Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Reserve day trips from US or when we get there?

Jan 31st, 2001, 07:46 AM
Linda R.

We are planning to do a daytrip to the Loire from Paris and daytrip to (possibly) Stonehenge/Bath from London. We will be in both cities for 4 days and I am wondering if we need to reserve ahead or can we expect room on tours if we wait until we get there?
We will be there the middle of May.
Thanks, Linda R.

Jan 31st, 2001, 12:39 PM
Renee

Hi Linda,

I've travelled a lot in Europe, and have never needed to reserve day trips in advance. I would say that within a day or two of when you arrive, reserve the one that you want. The middle of May is when a lot of people start going on vacation, but it's still not as bad as the middle of the summer.
Have fun!

Jan 31st, 2001, 01:33 PM
Vanessa

Linda,
No, you do not have to reserve daytrips. I went to Bath when I went to London last September. I went on my own to Bath by getting the train in Paddington Station. It leaves you in the center of town. It was very easy. And there are trains going to and from bath just about every hour, maybe even more often then that. When I got to Bath, I didn't know what was what, so I took the Guide Friday Tour (a red double-decker bus tour, hop-on/hop-off, just like in London). You can buy tickets for the Guide Friday tour on the bus or right at the train station when you get off in Bath. Besides that, I walked around the city, then took the train back in the evening. It was really worth it. I think getting to Bath on your own would be cheaper and faster (if the tour is by bus).

Feb 1st, 2001, 05:17 AM
Fred Melnick

Paris should be no problem. Just walk over to the office and sign up. . Brochures should be at your hotel or if not, just stop in any of the larger hotels and look on the counter.

Paris Visions
214, rue de Rivoli
75001 Paris
Tel: 01-42-60-30-01
Fax: 01-42-86-95-36
http://www.parisvision.com/fr/index....&ki=gb72771097

Cityrama
4, place des Pyramides
75001 Paris
Tel: 01-44-55-60-00
Fax: 01-42-60-33-71
http://www.cityrama.com/
For more go to www.anamericaninparis.com
[email protected]

Feb 1st, 2001, 06:16 AM
marika

I would definitely not try to reserve from home. However, if it's important and something I think I couldn't do by bus or train without taking a tour I would investigate to make sure that the day tour I need will be offered during the dates I plan to be somewhere.