Reload this Page >

Restaurant Recommendations in Theatre District in London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 09:49 AM
Amanda

I was wanting some dinner recommendations for the theatre area in London. Also, do most people eat before a show (8:00pm) or after? I'm looking for anything good, tell me about your favourites! <BR>Thanks

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Kav

I think most people eat before, though I am judging this on the large number of places offering special pre theatre dinner menus and the few places offering post dinner ones (though some do offer both). <BR> <BR>There are many posts here on London dining and many of the places are central and good for theatre. <BR> <BR>I think a good London Restaurant guide would have maps which would be the easiest way to find a place near the theatre you are visiting... <BR>

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 10:55 AM
jill

A great pub unknown to many because it is difficult to find is called the Grenadir- it is located in a mews in Belgravia. You must go even just to have a drink- they do have pub food- but the atmosphere is not to be missed. You won't find many tourist here. There was a photo in one of the magazines recently with Madonna coming out the door the week before I was there.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 01:11 PM
kam

A classic restaurant for pre theatre is Rules in Maiden Lane. They offer a less expensive early menu at 5:30 as I remember and specialize in game. I can never wait until after the theatre, by that time I'm no longer hungry.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 01:50 PM
Judy

Hello Amanda, did 2 pre-theater dinners before The Lion King, and Witches of Eastwick(which was great, by the way). Went to Cafe du Jardins(very close to the theaters), and had their pre-theater dinner and it was very good and relatively inexpensive 9.95gpb for 2 courses and 11.95 for 3courses...had salmon, chicken and beef as main courses,,,Also went to Livebait which had the same type of pre-theater type of dinner for the same prices,,,,both were very good and I would recommend them both,,,,,,We also made reservations with both of them from coventgarden.com, and it was very handy, IMHO Judy

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 01:51 PM
Patrick

I always rent a flat in the theatre area and nearly always eat after the show. Judging by the number of people eating at the hour, we are not alone in preferring after theatre dining -- less pressure to get to the theatre on time, and less likely to nod off from too much food and wine in a warm, crowded theatre. Rules, mentioned above is however an exception due to their incredible bargain pretheatre special. Unlike most places, the full menu is offered and you choose any three courses for a fix price. We do that our first night in London, when we know we will not make it to late dining. <BR>Soho is filled with great places, and after the theatre you often don't need reservations, (although they will be busy, not jammed). Soho-Soho is one of my favorites, especially upstairs, but the downstairs is more casual and also good. I also really like Mon Plasir, French bistro type of place on Monmouth. Very cheap, good, and fun is Belgo Centraal near Neal's Yard which has great Belgian beers, mussels, and roast chicken. A more upscale place that I really like after the theatre (they also do pre-theatre specials, I think) is Le Palais du Jardin on LongAcre. There's also the London outposts of Joe Allen's and Orso, both in the theatre district. Very fun and good semi-mid eastern influenced food is Sarasto, near Theatre Royal Drury Lane. The interior is like backstage or in an opera prop room. They even have a couple of little balcony tables overlooking the whole thing.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Judy

Sorry, that was: coventgardenlife.com

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Kathy

There are quite a few good Italian restaurants in the area. We have been to 2 or 3 and all have been good. <BR>I can't remember the names. <BR>I think one was Italian garden.

Old Feb 25th, 2001, 04:23 PM
Nancy

Here's a few suggestions for you. Browns (not the hotel) on Upper St. Martin's Lane serves both a pre and post-theater menu for 10 pounds (two courses) as late as midnight. Good selections and good quality. You'll recognize the restaurant by the twin flaming lanterns at the entrance. Also, Sophra at 36 Tavistock, if you like Turkish food. There are many locations for this restaurant, but this one is close to the theaters. We usually eat after the shows, as too rushed before.

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 11:29 AM
coco

While the nay-sayers are legion, I am a big fan of The Ivy, before or after the show. Also, the Criterion has a price-fixe pre-theatre menu--at £17 a very nice meal in a beautiful landmark space. An after-theatre favorite is Live Bait. (All of these are on the Zagat site for further info.)

Old Feb 26th, 2001, 12:27 PM
jhm

Check out Frith Street in Soho. Bar Italia has the best cappucinos in London and is a wonderful atmosphere for a post-theater snack. Made in Italy, on Frith as well, is a really wonderful modern Italian restaurant. I also like Satsuma on Wardour Street (I think -- block away from Frith towards the West) -- pan-Asian food, more casual and quick.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:43 AM
GGinSF

I'd second Nancy's suggestion of Browns. I had an excellent meal there (lamb steak w/ mint reduction sauce). It's right smack in the theatre district, upscale enough without being stuffy. It's a bustling braiserie with a British & French fusion.

Old Feb 27th, 2001, 06:56 AM
kate

Just a note on pre v post theatre dining. The special fixed price theatre meals at most restaurants tend to be pre-Theatre, as many people dine late in town anyway, so they don't need to offer the financial incentive. Pre-theatre, on the other hand, restaurants are much quieter which is why you can get the special deals. <BR> <BR>I always recommend the Hardens Guide to London Restaurants as the best foodie guide - you can order a copy from their website www.hardens.com