana (where I live); but even here we run into fewer such celebrations in an increasingly technological society.
I defer to Christina on the Parisian observance of New Year's Eve--I've not been there for that and here in French Louisiana that night is more usually observed with firecrackers. Lots of them. Have a good trip though. Joan

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 06:09 PM
Anne-Louise Bach

Enchanté, Msr Armstrong. Je suis brésilien et je parle un rien de français. Le terme "reveillon" se référe a la veille de le jour de l'an, autrement dit le 31 décembre. Peut-être aussi le souper de Nöel. Cela ne fait rien, je vous souhait bonnes vacances. Bonne année. Et a bientôt! Anne.

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 10:03 PM
Christy

Joan, Who were you referring to when you said " of course you looked it up" (reveillon) Are you referring to the asker or the answerer because obviously the answerers up to that point didn't know and couldn't find it. The closest I can come to is
reveille, which means to awaken or arouse, so glad you knew the answer, just can't figure out what you meant!

Old Sep 26th, 1997, 10:25 PM
Tricia

OK..OK.. Went into EXCITE search engine and typed in "Reveillon in Paris" and guess what!! Several websites came up, some in French, but enough that I could tell that IT IS NEW YEARS EVE. The biggest celebration seems to be out at Europa Disneyland and there is a website for that and then there are others wherein buffets and bands will be playing. And just for the fun of it I'll tell you about a beautiful country Inn, called what else, Hotel Le Reveillon. What a feast for the eyes, Beams and Stones and a golf course, ph 33 160 022 526, its on the same page with the celebrations!

Old Sep 27th, 1997, 08:53 AM
Safs Armstrong

Sorry, we'd ask only for advices on "reveillon". If somebody can tell us about the New Year's Party in Paris we will appreciate. Thanks a lot. Safs

Old Sep 27th, 1997, 09:55 AM
Tricia

Safs, Don't think there is just one New Years Eve Party, think you got to find one and choose. That's why I gave you the website.. go in and look at who is having a party where and choose or ask your travel agent! or try Paris Disney I know its a blast in the USA!! (you old trouble maker you!!) Happy reveillon!!

Old Sep 28th, 1997, 06:15 PM
Anne-Louise Bach

Hi, Mr Safs. I think you can try "L'Espadon" to have a marvellous dinner on reveillon or in another special day! Try "foie gras cuit rosé au vin de Médoc". It is unespeakable! But if you really want, make a reservation just now, because this very beautiful restaurant is always filled up. And... it is not cheap!
A bientôt. Anne-Louise.

Old Oct 20th, 1997, 08:19 PM
Tricia

sending up

Old Nov 8th, 1997, 10:55 PM
Tricia

This seems to be a never ending question so sending up for the next guy in line.

Old Nov 9th, 1997, 11:22 AM
Steve

Spent new years in Paris 3 years ago. We went to the opera first then changed into more comfortable clothes and wandered to St. Germain de Pres area. Got a table at Cafe de Flore and had a wonderful time celebrating with all the people sitting around us. The weather was cold and rainy most of the time, but we walked everywhere anyway. There are so many beautiful museums-especially the Musee D'Orsay. Also went to the ballet which was a treat as well.