renting rooms by the month in austria

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello everyone, i wish to go to austria for perhaps 2 or 3 months at some point, maybe june, maybe september, or maybe later. anyways, rather than travelling the country, switching locations every few days (it's too small! i'd run out of places to go in no time), i would much prefer just to pick one spot and stay there for a couple months. so i'm wondering if anyone has any info on renting rooms by the month in austria, what i mean is private rooms in a persons house, or small apartments (a residency visa isn't required for that, is it?), furnished of course. what i need to know is: how common are places like this to rent, how do i find out about them, will it be easy to find one right away if i just go over there, and what should i expect to pay monthly. any info would be soooo appreciated, as i'm really clueless about all of this (and note that i don't want to stay in vienna, so craigslist which a number of people have suggested to me is basically no help, as that's all that it shows).

and another thing that i would like to get peoples opinions on, is if say i couldn't find a room like this advertised, would it be at all feasible that i might find something like this or find someone who would rent me a room in their house just by asking people, i mean random people that i meet places, that is? or would that be terribly obnoxious of me to go up to some random person and essentially be like "hey, can i stay at your house?" (bear in mind i'm not particulary scary or dirty looking, and i would of course be paying them).

thank you!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:06 AM

Hi robyn tania,

I rented a room in Mittenwald, Germany (just over the border from Austria) for a month from Dec - Jan. I've also looked into renting rooms in a few towns in Austria, and I think the options are very similar.

What you want to find are called Ferienwohngun, or holiday apartments. They are furnished and rent by the week though you can sometimes get a discount for renting for long-term like a month or two. You can find them by googling Ferienwohngun + town name, or by going to the town's website and then to the accommodations pages, and then look for the pages for apartments. They are very common, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding many.

The one thing you may want to worry about, though, is timing. Lots of people rent their vacation apartments months in advance, so if you wait for the last minute, you may find nothing -- or nothing good.

Another worry is the visa problem. You can only spend 90 days, I think, in a Schengen country at one time. So you have to leave after 90 days and stay out for 90 days, then you can return for another 90 days. But since you want to stay for three months, you'll be fine.

Anyway, you'll have a great time. Have fun!

s
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:01 AM

Go to VRBO.com and type in your destination. This is a great site for extended stays anywhere in the world!

Tracy & Curt
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

thank you both! that was a big help. if you don't mind my asking swandav2000, around how much did you pay you went rented by the month, just so i can get an idea of what i'm looking at.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, robyn-

good info so far, but bad spelling!

you need to google "ferienwohnungen" or "apartment rentals".

regards, ann
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

haha yes, when i did google it, it came back with "did you mean ferienwohnungen?" but thank you for letting me know!
Old Apr 26th, 2007, 11:39 PM

http://www.netland.at/wien/apartment-vienna.htm

here is a good site that does apartment rental and also B&B in Vienna
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

oh wow, that is wonderful! thank you!
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Here is a service that we use when we visit:
http://www.apartment.at/index_eng.php3
Apartments are a great bargain in Vienna, especially if you stay a little out from city center. We always stay at the Kaminek's apts. in Floridsdorf.
Old Apr 28th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

oh that's great as well! thank you so much. this is going to help!!