Report on our train trips in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to post about our recent experiences on Italian trains this summer. Overall, it was very smooth. Air conditioning in 1st class was spotty on the Eurostar Venice-Florence route, making for an uncomfortable ride on a 90+ degree day, and some of our 1st class cabins got uncomfortably full when standing passengers squeezed in to take advantage of the A/C. But generally, the EuroStar trains were well air-conditioned. A few specifics:

1)Buying tickets using automated ticket machines is easy and can save time in very long lines, esp. in Rome Termini and Milan. An english-language option is available, contrary to other reports I've seen on this board. You can use the machines to buy any tickets (including first-class reserved, etc.), and you can do it on the same day (or days prior) to your departure. I was amazed at the # of Italian and foreign travellers who stood in VERRRRY long lines when these machines were line-free and easy to use.

2) If you have a fairly fixed itinerary and you're going to be taking a bunch of train trips, I definitely recommend the strategy of buying all your tickets through a travel agent when you first arrive in Italy. It's just nice to have it taken care of. (We did this for a portion of our trip, thanks to advice on this board.)

3) First class is definitely worth it, esp. in summer...but be warned that it can still get crowded and hot!

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Are the IC trains also air conditioned or just the Eurostars. I've been to Italy several times and traveled by train, but never when it was blistering hot so I never noticed.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 08:31 AM
rex

I remember a rather hot ride from Nice to Milan, even in first class. I posted an amusing anecdote about it under a thread on "fans". Got a round of applause (and maybe some bemused eye-rolling from Europeans thinking "how American!&quot when I offered to pass around my battery-powered Portabreeze fan.

It wasn't unbearable. Just a whole lot more enjoyable with the fan (perhaps the laughter and the cheering had some beneficial effct as well).

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:07 AM

Californiagirl,

Sorry to hear about your lack of A/C experience on Eurostar. What a bummer! We traveled from Florence to Venice via Eurostar first class this past July and were extremely comfortable. Thankfully, we also didn't experience any additional passengers in our cabin. Maybe the Venice/Florence route is more popular than the reverse. Glad to hear that the rest of your Eurostar experiences were good, however.

Thanks for posting your experiences.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 09:30 AM

On the IC trains I travelled on, there was A/C only in first class. And, that was not exactly strong A/C. And, the doors to the compartment were not sealed closed from the hallway where people were standing with their luggage...So, you got SOME relief from the heat in first class IC. Just don't expect frigid.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 11:02 AM
Intrepid

I am very glad to hear that someone is willing to say that First Class was "worth it" and I hope Mr. Steves is listening closely!

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 02:24 PM
dln

Thanks for posting. Sometimes it seems like the most agonizing part of pulling a trip together is getting the trains down pat! I think Fodorites may well have convinced the tightwad in me to upgrade to first class...

Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:37 PM

Californiagirl, thanks for your informative post. Perhaps you can give me a little advice? We are planning to take the train from Rome to Venice, then on to Turin (with a stop in the Lakes Area). I had heard that on the Eurostar trains your luggage is stored separately at the back of the carriage, whilst on the Intercity trains you have your luggage in the compartment with you.

As I have heard so much about pickpockets and theft, I am inclined to want to have our luggage with us at all times, rather than separated for 5 hours or so. (And as it will be winter, the a/con won't be an issue)

Can you (or anyone else) confirm the arrangements about the luggage, and whether the a/con is the main reason for going first class, or are there other benefits?

Thanks
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 03:55 PM

Ozgal,

On our recent first class Eurostar trip from Florence to Venice, we had a 22" carry on each, plus a duffel bag each, and had no problem storing our luggage in the overhead bins above our seats. Larger bags, however, had to be stored in the luggage racks at the end of the car.
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 04:21 PM

Re: <i>I am very glad to hear that someone is willing to say that First Class was &quot;worth it&quot; and I hope Mr. Steves is listening closely!</i>

Intrepid, not only has Mr. Steves been &quot;listening closely&quot; his ears seem better than your eyes. (since I'm not sure where you've seen him write First Class is <i>not</i> worth it.)

From his website...

&quot;If you have the extra money, riding first class is less crowded and more comfortable. First-class railpasses can be a good value, too.&quot; and &quot;If you?re on a tight budget, second class makes lots of sense.&quot;
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 05:28 PM
MK

In the 2000-2003 editions of &quot;Rick Steves' Italy &quot;, is this sentence, &quot;While second class cars go as fast as their first class neighbors, Italy is one country where I would consider the splurge of first class.&quot;
Old Aug 18th, 2003, 07:52 PM

Grazie, MK...perfetto!

I hope Intrepid is listening closely!

Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Ozgal: We carried fairly bulky backpacks as our luggage and we had no trouble storing the packs above our seats. A standard rolling carry-on bag should also fit without a problem.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 07:55 AM

We are carrying one of the larger roll aboards that you check on the plane. Someone said they had to be placed at the back of the car. Is this a pain or no big deal on the train...should we change our suitcase plans??? It is 27 inches. We are planning on going first class on the train.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:04 AM

I didn't see anyone else having a problem placing larger suitcases in the racks at the end of the car in first class.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 08:08 AM
rex

It sounds like a big pain to me. Can you lift it quickly and easily over your head? While the compartment at the end of the train is an option - - it's like a slightly oversized phone booth with no door on the side against the aisle, there are negatives to this in my opinion.

1. It may be distant from your seat (i.e., 5, 10 or 15 seat rows) and possibly out of your line of sight.

2. Your bag goes on the bottom (if you board eariler than others) and 500 pounds of other people's stuff get piled on top of it.

3. Your bag goes nearer the top in an unstable pile, and you have to lift it and stack it precariously on top of other people's bags.

You may find that you are able to fit your 27 incher in the compartment directly above your seat (the space is larger than you find on any airplane. but this brings me back to my first question - - can you put it up there and get it back down again?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:12 PM

ttt...leaving Sat. Anyone else want to give luggage tips for the train in Italy.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 04:37 PM
Degas

Don't let them out of your sight.

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:34 PM

If you have a fairly fixed itinerary and you are going to be taking a bunch of train trips, I suggest you write down your plans and take them either to an agent or to the ticket desk or window of any big station in Italy. Either way, you cover everything in one visit. But do take something to read, as the booking clerk will take a little time.

At ends of cars, your bag may go the bottom, and two or three cases may go on top. There are a couple of shelves, to stop all the big bully bags piling up on the little valise on the bottom. But in fact most bags go on the shelf vertically, and the whole thing looks like an oversized book case. I have never seen an unstable pile.

I am now too old and weak (and perhaps lazy) to heft my suitcase up to a rack above my head, but in central Europe always find muscular young men glad to help me. I usually ask such men when they are with a young lady.

You may find that you are able to fit your 27 inches in the compartment directly above your seat (the space is larger than you find on any airplane. but this brings me back to my first question - - can you put it up there and get it back down again?

I am seldom in Italy, but elsewhere in Europe I happily let bags out of my sight, and go off to lunch, so long as fellow travellers kindly say they will keep an eye on my bag for me.

[email protected]