Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Repost your question about L'Antico Pozzo

Oct 21st, 1997, 06:59 AM
Mary

Your question about L'Antico Pozzo v. La Cisterna needs to be reposted because Fodor's gives you an error message when you try to access it; I stayed at L'Antico Pozzo about 3 weeks ago--it was great; we then toured Chianti and I'd be happy to share other info. if you have questions. Mary

Oct 21st, 1997, 05:16 PM
sharon fink

Mary-despite the PC problem, thanks for your reply. You can probably answer my questions. I have read/heard that Lantico Pozzo is a really nice place to stay in San Gig. You apparently liked the place-was it clean and werre there showers or bathtubs? The photes look really pretty. I emailed Patrizia and she has space for 2 nites of our choice but was unable to determine if she would have a double or a suite-naturally the suite is more expensive. Please share your thoughts/reactions to L'antico P. We are also planning to stay in the Chianti area-any suggestions of where to stay there? I would like a similiar quality/price accomodation as L'Antico P. in that area. We are going to Italy for our anniversay and would greatly appreciate any other tidbits you would care to share! We also plan to spend a few days in Flor. & Venice. Thanks so much for your reply and suggestions! Sharon

Oct 22nd, 1997, 06:09 AM
Mary

Hi Sharon--I'm so jealous! L'Antico Pozzo was lovely--super clean, great bathroom with shower in tub; I saw the suites and they were nice, too (and I think only a little more expensive). Be sure and have the gelato at Sergio's in the piazza--it was the best I ate in all of Italy. As for the rest of Chianti, we were on a Backroads walking tour (which was amazing) and stayed in two really nice places and I have no idea how much they cost but here they are: Vescine which was a medieval village and is now a hotel (the rooms are in the old houses); it is in Radda and the phone number is 39-577-741144; the other was Castello di Spaltenna in Gaiole--39-577-749483; both also had excellent restaurants.

We also really enjoyed the tour at Badia a Coltibuono--very historic; they also have a great restaurant there.

In Venice be sure and buy the 24-hour vaparetto pass and time it to cover a trip to Murano--the glass is mostly tacky but it is a beautiful ride and very pretty out there (the pass is good from the time of your first trip) and take the number 1 boat all the way down the Canale Grande (a good place to start is the train station); it takes about 45 minutes and it fabulous.

Let me know if you have other questions--my parents just came back last week and said the dollar is still going strong!

Mary

Oct 22nd, 1997, 07:59 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sharon, I was at Antico Pozzo just 2 weeks ago
and be sure to drive to the rear gate of the village
to access their location. As you arrive at the main
portal, take a left on the Certaldo road and go
another 300 yards or so. You will see their sign
and you can drive into the gate to unload, then
there are soming parking spots on the road.
Have dinner at La Cisterna. Have fun--we did.

Oct 22nd, 1997, 04:24 PM
sharon fink

Mary and BOb -Thanks for the great info. It helped me greatly in deciding on whether or not stay at L'Antico P., and finding it! I appreciate the help! Sharon