Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

reservations needed for touring Ireland?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be staying for 3 nights in Dublin, then will explore in rental car for nine days. Can we go to daily destinations and find B&B's, guest houses to stay at with vacansies? Will we end up at the day's end with all no vacansies? Please advise and thank you. Robert
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 01:19 PM

Robert, Dublin always requires advance reservations. The rest depends on what time of year you are going to Ireland. Are you picky about where you stay? Will there be festivals going on? Will you be there over a bank holiday? Will you want to stay in very popular places over the weekend? You can always find "something". Whether you want to settle for "something" is another matter.
Old Jul 3rd, 2004, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

IrishEyes; we already booked a hotel in Dublin for the 3 days. We aren't choosy tourists, so any accomodation would suit us. For example, will by traveling from July 13th-21 through the counties, and I am just planning where to go. The first night (13th), I'd like to stay in Wicklow County. There are B&B's online I could book for a small charge. But, since I'm not sure of the distances or what scenes may awe us, we may regret not lingering on in a certain place, since we'd have to make the next reserved B&B down the road. So, if I knew finding a bed would be easy, I won't make reservations in advance, and just enjoy. I guess I don't know whether to plan in detail places to go and the number of nights for each, and make reservations, or just getting in the car and go with the hope that a bed is available in the evening. Robert
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 03:37 PM

Robert, we're in the same frame of mind as you, except we'll be there in September when it should be less busy. Please let me know how it goes if you decide to wing it.

We're not exceptionally picky, but we're trying to stay on a somewhat limited budget and would prefer en suite lodgings, so we may make some reservations (besides Dublin, which is already reserved) just for the peace of mind.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 06:10 PM

I only ever book my first night and last night near the airport. Otherwise, I wing it and have never had a problem. Be sure you have the Bed and Breakfast book from the tourist board and if you are a bit concerned, you can call at mid day and know you'll have a place down the road. This way you can just wait and see how far you are and them book.
Have fun.
Old Jul 4th, 2004, 07:23 PM

We traveled with our two sons in July 95. Our first night was booked in Dublin, the second in Avoca, and we winged it the rest of the time. We tried to have a gameplan as each day came, and we called ahead early in the day to make that evening's reservation. We never had a problem finding a place, even needing two rooms.

The internet has really changed things, though. Nowadays it is so easy to find suggestions from those who have been there, or to see many places on line. I would keep note of recommended B&Bs in the towns where you expect to be, rather than just choosing from the book.

On our second trip in 2000, we showed up in Cork 15 minutes after the tourist office closed, with no place to stay. By chance, we had parked in front of the Morrison Island Hotel. My husband said what the heck, we're here, and went in to see about a room. We ended up in a 5th floor suite with a balcony for the same price as a b&b. We liked it so much, we stayed a second night. You just never know!