renting cottage in Linlithgow, Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good friend rented a cottage in Linlithgow in '06, and really enjoyed her stay. My husband and I have never thought about doing that, but are now seriously considering it. Our friend said she walked into the village for groceries, to catch the train to visit nearby locales, for church, etc. I trust her judgement, but would still like to hear from anyone else who has done this or something similar. We would probably have to do it in mid Oct. of next year. We enjoy cool weather, so I don't think we would mind Oct. in Scotland. Any input would be appreciated.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there something special for you about Linlithgow? There are holiday cottages and flats in/near most every town and village in Scotland.

Linlithgow has the amazing Palace ruins and has easy train connections to Edinburgh. So if you don't plan on renting a car it would be a convenient place to stay. But otherwise, I might look elsewhere - depending on what else you wanted to see/do while in Scotland.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 02:52 PM

Is it the town of Linlithgow you're questioning or the idea of renting a cottage? I agree with janisj that there might be better locations for you even if you do not plan to rent a car, but Linlithgow is certainly convenient to both Edinburgh/Glasgow, and the Palace is lovely.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thinking of Linlithgow because that's where our friend stayed,so it's really all we know about. Her photos of the cottage are really pretty, nice gardens, on a lake, and can walk to the train for day trips to Edinburgh and Sterling. We'd rather not rent a car and try driving on the "wrong" side of the road in a foreign country. We've never rented a cottage, but it sounds like a nice way to spend a week in Scotland. We've been on two Trafalgar tours to Scotland, and enjoyed them very much. But the cottage idea sounds like a nice way to get to know the people and the town.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 08:16 PM

If you're happy with the cottage and with Linlithgow as a location, then go for it. Renting a cottage is a very nice way to spend one's holiday and with just a week you'll find plenty to do between Sterling and Edinburgh as well as enjoying Linlithgow. Much nicer than a Tralfalgar tour IMO.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 08:21 PM

BTW, have you checked recently on the cottage to make sure it's still an option? A lot can change in 5/6 years.
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

historytraveler-I did check on it last week, and it's still renting out, and at a very reasonable price. Thank you and janisj for your input. I think I'm going to book it.
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 01:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a note: sterling is the money; Stirling is the city w/ the castle
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 02:31 PM

Thanks janisj for <I>Stirling </I> I actually know that it's spelled with an "i" and not an "e" but sometimes I can get a bit befuddled and copy what I see rather than what I know

Anyhow, 1965 there is a good pub in Linlithgow called The Four Marys. It's near the palace if I remember correctly and I don't think I'm befuddled in remembering the quality of a pub.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Excellent info. from janisj and historytraveler-Sterling, Stirling, and the Four Marys. We'll need some sterling in order to tour Stirling, and to partake of pub food at the Four Marys. Can't wait.