Restaurants in Florence, Italy

Oct 29th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Restaurants in Florence, Italy

Planning a long weekend trip to Florence. Can anyone recommend some GOOD not too expensive restaurants.
Oct 29th, 2005, 09:43 PM

Il Coquinarius on Via delle Oche 15r, was recommended to me by a local Florentine(it is close to via Calzaiuoli, inbetween the Duomo and Piazza della Signoria). It is an enoteca with an extensive wine list and a wonderful menu, wellknown for its unique pasta choices. I had a late lunch there after visiting the Uffizi and it was one of the best meals of my trip. The interior is dark wood; the walls are decorated with vintage posters of Italian advertisements. The clientele was mostly Italians and European tourists. The staff was attentive and kind. Prices are in the medium range. I highly recommend it.
Oct 29th, 2005, 11:08 PM

I really liked Acqua al Due, Via della Vigna Vecchia 40r. Great pasta. Rachael Ray ate there on her $40-a-day program. Open evenings only. Boots
Oct 30th, 2005, 06:39 AM

RBob

You might want to check out this thread.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34698285

I offered a list of restaurants with that description and other members have graciously commented.
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:08 AM

I loved Guelph Grotto (or it might be Grotto Guelph - it's been a while since I've been). It's just outside of the Piazza della Republica and it's very good and not too pricey. They have an excellent minestrone soup and all of their pasta dishes are superb. I particularly enjoyed their lemon taglioni dish as well as their lasanga. I believe I paid about 40euros for dinner for 2 with soup or salad, a main dish and the house wine.

They're open for dinner and lunch. I ate there multiple times and tried something new each time. It's a great stop for lunch - quick, cheap and a lovely atmosphere. For dinner, you might need to reserve a table if you dine around 730pm. If you tend to eat dinner a little earlier (6/630), then getting a table isn't a problem.
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:39 AM
ira

Hi rb,

Il Ritrovo Via dei Pucci 4/A 055.281688 Full dinner w/wine abt 40-50E pp Closed Monday
From Pzza San Giovani (NW corner of the Pza del Duomo) walk one blk East to Via dei Martelli. Go left to Via dei Pucci. Turn Right. Look very carefully on left. No sign. Door could be locked. Ring bell.

Salaam Bombay, Via F. Rosselli 45r
Where the locals go if they want something exotic. A good, inexpensive Indian restaurant. Excellent nan.

Oct 31st, 2005, 10:25 AM

Walking south on “Via Proconsolo” we turned left on “Via della Vigna Vecchia” and stopped at “Acqua al 2”. http://www.acquaal2.it/restyle/ing/indexing.html

------------------------------------
Also on “Via del Proconsolo” the “Caffe Bigallo”

Here is the link: www.caffebigallo.com
06.5818899. Caffe' Bigallo, Via del Proconsolo, 73/75 R - 50122 - Firenze

The restaurant offers a rich menu of dishes typical and a selection of dishes that recall the traditional kitchen Tuscany and Mediterranean.

For dinner we ordered: Chianti wine, Salad (one of their salads?), Penne all’ arrabbiata (Spicy Penne), Lasagne Vegetariane (Vegetable Lasagna), Zuppa di Verdura (Vegetables Soup), Controfiletto al pepe verde (sirlon with green pepper), and Controfiletto alla griglia (grilled sirlon with artichokes and green beans). Also ordered was, two desserts, dui espresso and two cappuccinos. Total 70.80 euros. Three people.

Oct 31st, 2005, 10:48 AM

I vote for Beldivino. Its a trattoria right near Santa Croce (if you're facing Santa Croce church, its off to the left, as if you're walking past the church). Granted I was with a tour group as it was our included dinner that night, but we were set off in the other half of the restaurant so don't think you'll be surrounded by tourists if you eat there. I had the best Bolognese sauce and pasta and tiramisu for dessert. Simply fantastic and I'm a picky eater. If you google it, I'm sure you can read other reviews.
Nov 1st, 2005, 04:53 AM

Osteria dell Agnolo on Borgo San Lorenzo between the Duomo and Church of San Lorenzo. Great food, excellent wines and they won't break the bank.
Nov 1st, 2005, 07:49 AM

I loved Osteria La Congrega. It was my favorite in Florence and one of my all time favorites in Italy. It's tiny-only about 6-7 tables and the atmosphere is very cozy and romantic. The food was excellent. I don't remember the exact location, but its definitely in several guidebooks.
Nov 1st, 2005, 09:37 AM

Trattoria Quattro Leoni in the Oltrarno district was one of our favorites on our trip last month. Wonderful food, great atmosphere, terrific service, and prices that were more then reasonable.
Nov 1st, 2005, 09:42 AM
ira

Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco,
43 Borgo San Jacapo
Very pleasant atmosphere. Good, but not outstanding, food. Interesting local wines.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:21 AM

Il Latini, Il Latini, Il Latini! www.illatini.com...

Just got back 3 days ago and would highly recommend it - fun, not pricey, and excellent food. And you DO have choices... there will not be a printed menu, but you will be given a few choices for each course. I'm guessing if you check out TRSW's trip report (he's still writing) he has a good write up on it, as we met up with him for dinner.

Ira - While we LOVED Il Ritrovo, I have to say we didn't do anything extravagant and our bill was 130+EU - so prices might have risen with their popularity!

I promise to start writing soon...
Nov 2nd, 2005, 05:32 AM
ira

Hi travelphile
>While we LOVED Il Ritrovo, I have to say we didn't do anything extravagant and our bill was 130+EU - so prices might have risen with their popularity! <

My goodness!!

Two years ago, a full dinner with 2 bottles of wine and a glass of Vin Santo was only 105E.

In March, 2005 a poster reported that dinner for 4 was only 170E.

What did you have?

Nov 2nd, 2005, 07:30 AM

We just returned from Italy, where we visited Florence for the 5th time. We tried a couple of old favorites (Osteria de Cinghale Bianco and Beccofino)and a couple of restaurants new to us (Osteria di Benci and Il Ritrovo). Based on our experience this time around, we loved both Beccofino - wonderful food and ambience, excellent Chianti Classico - and Osteria di Benci - delicious but simple food and a fun place. We were a little less enthralled by Osteria del Cinghale Bianco - it was so full of tourists that the management was rushing to turn over the tables and the food was pedestrian - and Il Ritrovo - the food was good but not outstanding and it was surprisingly pricey considering the quantity and quality of the food.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:34 AM

Three that are good and less expensive than most of those mentioned are

Pallotino... not far from Santa Croce, next to Vivoli.

Trattoria Alfredo..between Piazza del Duomo and Piazza Signoria

Casalinga... Oltrarno

These are all quite good, with T. Alfredo being the nicest looking of the three. You can eat inexpensively at all of them.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 09:06 AM
ira

>Il Ritrovo - the food was good but not outstanding and it was surprisingly pricey considering the quantity and quality of the food. <

Oh dear,

Has success spoiled Il Ritrovo?

Nov 2nd, 2005, 10:34 AM

Was in Florence in the middle of September.

I highly recommend Il Ritrovo and Il Latini. By far our best 2 meals in our 3 weeks in Europe.

I didn't find the Il Ritrovo prices to be that bad.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:46 AM

Ira, It is interesting that you should wonder that. In my recent report, I told about my dinner there in Sept. In 17 nights in Italy, it was by far the worst meal of the trip. First course was good but not exceptional, the steak was terrible, overdone and contained plenty of grizzle. I guess every restaurant can have a bad night, maybe I just was the lucky one to be there for theirs.
Nov 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM

Just to clarify, I was talking about Il Ritrovo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO