Restaurant Recommendations Moscow & St Petersburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Moscow and St Petersburg for Easter and wondered if anyone could recommend restaurants partícularly Russian/Georgian/Armenian/Uzbek. It's been 6 years since I lived there so the restaurant scene has changed but I used to visit Tiflis & Elegance in Kitai Gorod Moscow, I wonder if they are still good restaurants (or if they still exist?)
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 12:56 PM

I'll have more recos this weekend (I'm out of my office right now), but my personal favorites are Karavan in St. Petersburg, for Uzbekitani food (Karavan 46 Voznesensky pr.), and Cafe Ararat in Moscow (in the new Park Hyatt), which I find to be more "modern" than the traditional Armenian restaurants in the Capital.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 09:17 AM

I will be in both cities in August. I am intersted in reasanably priced restaurants with good food. Also, if any one know restaurants for special ocasions ( my husband's 50s b-daya).
Thanks.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I found Elegance, it has been renamed (and refurbished it seems) to Noah's Ark. Looks very nice judging by their website. Also on my list is U Pirosmani near Novodevichy Convent. I will also try Karavan in St Petersburg.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Thanks for all the helpful information. I saved it for my elderhostel trip to Russia in June. If we are not obliged to eat all our meals together (one of the disadvantages of a tour), that Uzbeki restaurant sounds interesting.

And I am about to finish Pimsleur Russian 1. I opened the carton on Pimsleur Russian 2 today. I expect to finish about half of it before the trip. I just hope people speaking to me confine themselves to language in the dialogues!
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Noah's Ark is a stunning Armenian restaurant in a very old part of Moscow, food is very good indeed, not too pricey for Moscow (around $150 inc wine for 2) and very nice for a special occasion. They don't speak English but the menu is in English and you can view their website www.noevkovcheg.ru. U Pirosmani is a Georgian restaurant, also very lovely with beautiful views of Novodevichy convent, great food and service, same price as Noah's Ark. They have a website too. I also like the American Bar & Grill at Mayakovskaya. In St Petersburg, I like Sadko's at the Grand Hotel Europe, very inexpensive but great food with live music every night, Ladies night on Thursdays. They have Russian and international dishes, sometimes have a buffet at lunchtime ($16 per person). Also recommended is Demidov, more expensive and a fine restaurant (Russian & Georgian cuisine). They have live gypsy performers (although I didn't like it much- I didn't feel they added anything as they weren't especially talented-but anyway)
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:38 PM

topping