Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant lunch on the banks of a stream in France:?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anybody lunched on a terrace by a river or under shady old trees? We're thinking there might be some restaurant in Normandy or the Indre along a little river deep in a valley. The Loire is too broad and open for this purpose. A water mill would do us also. Not asking too much, am I?
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 06:20 PM

http://www.pariscanal.com/actus.php3?id_rubrique=13

This mentions an island on the Marne, not too far from Paris, where there is a bucolic scene described; it's part of a cruise, but there must be another way to get there. Cigalechanta posted this a while back.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 07:07 PM

Ohhh! We did - twice. The first was near Giverny, the Moulin De Fourges: www.moulin-de-fourges.com. Wonderful food and ambience!

Second was in Pont Aven, Le Moulin de Rosmadec, phone 02-9806-00-22. The river flows on both sides of the terrace - it was so tranquil and calm! Great food and friendly service, too.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 12:47 AM

La Fleche on the Loir, about 30 miles from Angers: a mill in the river, accessible by footbridge.

I don't remember the name, but you can't really miss it.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 02:02 AM

Near Paris, there's a forest just adjacent to the Chateau Chantilly. You can access this forest coming from Paris on the route national. This is the road which passes next to the Aeroport Le Bourget.

In the middle of the forest is the place called (Okay, it's simple)"Le Restaurant du la Foret". The food is very good. The price was very low, as compared other restaurants. And, there's a small stream next to the restaurant.

It used to charge Prix Fixe at 65 francs. This included any starter, any main course, and any dessert. There was a bit of wine included. There was a bottle of red, white and rosé on the table. If you finish any bottle, it will be replaced with another.

Of course, the coffee was extra. This was in 1979, so the prices has increased. I've visited this place over the years and the prices have gone up a bit but the quality has always been good.

Remember, this is the Royal Forest for the Chateau Chantilly.

Blackduff
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ayed severl nights at the Rosmadec but it's in Brittany. The rooms lookout over the river Aven. Many times we have dined at the Forges because we could walk the same road from friends but now they are in poor health so we will stay at another favorite the Moulin De Ruats in Avallon(Burgundy and since we have no reservations the last night we'll try to return to two other places not far grom CDG, Leslie Caron's hotel The Auberge La Lucarne aux Chouettes in Villeneuve-sur-Yonne that faces the Yonne river or mayb Les Bords se Seine in La Roche Guyon that faces the Seine.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Hotel/Restaurant de la Térrasse (appropriately enough) at Moret s/Loing on the Loing. Lovely setting, very nice food, wonderful pleasant staff. Ask for a window table.

George Sand Hotel/Restaurant in Loches. On the Indre. Gorgeous surroundings (city's floral gardens across on the other side), good food. The terrrace overhanging the water is small though, so I'd make reservations. At dinner they have lights on underneath the waer and you can see all the fish swimming agains the current. Very romantic on the terrace.

Both are Logis de France, if that matters.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:57 AM

Klondike, can you get to Moret sur Loing from Paris by train? I can't find the journey on sncf.com
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:02 AM

Another plce we stayed twice that's not far from Paris is the Hostellerie Le Gonfalon in Germigny-L-Éveque that overlooks the banks of the Marne. Two of the rooms we stayed in had huge screened in terraces,
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 09:27 AM

How about La Chaîne d'Or? It's on the banks of the Seine in the village of Petit-Andelys in Normandy, about 2 hours from Paris. There's no terrace, but the dining room has French doors (of course!) that open onto the verge of the river, and the location is positively idyllic. So is the food.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Not a stream, but you can have a nice meal at La Maison Fournaise on the banks of the Seine on the Ile des Impressionistes just a 20-minute train ride out of central Paris.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Oops, sorry Coquelicot - Cigalechanta is right, Pont Aven is in Brittany...I just read your other post and realized that you're limiting your choices to Normandy and near Paris. Sounds like you have several great suggestions though!

Have fun and happy eating!
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM

bookmark
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody. I've really enjoyed checking out the websites of the places you recommended (those that have 'em). The one in Brittany is a definite possibility. So what if we have to drive a little out of our way (like hours) for a scenic good meal? That's why we're there!

There are a lot of reasons to return to Loches, and the George Sand's view of the eye-catching municipal gardens
and the river is one of them.

Now how about opening this up to places anywhere in France w riv vu & gd fd? We can recommend Le moulin fleuri in Veigne and Moulin de Chameron at Bannegon.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Auberge de I'ILL near Ribeauville in Alsace,
Hotel Marachel in Colmar, Alscae
Chez Jacky in Belon, Brittany
Hotel Corniche, Pyla-sur-mer (near cape ferret)
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 07:33 AM

Cigalechanta, what is the town where you ate at Rosmadec? Near the coast?

Moulin des Fourges looks wonderful if for some reason La Chaine d'Or is booked.
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 07:53 AM

Rosemadec is in Honfleur. Fourges is a restaurant , it would make a lovely inn. He also owns La Bord de Seine in Roche Guyon
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Now I'm getting mixed up. The Rosmadec we ate at is in Brittany, on the southern coast in Pont Aven, between Quimper and L'Orient. Website:www.moulinderosmadec.com.

Is there another one in Honfleur, or am I mis-reading things?
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 08:21 AM

Sorry, I 'm bit fuzzy today. IT IS IN Pont Aven right off the main Street down a little mews. Brittany!!
Old Aug 16th, 2007, 08:23 AM

But lunch by the harbor in Honfleur, Normandy is fun too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -