Search

Restaurants?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants?

Hi, my husband and I will be staying at the Hotel Tamaris in Paris, France. If anybody can recommend reasonable and quaint restaurants closeby our hotel it would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:10 PM

You need to put the name of the city in your subject line and the address or at least neighborhood of the hotel in your question so people who know can answer.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Oh no, my bad! I am sorry.

Can you please tell me how to put the name and so on in the subject line?

Thank you!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:17 PM

You should also state what you consider reasonable. And do a search here, for there have been dozens and dozens of recent threads on this subject...
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Hi eskruncy, thank you for the help. How do I search for those threads?

By reasonable we are hoping to spend no more than 15 euros per person at dinner including wine. For lunch we don't want to spend more than a few euros per person drinks included. I think water is free so maybe we can save more by getting tap water.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:24 PM

A good friend and Paris addict raves about La Boulangerie at 15, rue des Panoyaux , very near Pere Lachaise
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:24 PM

You need to start over with a new post.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Hello jody and thank you for the name of the restaurant. Do you have an idea of what the menu is like and the cost? We want to not spend more than 15 euros per person including wine.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:40 PM
rex

Note to ekscrunchy...

See http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35041413

Searching has not worked here for the past ten weeks.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:43 PM

I have been away much of the summer. But I have also searched a few times recently and was able to find results, so...
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Use Google maps to search.
Go to www.google.com, click on Maps.
enter your hotel address, mailcode, Paris, France and pull up the location map.
Click on 'search for businesses' then enter "restaurants" and search. Enter "cafes" and search. Make a list of the results.
Then choose some, google for information about them, post here and ask. Also you can go to the library and look for restaurant books, like Sandra Gustafson's "Great Eats Paris"...

Don't be afraid to take the metro closer to center to eat at some nice restaurants, either. You can enter into the search box above this message "restaurants" and then drop down "France" and search, and many of the resulting threads will be about Paris. Or you can enter "Paris" in the search and all the results should have something about Paris.

You can go to the "Restaurants" section of this website for Paris and check there.

Not a lot of people stay in the 20th so you may not get very many suggestions about restaurants very close to your hotel, but you will get some because there are a few folks who 'branch out'.

Another idea: go to www.tripadvisor.com
Pull up the hotel reviews for Hotel Tamaris - see if there are any reviews and if anyone suggests places they went to eat.

That should keep you busy!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 12:50 PM
DAX

To be realistic, it would very hard to find dinner & wine for 15 euro in Paris. You can find some menu specials for 12-15 euro (food only) in certain areas (Left bank, Marais, Place d'Italie) if you keep your eyes open.
Perhaps you can save money on some evenings by eating gyros or sandwiches that cost 4-6 euros and then splurge the extra saving for a French dinner. Lebanese & other ethnic food may also give you cheaper options. Why not enjoy the multicultural offerings in Paris.

Old Sep 8th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all, but to NeoPatrick, as funny as it seems to you, no, I was not joking about us wanting to spend no more than 15 euros.

Apparently that is too low of a budget. I will research the options you and others mentioned. I read that rue de la Huchette has very cheap dining choices.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:03 PM

Choose very carefully off rue de la Huchette - cheap doesn't necessarily mean good, or even safe cooking. I imagine there are acceptable places but do some research on them first.

We don't eat expensively in Paris... You can get lunch at walkup counters that sell baguette sandwiches for around 3-4 euro (which probably would be 2 servings, I can't eat a whole one). Sodas for about 1.5-2 euro each, or a bottle of water for slightly less. Street vendors sell crepes with all kinds of fillings for a couple euro. So I'd say a lunch budget couldn't be much less than 5 euro per person.

There is a thread about dinners for 20E or less, I'll try to find that one. We sometimes eat at an Asian 'deli' kind of place for about 23Euro total (2 people, rice, veggies, chicken, shrimp, a beer and a water). You can get a pizza and 1/2 carafe of wine for around 20Euro. Most brasserie/cafe places will have roast chicken/fries for 9-11 euro, or a big salad, or a large bowl of mussels w/fries on the side...

A nicer dinner will cost more like 18-24 euro for the food (3 courses) and the wine would be 5-8 euro/glass or 15-18 for a half-carafe. We rarely come out of a 2-3 course + wine meal for less than 40 euro total.

You can eat differently during your visit, that is - do a couple of 'cheap' meals and do a couple of 'nice' meals so you keep your budget and you get a variety of experiences.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Here is the thread:
Stalking the Elusive 20euro Dinner
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34965189
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:10 PM

I would rather eat pre-made sandwiches from the Monoprix than eat on the rue de la Huchette and risk food poisoning or worse.

15 euros is a really, really tight budget for dinner, especially if you're expecting wine with that. In fact, I'm not sure it's possible. With that sort of budget, I'd recommend you get carry-out food from one of the innumerable and very good charcuteries or boulangeries that serve sandwiches in Paris and supplement it with a 3 euro bottle of wine from Franxpris or whatever the nearest supermarket is to your hotel. Eat in your hotel room or in a park. Enjoy.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:13 PM

"I would rather eat pre-made sandwiches from the Monoprix than eat on the rue de la Huchette and risk food poisoning or worse."

How absurd. Thousands (yes, thousands) of people eat meals in that area every day. Food poisoning is no more likely there than anywhere else.

I realize it lacks "snob appeal" and although I walk through there a lot, I have only eaten at restaurants there a couple of times. In each case, the food was surprisingly good for the price and I have no reason to doubt the cleanliness or safety of those places. Just absurd!

But jenniferg, I suggest you READ my posts. I said nothing about joking about 15 euros for dinner. It was the 2 euro lunch with drinks I suggested you were joking about!
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Yes, I like to eat at restaurants.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:24 PM

Well, NeoPatrick: The last time I ate on the rue de la Huchette I did get food poisoning. AND, the thing that kept rubbing up against my foot under the table was...a dead pigeon!

And that wasn't my only bad experience there.

Sorry if I'm a bit turned off by that particular street...there are so many restaurants to eat at in Paris, I figure I can write off a whole street if I choose and not lose out on much.
Old Sep 8th, 2007, 06:42 PM

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, and I'm not trying to change your mind, but to assume that because of one bad experience (or even a couple) at a specific restaurant is a reason to "blacklist" several hundred restaurants because they happen to share a similar general location is absurd at best. If I got food poisoning or rubbed my foot on a dead pigeon at a place in Greenwich Village, New York -- I doubt strongly I'd suggest people not eat in the Village for fear of food poisoning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -