Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Provence

Search

Restaurants in Provence

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 02:56 PM
Bob

Restaurants in Provence

I need a recommedation for a quality restaurant in or around Avignon, preferably one that won't break the bank. Thanks <BR>

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 10:04 PM
Martha B

This is straight out of the Gault-Millau Guide, not a personal recommendation. In Avignon they list Le Petit Bedon, Le Bistro Lyonnais, and the 220 F menu at the Heily Lucullus as especially good values. The Heily Lucullus is the highest ranked of these three restaurants. <BR>I can tell you from personal experience that many of our guests from America are amazed at the general quality of restaurants in France; I don't doubt that the Heily Lucullus, which Gault-Millau ranks 15 out of 20, can serve a delicious meal.

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 05:04 AM
Ellen

Have heard great things about the Cafe des Artists in Avignon but didn't get a chance to eat there! <BR>Ellen

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 01:35 PM
Steve

When my wife & I couldn't find a hotel in or very close to Avignon (via the Web) for our May visit to Provence, we "settled" for a small hotel in a village named Carianne. It's about 40 minutes or so north of Avignon; a nice drive through becuatiful country and quite close to Vaisson la Romaine (sp?). <BR>The hotel/auberge in Carianne has a web site (in English) and a comfortable (but not luxurious) restaurant in the main house, one of the owner's childhood home. I don't remember the food being consistently spectacular, but the local wines were excellent, the view of the vineyards wonderful, the staff attentive and pleasant, and the meals very enjoyable. One note -- I tried a rabbit dish and regretted it. I guess I'm too accustomed to pastas, chicken, and fish. The two evening meals we had at the hotel, with a bottle of wine, were less than $50 per meal for two.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 02:39 PM
marty michaels

I was in Avignon last month; the concierge at our hotel recommended Le Petit Bedon, mentioned above. It was one of the best meals of our time in Provence (and there were many). Very tiny, romantic place with a reasonable menu.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 05:56 PM
Joan Doyle

Dear Bob: I recommend Hiely Lucullus, absolutely the BEST restaurant in which I have ever dined (and I come from south Louisiana so my standards are HIGH) As we say around here, Bon appetit! I wish I could go with you. Joan

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 11:14 PM
greg

Try Les Florets at Gigondas