Restaurants in Girona

Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Girona

We are looking for a good restaurant near the Hotel Historic, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Susan
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:34 PM

El Celler de Can Roca, carrer Taiala, is not cheap, off center and excellent.
Phone : 972.22.21.57
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:09 AM

Can Roca is a great restaurant! among the best in Catalunya (not counting El Bulli)....it currently has two Michelin stars, to give you the picture. Probably will cost you close to E100 per person with wine.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 02:55 PM

Susan-
I had a wonderful lunch at a small restaurant smack in the middle of the historic section of Girona, near Hotel Historic (where I also stayed). The name of it is Cafe Le Bistrot and it is at Pujada Sant Domenec 4. The food is regional Catalon. It is small so I'd reserve (if possible) or arrive early. They had a menu del dia (lunchtime only) for 20 euros including wine & water. There was a choice of several firsts and seconds. I had escalivada as my starter, which is very typical of Catalonia. It's a mix of roasted peppers, eggplant & onion. Roasted lamb was my main course. Miel & Mato, a yummy local cheese and honey, was my dessert.

If you want tapas instead of a full meal, in the old town there is Zanpanzar. This is a Basque tapas bar so you'll actually have pinchos. The address is Calle Cort Reial 10-12.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 05:03 PM

Hi Susan and CathyM,
I'm filing away that recommendation of Le Bistrot (CathyM makes some really great finds in her Spain travels), and I can second the traditional Basque pintxos bar, Zanpanzar, which has a small dining area for sit down dining on traditional Basque fare.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 05:31 PM

We had a wonderful dinner in Girona about four years ago at Boira on the Pl. de la Independencia at #17. We ate at an inside table overlooking the river and the picturesque buildings across it in the older part of town -- amazing view!

Just dug up a biz card and my notes. Tel. reserves 972 21 96 05

Notes get a little harder to read as the courses go on, and there is a mix of languages I've written in but this is what I can decipher: "nice selection of wine very reasonably priced" (hence the need to decipher)
20E Matarromera 1999 Crianza;

Salad of colores (mixed nuts strawberries, orange, raisins, serrano, parmesano;
Cannelloni - bacalao brandade, beautiful presentation w/ green and black olives;
Seafood ravioli.

We moved on to main courses:
Tuna with chopped tomatoes, drizzled in amazing olive oil.
Ternera, braised, roasted shallots.

Dessert: Crema Catalana au naranja
"Crunchy apple cake" w/ cinnamon helado.

We loved every bite and sip and view. I believe my note of "75E" was the total price for two including vino.
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 05:43 PM

Okay, I neglected to notice the particular area of Girona you were interested in, but the resto I mention (Boira) above is just over the river from the historic center.

To make amends, I post this link to other restos I found when checking the 'net to make sure I was remembering the right place:
http://www.cntraveller.com/Guides/Sp...lt.aspx?Page=3