Restaurants in Dublin on Christmas

Old Nov 14th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in Dublin on Christmas

Good evening!
My husband and I will be in Ireland for the holidays, and I am trying to find restaurants that are open on Christmas day. Does anyone have any idea where I can check other than just googling it? I've done that and come up with "Christmas Lunch and Christmas Dinner" at many restaurants, but that means that you can have a Christmas party there before Christmas. They are not open on 12/25.

Thanks!
Chris
Old Nov 14th, 2016, 09:44 PM

Hi all,

I am an old Fordorite that has been away a few years. Let me try to help with Dublin as I lived there for 20 years in Dublin. n Christmas the only places open will be hotels and it a set menu normally and pricey but really nice. We usually go to the Westin Hotel on Xmas eve for the buffet in the ball room. Its stunning and Santa comes for the little ones mid dinner. Its about 70-80 euro a head. with a glass of hampers included.

The Shelbourne Hotel also does an Xmas dinner. These are the two I know of and I have only participated in Xmas eve at the Weston but we have done that for 4-5 years and enjoyed it. I am doubtful any restaurant is open on the day not attached to a hotel (A major hotel not smaller ones)

Enjoy!

S
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 02:22 AM

Our entire family is headed to Powerscourt hotel for Christmas eve and Christmas day.

http://www.powerscourthotel.com/cmsF...kages_2016.pdf

As Siobhan said, your best bet are the large hotels.
Also, check out the Chinese restaurants - some will be open.

Try this:
https://lovindublin.com/dublin/these...-christmas-day
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 02:35 AM

This is one of those situations in which the perfect is the enemy of the great.

You could spend a lot of time dithering around looking for perfection. All the places recommended to you are going to be excellent; none is going to be cheap.

You need to go ahead and bite the bullet and book your hotels and meals for the weekend NOW. If you have to save money, save it elsewhere on the trip.

I hope someone will let you (and me) know about Boxing Day in Dublin. I have spent it in Edinburgh, and it was pretty quiet. I would want to have that day worked out as well since Christmas is on Sunday.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 07:11 AM

It's not unusual for places to be closed on Christmas day so that they can enjoy the holiday with family, but you can check Open Table Dublin (www.opentable.ie) to see what's available on the 25th. There are a few Irish restaurants on the list.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 08:09 AM

Check out Clontarf Castle Hotel. Its about 3 miles outside city centre but is a lovely historic building and always looks wonderful at Christmas. They are open on Christmas Day.

In Ireland we don't call it Boxing Day - (unless you are in Northern Ireland). The 26th December is St Stephens Day with us. It is traditional in some parts of the country to have Wren Boy events. In Dublin the custom has been revived in Sandymount - check it out here http://www.dun-laoghaire.com/dir/wranboys.html
St Stephens Day is also a big day at Leopardstown Races.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 12:21 PM

Thanks so much for the information on the Wran Boys!

Who knew?
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 12:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
http://www.thepigsear.com/christmas-at-the-pigs-ear/
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 12:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
So sorry, someone said they would be open but this is a pre Christmas dinner. Are you in an apartment or hotel? I should have read better. This place is very good though.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 04:49 PM

Best advice. Book a Hotel package that includes meals for the Christmas weekend. As given above Christmas day and St Stephens day are full holidays.
Old Nov 15th, 2016, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Good evening!
Thank you all for your suggestions. That's what I was afraid of.

Someone asked.... We are staying at a hotel, and it does have a dinner. I'll check others, too.

Many thanks!
Chris
Old Nov 17th, 2016, 09:35 PM

Ger Powerscourt sounds lovely. Is that the Ritz Carlton or the one nearby?

Chris - St Stephens Day (NOT Boxing day) is pretty quiet in Dublin.
All shops and tourist sites are closed as well as Pubs as this is traditionally a Dry day but restaurants and bars the past few years have been opening in the evening. I find it quite dull but the Wren in Sandymount as mentioned above is fun (And the pub there is open for some reason!). Also its a big day at leopardstown races and this can be quite fun.
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I do appreciate it. I've booked, and we'll be fine. We do want a quiet time as it will be the end of two weeks there, so all will be perfect.

Siobahn, thanks for the recs for the 26th (and the clarification that it's St. Stephen's Day!).... I'm going to check them out asap.