Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Request for detailed information on this web site – hotels and restaurants to be exact.

Search

Request for detailed information on this web site – hotels and restaurants to be exact.

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2002, 10:07 AM
Carol Anne

Is it possible that those of you who provide information on hotels and restaurants to provide the prices as well along with some details? I am recently new to this site and am grateful for those of you who take the time to respond here. However, it’s difficult to understand what a “reasonably priced restaurant” is when reasonable means something different for everyone. I see that some people say, “for a three course meal and house wine for two people…$55.” But when someone says, “reasonable” or “$55” but doesn’t say what they got or for how many people, it can be frustrating. The same goes for hotels. A reasonably priced hotel of $150-$175 isn’t reasonable for me (or for some others here on Fodors as I see many of you do budget for hotels closer to the $100 price range). I hope that I’m not asking too much, but I’m sure others will appreciate this as well.

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:31 PM
Rex

Keep in mind that information posted here stays here forever. There are posts back to 1997 still on this system. It is far more useful to provide websites or internet addresses (a URL is a bit more useful than an e-mail address).<BR><BR>Prices change; many of us can cite to you what it was when we were there x years ago; even if it was only last November, the price wasn't in euros then.<BR><BR>You do have to do a little homework yourself.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:40 PM
Sheila

Actually it always frustrates the hell out of me, that you're so coy about this. When i'm asked to recommend I'd prefer to know what people's budgets were<BR><BR>I end up guessing and making assumptions and I've sure as hell got it wrong in both directions.<BR><BR>If I'm travelling myself, and looking for help, you guys need to know I'm not on a "Fodors" budget, or I'll waste my time contacting places way out of my league

Old May 1st, 2002, 12:50 PM
xxx3

I agree with Carol Anne's request. Terms like "reasonable" are meaningless in a group like this with such varied budgets. Details like actual costs, web addresses, are very helpful.<BR><BR>Rex, no need to be condescending -- we can all figure out how costs have changed in 5 years or whatever if we're digging around in old posts. And certainly we're all still fluent in non-euro currencies. Certainly, we know how to do a web search to find the site for a recommended place, but it would be a courtesy for posters to take the few extra moments to add these details that so many people would find useful.<BR><BR>As long as we're requesting things like this: I, for one, would like to even know the room number for hotels, since some places have rooms that vary quite a bit from tiny-and-awful to big-and-wonderful (and I suspect that this can account for some of the conflicts in reviews).

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:11 PM
Marc David Miller

I think that it is more a responsibility of the person requesting information. Many times I get questions, or see questions, asking 'what is a nice hotel to stay in in _______' and have no clue what the person's expectations are.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:36 PM
Rex

I don't really understanbd the context of this post and the thread as it is evolving. Has Carichards asked for information before and failed to get it with the specificty she seeks? I can't find a post from her here ever before (if the search function is to be trusted)<BR><BR>Does she think that I was condescending?<BR><BR>Is it a crime not to be able to remember how much a place cost x years ago? - - but to have the recollection that it was "reasonable" or "a good value for what we paid"?<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:37 PM
elaine

I agree that specific information is most useful. When I have it I try to provide it, but as Rex says, for me to say what I paid for a meal or a room two years ago may not be that helpful,whereas a referral to a hotel website can lead to the most current info.<BR>In the time since I stayed or ate somewhere, there may be new management, there may have been renovations,etc.<BR><BR>Based on newbies' often vague questions, understandable due to inexperience either in traveling or in going on message boards, I'm not sure I should assume as xxx3 says that "all" are fluent in old currencies, or that "all" can figure out the new prices in euros or can know how much more to add on to last year's prices.<BR>I'm with Sheila and Marc; as a responder<BR>I think I can be more helpful if the questions nail down what the desired prices are, or what the desired amenities are. I can understand that questioners would like the same specific info, whenever possible.

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:41 PM
anon

&lt;&lt;I'm not sure I should assume as xxx3 says that "all" are fluent in old currencies, or that "all" can figure out the new prices in euros&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>Quick --&gt; a hotel in Lisbon cost 17,100 escudos in 1999. how much does it cost in Canadian dollars today?<BR><BR>Give me the website address anyday.<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:54 PM
Tom

Simple solution - If people need more info, they should just simply ask. The posters who bother to write a trip report or give a recommendation in the first place are exactly the helpful types who will respond to a follow up question. <BR>Or, as others have suggested, do a search on the WWW or in a guidebook for a hotel or on this forum for a particular restaurant, then post a question to verify what you've discovered on your own and to hear people's opinions, experiences, etc.<BR><BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 01:55 PM
Joel

I travel to France every year or two and make it a practice to more or less as a Frenchpeson would eat; i.e., a decent lunch and dinner at a typical price for such a meal. I think the prices I will give you are what you would expect to pay if you are seeking out the average restaurant to be found on most every street.<BR>I find that I enjoy lunch best at a brasserie so that I can sit outdoors and have a filling and tasty meal with wine amidst the hustle & bustle of office workers, tourists, students, etc. I usually figure about $15-$20 for lunch which will always include oeufs mayonnaises or salade de tomates, and espresso. <BR>Dinner menus will almost always provide combinations at several fixed price levels making it easy to put together a good selection at a price you want to pay. Assuming wine, a meal for one can be about $25-$50 at any number of restaurants that your hotel could recommend if you give the desk an idea of what you'd like to spend.<BR>Then, if I'm in Paris for awhile, I'll pick a one star restaurant out of my indispensable Michelin Red Guide and try that on one of my nights there. Allowing that I will go with the waiter or sommelier's choice for a "not too expensive, not too cheap" bottle of wine, I expect to dine for $125.<BR>Overall, I am very satisfied with my meals and would certainly say that the quality of all of my meals is much better than the food at any chain restaurant I've ever eaten at in the U.S. <BR>Hope that helps. As others have said, yours is a hard question to respond to. <BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:15 PM
Carol Anne

I certainly understand that if someone writes about a restaurant from more than a year old, the prices won't be the same, but it would give me an idea of the type of restaurant and can determine if it's within my budget. If one states, "I paid $100 for two people for a complete meal" then I know it will be in that price category "today" which is out of my price range. I have done research here and find too many postings of "reasonable" prices but no details, which is why I posted my question. <BR><BR>"Is it a crime not to be able to remember how much a place cost x years ago?" No, it's not a crime! But a person can at least give their description of what "reasonable" or "a good value for what we paid" means to them. From that point I can determine if it's reasonable for me. <BR><BR>I agree with xxx3 in wanting to know the room number of a place mentioned. If it's a room that I might be interested in, then I could use that information when making hotel reservations. <BR><BR>I agree that a poster should be more specific with their questions and desires. No, I haven't posted any questions (again, new to this site), but am making observations.

Old May 1st, 2002, 02:39 PM
mark

The current rate for the hotel in Lisbon I paid 140 Canadians in 99, is 120.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:15 PM
Heather

Carol Anne, your requests are "reasonable". I post URLs when I have them and always give the price that I paid and what month/year we stayed at that place. However, even when I do list restaurants, I rarely, if ever, list my meal. People tend to get testy with too much trip detail. But, now that you've posted your comments, what I thought was a "good balance" of information may not be enough. Next time, I will try to be concise but include more helpful info. It's always good to be reminded of what people need to plan their trips.<BR><BR>And, I will second (3rd or 4th) what others have said about posts that give no specifics about neighborhood, price range, etc. More info in the original post usually elicits even more helpful responses.

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:17 PM
Heather

Oops ... I just reread my post. The "reasonable" was just in response to your original post and I was teasing. I hope that it didn't read as snotty sarcasm (sometimes things don't look how they're intended).

Old May 1st, 2002, 03:36 PM
Monica

I appreciate reading details of a hotel or restaurant - heavens! Look at my web site - details, detail, details! I wonder if I have too much information. (http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html)<BR><BR>Heather, I personally don't care if someone thinks I have too much information on my web site (or my responses to postings here). I feel the more information, the better it is for that researcher. I do try to provide update information. I have not responded to any postings on Spain (which I have information on my web site) because the last time I was there was in 1996 (and 1994) and I'm sure there are better hotels and restaurants available than where I stayed or dined.<BR><BR>Carol, your message here may get others to provide more details in the future. Good luck in your travels.

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:35 PM
Rex

Carol Anne didn't say outright that I was condescending - - so I will certainly not label her editorial as unreasonable.<BR><BR>At the risk of (slightly) changing the subject - - this is a reason why "our own" attempts to try to create "ad hoc" Rants'n'Raves entries - - "write-in's", here on the forum has generally not succeeded. It take discipline to write - - generically - - as much detail as ought to be provided.<BR><BR>I look forward to Carol Anne actually asking about some places where she cannot find sufficiently detailed info. I think that in response to a properly worded question, many people are very forthcoming with details - - or where to find those details.<BR>

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:39 PM
goodboy topper

topping

Old May 2nd, 2002, 04:31 AM
Carol Anne

No Heather, I did not take read your note as sarcasm. And as Monica says (thanks for the link), “the more information, the better it is for that researcher.” Isn’t this, after all, a travel forum? So Heather, so provide your trip details. <BR><BR>Rex, no I didn’t think you were being condescending. I’ve learned quickly on this forum that people will have their own opinions. I know when I start posting here with some questions, I will ask detailed questions. I’ve seen some of those postings, “Where should I go?” “What should I do?” I’ve also read great responses with lots of details. I only am hoping more of you out there get into the habit of being more detailed. Again, this is a travel forum!<BR><BR>Thanks everyone!<BR>