Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant Recommendations in Tuscany/Umbria?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:43 PM
Pia
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to Marcialla, Sienna, San Gimignano, Gubbio, Perugia, Assisi, Spello and Rome. Does anyone have favorite restaurants?
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:06 PM

We are making out third trip to Italy May 20th. The following is a popular list of excellent restaurants in Tuscany:

Siena
Osteria le Logge 0577 480 13 Moderate Cost Closed Sunday Location Off campo, lunch great; exc risotto/pasta; fish lasagna

Cane e Gato High cost One seating @ 8 fixed menu

Tenuta Lupinari Bucine (our villa) €31 Closed Sun & Wed Includes wine

La Torre 0577 28 75 48 Closed Thurs

San Gimignano, Volterra, etc.
Ristorante Il Pino Located in S. Gimmy Closed Thurs Order: pasta/meat dishes

Le Vecchie Mura In S. Gimmy Low cost Closed Tues Good Tuscan fare; not fancy; view

Arnolfo Colle di Val d’Elsa High cost Closed Tues &Wed lunch; www.arnolfo.com; gourmet

Il Pozzo Monte-Riggioni Mod exp. Closed Sun evening & Monday Rustic taverna in ancient fortress

Montalcino, Montepulciano, etc.
Boccon di Vino In Montalcino Mod expensive Closed Tues View; excellent; fixed lunch menu

Grappolo Blu In Montalcino Low cost; Closed Fri; You will find locals

Latte du Luna In Pienza Mod exp.Best choice lovely village

La Grotta In Montepulciano Mod exp. Closed Wed; Excellent, near San Biagio

Caffe Poliziano In Montepulciano Low cost Great for lunch; www.caffepoliziano.it

Le Logge del Vignola In Montepulciano; Table by window

La Chiusa In Montefollonico Make reservations; High cost; closed Tues Remote, best in Tuscany

Osteria del Leone 39 0577 887300 In Bagno Vignoni Low cost Good choice spa hamlet

Florence
Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco Mod cost Closed Wed Across Arno

La Giostra High cost 12 Borgo Pinti
Cavolo Nero Florence Exc lamp, pasta, seafood

Miscellaneous
Trattoria La Lancia dc ‘Oro In Arezzo
Al Gallopapa 39 0577 741939 In Castellina Try ossobuco

Trattoria al Vecchio Forno In San Quirico Low cost Authentic Tuscan fare

Osteria del Leone 39 0577 88730 In Bagno Vignoni Low cost Good choice spa hamlet

More than you asked for but hope it helps.

Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 05:25 PM

Philip - this is just what we needed for our trip next week! Thank you very much. Now I just need restaurant recommendations for Rome!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:12 PM

Hi dork if you type restaurants and Rome in the search box above you will pull up tons of info. Have a great time! I'll be behind you by a week!
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 06:45 PM

I sure like your list Philip. Hmmm ! It seems very familiar.
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:30 PM

Don't miss Taverna del Lupo in Gubbio.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Hi Pia

I just came back from Siena, Perugia, Assisi and Spello. Take a look at the end of my trip report and you'll see the restaurants we went to and what we had. Happy eating.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 10:00 AM

I second Buongiorno's recommendations for Spello: Il Molino (a little more expensive) and La Cantina. Both are on or near the main "square" (it's more like a wider part of the street...) Piazza Mateotti and very close to the Collegiata church that has a wonderful chapel with frescoes by Pinturicchio.

But do note that they are both fairly traditional, La Cantina more than Il Molino.

If you are into something more nouvelle-y and fusion-y, foodies rave about the restaurant at La Bastiglia, a hotel at the very top of Spello.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM

In Perugia, you MUST eat at Dal Mi' Cocco (which, literally translated means "from my coconut", i.e. from the chef's head)

You do not have a choice of what comes to the table on any given evening, but you get the following: a plate of antipasti, two types of fresh made pasta, two secondi, and a couple of desserts. They also have house wine by the carafe.

My husband and I ate there and for 30 euro (including wine, water, and all that food) I think it was the best meal we had in all of Italy. Very fresh and delicious.

It is located near the Universita' dei Stranieri (Palazzo Gallenga) and Piazza Fortebraccio on Corso Garibaldi. I believe it is reservations only; the number is 075.5732511. They are closed mondays.

On a personal note, I never was able to eat there when I lived in Perugia since it was too expensive for me at that time ("too expensive" being 18,000 lire per person). I finally got to eat there last year when I went back with my husband and it was everything I hoped it would be and more.

The pizzeria across the street, called Pizzeria Etruschetto, is also out of this world - run by a guy from Naples, so you know it's good

There is also a great gelateria called Gelateria 2000. If you are walking down Corso Vannucci (away from the duomo and the palazzo dei priori, toward the escalators and piazza italia), it is on a little side street that branches off to the upper right of Piazza della Repubblica. I think the street is called Via Bonazzi. All their gelato is made in house and the scoops are generous.

Old Apr 24th, 2005, 03:41 PM

In Rome, L'Orso 80. Great antipasti and located near P. Navona.