Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Paris for $10-15 per person???

Feb 2nd, 2001, 02:00 PM
Jill

I just lost my job - at a dotcom, had a feeling it was coming - but I'm not cancelling our trip to Paris. It's not until May and I'm sure I'll have something by then.

However, we'll probably need to tighten our budgets for eating. We've been to Paris before and of course will do many lunch/dinner picnics, but foodies that we are, love to eat in restaurants. (They may just be different restaurants . . .)

Any recommendations for $10-15 price range dinners would be very welcome.

By the way, we're staying in the 5th and are fairly well-acquainted with Paris.

Thanks in advance.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 02:33 PM
Jack

Hi,

I have spent lots of time in Paris at varying budget levels. Check out a book called Le guide du Routard (in French) for decent places at a price. Some of these are on the Left Bank in the 5th and 6th arondissements, and not only couscous places!

Bon voyage et bon appetit

Feb 2nd, 2001, 02:38 PM
aj

A good restaurant we found in your price range (from Cheap Eats) was Chantairelle in the 5th. Can't remember the street.

Feb 2nd, 2001, 03:53 PM
Jack

Jill,
It's me again - I forgot about a French site that lists good places by arrondissement "le guide des restos pas chers": www.restos-pas-chers.fr/
with menus at 70-85 francs. Hope this works out and that the dollar doesn't weaken too much before you go!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 07:50 PM
Valerie

I just got back from Paris 2 days ago and stayed in the 5th on Rue des Ecole. There was a fantastic Coucous place called Restaurant du Palais at 16 rue Monge (near rue des Ecole) for about 65 Francs pp without wine. For a great 3 course meal with wine, try walking across the Seine to Chez Max, 47 rue Honore in the 4th, with 2 prix-fix menus at 85 and 135 Francs (and the most fun decor!).

But, if you can spurge just one time, make it Le Petit Prince de Paris at 12 rue Lanneau near La Sorbonne. This out of the way restaurant was worth the time trying to find it! Absolutely fantastic food. There were 3 of us each getting a 3-course meal and splitting 2 bottles of wine for a total just under 700FF (less than $100). I think the prix-fix was 185FF per person. Go to 38 rue des Ecole and turn south UP the hill (I can't remember the name of the street). Lanneau will be the first tiny street to your right and around a slight bend on the right is Le Petit Prince. Bon Appetite!

Feb 2nd, 2001, 08:43 PM
Sue

We ate at a delightful bistro in the 6th: Bistro de la Grille--prix fixe with multiple choices for starters and main courses (14, rue Mabillon behind St. Sulpice)--think it came to $50 for two w/wine.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 01:02 AM
Sherry

A friend of mine from Paris bought a book (in French)to lunch that had a lot of suggestions for inexpensive places to eat. It is called Paris Pas Cher or close enough that you can find it in any book store in the city. We saw it when I was searching for maps. Anyway, even though I don't read French, I was able to jot down a couple of places in the 6th where we were staying. We tried one, a pizza place near our hotel. It was not fancy, but a nice break from the two hour, three or four course traditional meal. Salad, pasta and a drink, or pizza, a crepe and a drink was about 60FF. And the food was very good. In fact, after seeing the book, I noticed some of the smaller places had the cover displayed in a window or glass door. It listed places by price range and area. Give it a try. It also lists a description of the restaurant, but that was Greek to me. The name and address should be enough information for you. If I read any French, I would have bought it. Hope this helps.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 04:27 AM
Peg

Sherry, Sounds like that book is affiliated with the website that Jack mentioned. Check it out. I'm not good with French but can glean enough info from it to be useful. There are even some photos, etc.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 06:25 AM
Mariarosa

Frommer's has an article called something like the cheap restaurants in Paris. In that article they recommend a great little place called L'Ami Leon. We were there March 98. It's a small, quirky, charming restaurant with an owner who is also quirky and charming. He was the cook and the waiter! Only another couple besides us was in the restaurant and the food was delicious and inexpensive.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 09:17 AM
Jill

Thanks for all the great suggestions. We're looking forward to some good cheap eats for dinner!

Feb 3rd, 2001, 05:35 PM
Melissa

Jill, my favorite cheap eats are at Le Fete Gallant, located at 13 rue des Ecoles Polytechnique. The cook, Bibi, is this really jolly guy and the service is good. The prix fixe menus there can't be beat. Go there early in your trip so that you can eat there twice.

Feb 3rd, 2001, 06:21 PM
Randy

Jill:

Last September one of my friends from Chablis came to Paris and took me out for dinner to a very nice restaurant and the price for a 3 course meal was 120F. We split a bottle of wine at 85F.
They are open for lunch and open again about 7:30 for dinner. The name and address follows and it is located just west of Bastile, Ledru-Rollin Metro.

La Table d'Aligre
11, Place D'Aligre
75012 Paris
01 43 07 84 88

Feb 4th, 2001, 06:46 AM
Patrick

I think the best two areas for you are Rue Gregoire de Tours, running between Rue de Buci and St. Germain; and the packed restaurant area on Rue St. Severin or Rue de la Huchette. There are surprisingly good places that offer 3 courses with lots of choices for as little as 95 francs, often including decent wine. I hate to admit it, but we once did what I think was a 115 franc three courses, that included one of the best pieces of beef, great fresh mussels, and the best chocolate mousse I've ever had in Paris! The only problem with those two areas is ignoring the guys in the street trying to drag you into their place, but if you see a packed restaurant and no one is encouraging you to come inside, you'll know it is the best one to go to.

Feb 4th, 2001, 11:46 AM
Don and Linda

Hi Jill,

Our Paris 2000 travelogue, written after our three-week trip in November, is packed with great value restaurant ideas for your trip. Check it out at
http://www.thetravelzine.com
The Travelzine.com is non-commercial

Bon Voyage!
Linda and Don

Feb 4th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Edwin

Don't worry. Tons of small inexpensive restaurants all around Paris. Avoid the over-hyped, tourist restaurants (like Fouquart's on the Champs where a cup of coffee is five bucks!). Food at these places are rarely worth the expense. Lots of small, fun, tasty restaurants in La Marais and La Bastille.

Feb 4th, 2001, 08:28 PM
Capo

Everytime I go to Paris, I eat at the Restaurant des Beaux Arts, which is, as you might surmise, very close to the Ecole des Beaux Arts in the 6th, near the Seine. Legend (or perhaps truth) has it that the paintings on the walls of the restaurant have been done by art students in exchange for meals over the years.

Feb 5th, 2001, 03:17 AM
Angela

Hello Jill:

If you want to watch your pennies but still eat well you may try eating at restaurants for lunch when the fixed-price menu is cheaper. Then for dinner you could have a crepe or something lighter.

Here are some budget restaurants I've tried. They're in the 4th and 11th. That's where I live so I know these better. Cafe de la Poste on rue Castex (very good and the average is about 120FF), Le Petit Gavroche on rue Ste-Croix de la Bretonnerie (some of their dishes are quite good but the price is unbeatable - they have a dinner menu for only 48FF and lunch is 45FF), Pain Quotidien on rue des Archives (excellent food, filling salads at 75FF and tartines around 50FF), Le Petit Keller on rue Keller (very good food for about 50FF at lunch and 75FF at dinner), and La Zygotissoire on rue de Charonne (again, very good food, the price is a bit higher, dinner 110FF and lunch 80FF).

Bon Appetit!
Angela

Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:04 AM
Renee

Bringing this back to the top since the last response is well over a year old. I would like to know about little known paris restaurants that offers lots of ambiance but reasonable prices. Maybe some off the radar, hidden jewel that most tourists don't have a clue about??

There will be two of us and we'd like to stick to the $10-$15 per person range....we'd rather spend our money on sightseeing, shopping & daytrips and while we desire to experience genuine french cuisine, eating will be more for sustenance than doling out outrageous sums of cash just to say that we ate at the Jules Verne!

Any ideas will be appreciated.

Renee

Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:49 AM
Mike

A lot of great suggestions, prices, and restaurants in FF's. What is the Euro equivalent?. Do they still spend FF's in France, and Euros?

Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:09 AM
aj

I was lucky to catch Paris on $40.00 per day with Rachael Ray last night (Food Channel). I just love to see anything on Paris but here are some of her hints on $40.00 a day. Some of her meals were under $15.00. It will air again Sunday, Oct 6th, 1:30 pm. You might find this interesting/helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO