Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurants: Explanation of Fodor's pricing descriptions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2008, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I'm looking up restaurants in Prague and can't find a definition for Fodor's pricing descriptions ($/$$/$$$/$$$$)? Usually there is a key that tells you what is included in the estimate (appetizer, main, glass of wine, etc.) and how much it costs. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:19 AM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2
this is a recent thread about resturants in Prague tmere is a link to a Resturant Blog that will give prices and also links to other resturant websites where you can look at prices.I travel to Prague quite often but seldom eat in high end resturants prefering to eat in Hospodas (resturant bars) of which there are many in the city. My favoured places are also on that thread i have put up.I can only compare prices to what i pay in Britain and i would say generally prices in the city are about 20-30% cheaper than at home.
Places in the main tourist spots like all aother tourist cities tend to be much higher.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:30 AM

http://www.expats.cz/prague/restaurants
this website might also help you,there is a list of different types of returants and you can click on them and get a lsit of places in that range,then click on specific resturants for prices.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
POSTER:
Aren't you asking a bit much of a simple key?
Taken to your ideal, one would have one key that would be informative for Tokyo (the most expensive city), for Buchlovice (a far less expensive town), etc for all the cities in the world. The $ price in Tokyo would probably be more costly than the $$$$ price in Buchlovice.

Not to mention the relative cost of those items within: a pate on toast points would be a cheaper appetizer than would lobster rarebit; a glass of Bordeaux in Paulliac would cost more than a glass of Tokay in Eger.

Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 07:16 AM

Hi,

I don't have a current Prague guide but usually the legend is in the beginning of the restaurant section if you're looking at a city guide. Perhaps they have moved the legend.

I'm looking at another Fodor's guide and the index (back of the book) under restaurants shows they have 2 pages for "price categories" where they show the approximate prices for $, $$, etc. Try looking this up in the Prague guide.
Old Nov 2nd, 2008, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I will follow those links so I can at least get a ballpark figure. Appreciate the recommendations included too!

tomboy, I'm not asking for perfection but just some reference point - for example, $$$$ could mean $100 or $500 per person. Typically, guides include this information.

Unfortunately I don't have the current guide - I was just looking at the listings on the website. Guess the idea is to buy the guide, right? =)
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Original Poster

Back from my trip and thought I'd post an update. Based on my experience, I'd say $ = $10 per person, $$ = 25, $$$ = 50, and $$$$ = $75+ for an appetizer, main dish, and a glass of wine.

On a separate note, Cowboys was amazing! It was the best meal I've had in a long time. Highly recommend.