Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant in Hotel du Nord - Canal St. Martin area in Paris - anybody been?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for experiences on the food and ambiance from anybody who's been.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:26 AM

Bill I have not been, but you might be interested in this article on the area, if you have not already read it. By the way, I think you are my neighbor...

http://travel2.nytimes.com/2005/10/0...d9&ei=5070
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, ekscrunchy.
I have not read that specific article - good information.

When you say "neighbor", do we live in the same building? Neighborhood?
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:35 AM

Immediate neighborhood, I think...
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Good. Glad to know that there's a neighbor with similar interest.

I notice in other threads that you've been gathering info on Paris. Bon voyage!
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Here's Fodors review:
http://www.fodors.com/miniguides/mgr...;feature=30020
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 06:50 AM

Bill, thank you. I am leaving next Monday for Basque country (Bayonne, San Sebastian), Domme rental for a week, followed by 6 days in Paris. Food is a major interest. I live in far East 50s...not sure why but I thought you were around here someplace..
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy,

Yes, I am around there someplace ... very close to 1st Ave. You may have probably noticed some of my responses (and occasion mud-wrestling) in the NY areas in the US forum.

Also, leaving soon for Languedoc and Dordogne areas - I will be led blindly on the exact logistics during trip as the wife made the arrangements (for the first time and I don't know how - I thought for an instance that you were her when you posted that we were "neighbors&quot. I just have to look after restaurants and the wine visits, as she knows that I'm very picky on these things.

The Basque country? Nice. It is on our radar screen, esp. in the near future.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 07:21 AM

Bill I knew I had read your posts here and on another site. Funny that you thought I was your wife!! I am east of First. Well let's keep asking questions and see what we can discover. by the way, you have the fun part of the assignment, doing the food and wine arranging. Leave those other pesky details to someone else!! I wish we could find a bit more current info on Dordogne eating...I will keep trying! I did ask here..maybe will bring those queries to the top.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 09:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The real place for bobos to go (rather than rich fake bobos) are the restaurants at Place and rue Sainte Marthe, very near the canal. And one of the only authentic cafés along the canal is the Jemmapes.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

kerouac,

Any particular restaurants at Place and rue Sainte Marthe area ? How's the food?

I don't know if I'm a "bobo" or not. But I'm willing to pretend to be one if it means eating good foods at those restaurants.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:28 AM

Although this may start a debate, I would tend to stay that a bobo is more interested in the atmosphere of the nightspot than what is consumed there.

But you might want to try the Sainte Marthe itself : http://www.fra.cityvox.fr/restaurant...05/Profil-Lieu
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:19 AM

So a bobo is not a boho? Or a BCBG?
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:45 AM

A bobo is a bourgeois who prefers a bohemian lifestyle. A bcbg is a bourgeois who wants to appear as upper class as possible, very much addicted to brand names. A boho would appear to be someone who wants to live as a bohemian whether or not he has not achieved bourgeois status.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 01:47 PM

Kerouac, that is great, thank you. Are the terms bobo and bcbg derogatory? Would anyone admit, for example, to being a bcbg? A bobo? Are there any other terms like this you would care to share...it is kind of amusing and interesting, to me, at least....
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 08:47 PM

Any of the terms can be used as an insult or an affectionate term -- it depends who is saying it and how. Or can simply be descriptive. If you are telling someone "elle est très bcbg," it paints a very quick picture of what to expect when meeting the person.
Boho is not actually used in France. Terms using "alter" (as in 'alternative lifestyle') are preferred.
Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 11:22 PM

Tentative definition of the bobo-
How to spot a bobo

The Parisian subspecies occupies a specific niche in the world of urban trendiness.

The bobo is basically a city professionnal, with a good wage but not necessarily wealthy, who, out of necessity or by choice, has adopted a more frugal or "bohemian" lifestyle than his social status would normally allow.

Extends adolescence well beyond marriage age. Politically left-leaning, yet full of contradictions. Loves the (ex) working-class/ethnic neighbourhoods (while making those neighbourhoods disappear by simply buying property there and pushing up prices) but would hate to put his/children in school in those places.

With age, becomes more and more bourgeois and less and less bohemian Eclectic and adventurous in taste. Loves riding his Dutch bike to the nearest ethnic foods market to buy the best couscous, etc. Loves 1930's antiques. Buys old dentist chairs in junk sales to decorate his converted workshop flat (appartment).

Look : carefullly ungroomed. Neat three-day beards. Rollers and three-wheel baby-trolleys.

Favoured habitats : the eastern Paris neighbourhoods, especially along the canal Saint-Martin...
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:00 AM

Try Chez Prune on Quai de Valmy, it's where the "branche'" people go around there. Also there is a nice winery on
Rue de Lancry (I believe) right next to the Canal. On Sundays they close the Quais to traffic, which is nice.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 04:57 AM

Ok, so what is "branche?" Hip?
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 05:30 AM

Yes, "branché" means hip. In the case of Chez Prune, it means a nice evening atmosphere but not much to eat on your plate. At those prices, I don't need "branché."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -