Restaurant in Barcelona ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We only have one night in Barcelona before our cruise departs - can someone recommend a good restaurant ? We are staying at the Hotel Regina which they say is located at Las Ramblas & Paseo de Gracia. I saw 2 on the Fodor's site - L'Olive and Mey Hoffman - anyone try these and Oh, how do we make reservations for over there ?? We will be there in 4 weeks - Thanks.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:10 AM

With only one night, I would go to Quo Vadis. It's Catalan-French and not far from where you are. Do a google search and you'll find them.
Old May 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM

JerseySue,
I've never dined at Quo Vadis (will put it on my list-the Campsa guide likes it too), but I have enjoyed meals at L'Olive on Balmes 47, walkable from your hotel. It serves traditional catalan cuisine in a lively, bistrot type setting. About 50 euros p.p. Closed Sun. night
Phone: 934 521 990

Mey Hoffman is one of Barcelona's best gastronomic destinations (also a cooking school) and rated 2 suns (soles) out of 3 in the Campsa guide. It's located in El Born on Argenteria 74 and would be further from your hotel. If you want to have a gastronomy meal for your one night (and price isn't an object-will cost at least 120 euros for two), you would enjoy it.

Web: www.hofmann-bcn.com
phone: 933 195 889
closed Sat/Sun
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:43 AM

I can recommend two, personally, neither of which was expensive (probably about 25-30 Euro/person, with a drink)

Les Quatre Gats: Very famous 'modern' building. I had an incredible beef carpicio there. Here's more info:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...Gats-BR-1.html

The other is Les Quinze Nits. The line starts forming at 8:00, for the opening at 9:00. Plenty of people watching to be done while waiting in line. If you're in line before the fountain, before 8:30, you should get in for the first seating. Here's more info:
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel...Nits-BR-1.html
Old May 18th, 2006, 12:33 PM

mey hoffman was very special. i had lunch there. i think it is part of a culinary school downstairs. my suggestion (both, more casual) is cal majo (by the beach) or cal pep (opens at 8, there will be a short line) for tapas & people! didn't have one bad meal in barcelona.
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys - I am always pleased with all the restaurants you guys on Fodors recommend - now my husband asks - did Fodors recommend this one ? and he'll be eager to go there - Thanks Again This is going to be a tough one - only one night and we go to Europe to eat !!!
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:14 PM

Download Maribel's guide and you can't go wrong. www.maribelsguides.com
Old May 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM

i have not yet had the pleasure of hoffman dining, however, friends of mine went twice last time in barcelona.
they said it was an absolute total dining experience. not to be missed.

Old May 19th, 2006, 02:28 PM

Hi,
We just got back from Barcelona 2 days ago.
Check out our gastronomic pages:
http://www.wongngravrok.com/2006-05b...tronomicpages/

We had a nice lunch at L'Olive. Must try to order 1) canelloni and 2) salt cod. All i can say is....Yummy! (too bad I don't have pictures to show)

re: reservations. Have your hotel reception make the reservation for you. This way, there will be no misunderstandings. Note that they are closed on Sundays.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:01 PM

Marvelous!!! Despite all the talk about food in Paris, give me Barcelona any day.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - looks like we're gonna go with L'Olive if we can get in ! I agree with ekscrunchy - haven't been to Spain yet but Paris was the worst food I have ever eaten - we found all the Italian and Sicilian places there - they were the best in the world !
Old May 23rd, 2006, 12:11 PM

Here's more information regarding L'Olive (with pictures and menu):
http://www.bcnrestaurants.com/Eng/ba...urante=L-OLIVE

I'm sure you won't have any regrets dining at L'Olive. Enjoy : )

p.s. just a word of advise: I would avoid the 'Monkfish and potato suquet'. Someone in our party ordered this, and it was actually a stew, which turned out alittle fishy for our taste. Just alittle unlucky with that choice.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 01:01 PM

Just to add that anyone who has enjoyed the dining experience at L'Olivé might like to know that the owners have a casual tapas/raciones (small plates /larger plates) /bar restaurant nearby in the L'Eixample district called Alta Taberna "Paco Meralgo" , (read in Spanish: "p'ara comer algo&quot. There are tall communal tables plus bar stools at counters that surround the room plus counter seating right in front of the semi-open kitchen.

We find it fun, and it's particularly good for a group, as you can all share and sample more of the chef's market driven creative dishes. It's in a high rent district, attracting well-to-do-locals, and on the pricier side, but the ingredients are of the highest quality. At times we've just sat at the counter and put ourselves in the chef's hands, as we do at Cal Pep.
See
www.pacomeralgo.com
It's at Muntaer 171, corner of Córsega
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Maribel - we were also looking for a good place for Tapas !! Does this place have outside seating - we will be just arriving and would like some freash air after the long plane trip.
Old May 23rd, 2006, 04:34 PM

Hi JerseySue,
I can't remember! Usually where there's sidewalk space, in summer there's outdoor seating. There are several great casual restaurants in the L'Eixample with outside seating, but I can't put together in my head a complete list for you.

However....

But I'm almost certain there's outside seating at another of my favorites for casual dining, "El Trovador", on the corner of Enrique Granados and Paris, near the Diagonal.

Or a member of the same group-
"Tramoia" on Rambla de Catalunya 15 or yet another, "Brasseria Tenorio" on the Passeig de Gracia 37 or "Ba-Ba-Reeba" across the way on Passeig de Gracia 28.
Lots of Passeig de Gracia tapas bars have outdoor dining. There are plenty from which to choose.

Check the pictures at
www.grupcacheiro.com