Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renting Car MAD return to MAD or in city?

Sep 10th, 2019, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi! we are flying in to Madrid (MAD) and picking up our Hertz rental, driving to Oviedo. We will be returning after a week of driving to San Sebastian and Logrono to Madrid, staying in Madrid (Salamanca area) for a few days.

Question: is it better to return the car at the airport and then try to get a taxi back in to town to the hotel or best to return at a location close to our hotel? Drop fee?

Thanks for any advice!
Sep 10th, 2019, 03:14 PM

Returning the rental car

Even if you are familiar with Madrid, I don't recommend dropping the car off in the city. It's far easier just to drop it off back at the airport and take a taxi to your hotel.
Sep 10th, 2019, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Robert2016 View Post
Even if you are familiar with Madrid, I don't recommend dropping the car off in the city. It's far easier just to drop it off back at the airport and take a taxi to your hotel.
Thanks, so if we drop off at Hertz at Barajas airport, are there taxis readily available there or do we have to take our luggage to the terminal to then get a taxi?

Just not familiar with returning or renting at this airport, and normally, we are taking a flight after returning the car, but this time we are going back into the city
Sep 10th, 2019, 06:38 PM

Yes, it easier to drop off at Barajas and pay for the taxi or train into the city.

You can also check to see how much it will cost to drop off the car in Salamanca and take the train into Madrid.
Sep 10th, 2019, 07:01 PM

Is your flight coming into Madrid long or short? You will already be at the airport, so consider a flight to Orvieto. A train might be more relaxing than a four & a half hour drive after a flight.
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Is your flight coming into Madrid long or short? You will already be at the airport, so consider a flight to Orvieto. A train might be more relaxing than a four & a half hour drive after a flight.
long haul MIA to MAD, so yes, we'll be tired, but wanted to drive straight away to Oviedo and stay two days then drive on to San Sebastian, then on to Logrono, then back to Madrid, stay three days.

I mis-typed previously, our hotel is in the Serrano area, not Salamanca.

I'm just worried about dropping off the car at the airport (original plan) but then getting a taxi at the Hertz drop off. Trying to confirm if we then have to get the shuttle back to terminal (which it states on website that shuttle will only take you if you have a departing flight #), etc. etc. Not sure which is more or less of a hassle.

Or possibly over thinking this too much! No train for us in to city with two suitcases, taxi is preferable (or Uber).
Sep 10th, 2019, 08:34 PM
kja

Please don’t drive for a day or two! Although many people are not aware of it, there is mounting evidence that driving after crossing multiple time zones is just as dangerous -- to yourself and others -- as driving drunk, and nothing you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit. Seriously -- NOT a good idea, no matter your other constraints and no matter your prior experience and no matter whether you can sleep on the plane! And please be patient with me if you think I’m being overly adamant, but I know too many people who have died or been seriously injured in accidents to which jet lag was a contributing factor, and I know too many people who will spend the rest of their lives dealing with the knowledge that they were responsible for accidents that resulted in multiple deaths, including those of children, all because they were too confident in their ability to drive safely after a long flight or too eager to get on with their plans. The issue has become a bit of a cause célèbre for me….
Sep 10th, 2019, 09:18 PM

>>long haul MIA to MAD, so yes, we'll be tired, but wanted to drive straight away to Oviedo<<

Uh -- no! That is almost 500 km/300 miles.. Horrible idea.
Sep 11th, 2019, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! still deciding what to do.
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:29 PM

We just stayed at the Parador de Alcala de Henares after the drive south from San Sebastian. The parador is located about 20 minutes or so from the airport. It will be our go-to first and last night stay the next time we fly into or out of Madrid. (Great price, really nice rooms, nice pool, fantastic restaurant. We were really pleased!)
Sep 12th, 2019, 09:04 AM

Echoing the sentiments of not driving after a flight from the US, you'll be jetlagged.

I have checked into my Madrid hotel to drop my luggage then returned my car to Atocha a few times. No problem.