Renting for two weeks in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2009, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of visiting Ireland next spring. My husband is not very mobile so we'll do most things by car. Realizing we can't do all of Ireland, what about renting - probably from VRBO - and highlighting one part of the country with many day or a few overnight trips? And to be honest, we'd probably like time just to hang out in the area we rent. Any sugestions for what part of the country to stay?
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:11 AM

Hi--
In addition to VBRO, I'd check out
http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/search.asp a similar site based in Britain.

You have many options though I'm partial to the Dingle pennisula. Dingle offers history--standing stones, ruined castles, Ogham stones, ring forts (most of these requiring no walk or only a short walk from a parking lot), spectacular coastal scenery, interesting museums, excellent food options, easy driving from Shannon, and a taste of Celtic Ireland in the Gallic speaking area out on Slea head. All of this would be within a 30-60 minute drive from Dingle itself.
For longer day trips or an overnight, there is the Ring of Kerry a couple hours away which would offer drives through hills and lush forests.

We spent 8 days in Ventry (half way between Dingle and Slea Head) a couple years ago and felt we could have stayed on and on for the beauty, serenity, and ease of seeing so many interesting sites within short driving distance.
Old Apr 17th, 2009, 01:32 PM

I have to agree with tmagyari - Dingle is wonderful. We just got back from 8 days at Couminole Cottage on Slea Head Drive. This was our second trip and I can't wait to go back. The scenery and the coastline are both breathtaking and the town of Dingle is so welcoming. People couldn't be nicer - strangers say hi on the street, the pubs are so much fun and I love the music. You won't be sorry if that's where you choose to go.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM

You could try Cork City ( two bedroom apartment ) http://www.irishvacationretnal.com/i...les/falcon.htm if you would like to be on the outskirts of the city or http://www.sandycovebeach.com outside Rosscabery West Cork where you could use it as a base to tour Cork & kerry
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 01:43 PM

I can give you a WONDERFUL cottage rental recommendation. It is called Hazel Cottage, west of Limerick. We stayed there last summer for a week and it was beyond great. The O'Briens are really nice. The house is fantastic, I cannot say enough about it.

http://hazelcottageireland.com/

It's location is really good. 10 minutes to the Tarbert ferry to cross the Shannon, then easy drive up to Cliffs of Moher. Straight shots south to ROK and Dingle. 45 Minutes to Limerick, maybe an hour to Shannon.

The beds were great, and I have a bad back. It also has a steam cabinet, whirlpool tub and sauna. It is in the middle of wonderful nowhere and really puts you at ease.

If you stay there, we left a copy of Quiet Man, hope you watch it.

dave