Notices

Restaurant and Wine Tasting Help

Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant and Wine Tasting Help

We're going to Alba next week and would love some recommendations for great restaurants to eat in and vineyards to visit. I also have read on this site that you need to make reservations in some vineyards before you go. I know many of you will respond, just search the site...which I will...But, if anyone would feel so inclined to offer up some great suggestions, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:45 PM

There are so many wineries and restaurants to pick from in Piedmont and so much a question of personal choice and taste.The tourist information centre in Alba has detailed guide books listing all. Restaurants try Osterie del Arco in Alba or Boccondivino in Bra. Osterie del Vignaiolo outside of La Morra is fabulous and in Barbaresco either Rabaja or Antiche Torre.

Wineries, try Marchesi di Barolo in Barolo, Pio Cesare in Alba, or Ca Rome in Barbarseco. Also check out the regional enotecas, in Barolo Castle, Grinzano Cavour Castle and the Church in Barbaresco, also Mango Castle for Moscato wines and further afield to Nizza Monferrato for the classic Barbera d'Asti zone.
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:11 AM

I suggest you the restaurant LALIBERA.
Do not miss: fassone battuto al coltello, tajarin al coniglio.
As dessert: tortino al gianduia and (!) spuma al torrone d'Alba.
Exclusive of wine you willpay, more or less, 30 euro per person.

Have a lovely trip, ciao.

Vincenzo
Old May 26th, 2008, 01:11 AM

One of the great things to enjoy is to see an italian waiter opening a great red, decanting it to get the air in and then coating you r large wine glass with the wine so you can taste it (yes coating it), if not start to worry
Old May 26th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Do we need to reserve a visit to a winery in advance? My husband LOVES barolo and would love to tour and possibly ship some wine home.
Thanks so much,
J
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:56 AM

I would suggest you go the town of Barolo and visit the Barolo Regional Enoteca - which is in the Castle in Barolo and is the headquarters for the Consorzio. They offer tastings - also look at a couple of the Enotecas in town as they also offer tastings and will probably be able to help you more than going to an individual winery. The winery visits are much formal than the typical wine tastings people are used to in the USA.

Also make sure to look out for any festivals (which are numerous) in the area while you are there. Last year we just happenend to be in town when they were releasing the 2003 Barolo and there was a tasting event below the castle with dozens of new Barolo!
Old May 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks...I do think that we'd still love to try to schedule one visit to a winery though...is it anything like visits in France? We've been to a few different areas there. Anyhow, maybe we'll just figure it out when we get there. Thanks for all the suggestions.
J
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:17 AM

I would certainly go to a winery or even a few if time allows - just don't plan on being able to visit them as easily, or on a whim like you can in the USA. They often want you to have an appointment (which is easy to get) and it is usually a tour followed by a tasting - and it always seems like it is "customary" to buy something from them, or it at least feels like the right thing to do after they have spent so much time with you.

Find a place you really like or want to try and then get an apointment with them. We really loved Moccagatta and were very dissapointed we couldn't get into Luciano Sandrone...
Old May 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM

La Spinetta is another produce we would like to visit on our next trip...