Reload this Page >

Renting a van (?) in Germany?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 09:46 AM
Lee

My turn for a question, I guess. <BR> <BR>Next May, my wife and I are doing a return trip to Germany. We offered to take along her parents (never been there, great people) making it a foursome. We will start out in Frankfurt and head to Rothenburg, Bertchesgaden, Salzburg, Munich, Garmisch, Oberammergau, Fussen and finally to the Rhine river valley. We would rent a car in Frankfurt and then return it there just as we did last year. <BR> <BR>Here's where it becomes a little more complicated: Another couple (close friends of my in-laws) would like to come along, also. I think that the only way this would work is if we all travel together (I'm the only one with experience driving in Germany), in the same vehicle. So, how about a van? Does anyone have any info or experience with doing this sort of thing over there? <BR> <BR>I guess that if need be, we could make use of the wonderful train system, but I would prefer an automobile for various reasons. <BR> <BR>Your help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old Aug 3rd, 1998, 09:56 AM
José Galindo

I made almost same trip 3 years ago in a van, I rented it in Munich and delivered it in Hamburg, it was great fun, we were 6 people, I made the reservation trough Avis, they rent inGermanyu big VW vans it accommodates up to nine people. <BR> <BR>Regards <BR>

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 01:54 AM
Bert

They ain't cheap!! I've done some checking on prices <BR>and vans run about $500-$600 per week in Germany. You could rent 3 cars for that price.

Old Aug 4th, 1998, 04:32 AM
Lee

Bert: Boy, are you right! Alamo wants $953.00 (US) for 8 days on a Chrysler Voyager. This does include VAT and the 10% "service" charge, but is much higher than I anticipated. Last year, we rented an Opel Astra for $226.00 for 8 days which is a far cry from this. <BR> <BR>I'm investigating alternatives...

Old Aug 5th, 1998, 10:08 AM
Steve

I rented a VW Sharan van from Europcar last month. It is a minivan suitable for 5. They also have 9 seater VW Caravelles available which would be ideal for your party. They are expensive and usually come with standard transmissions but if you are splitting the costs you will probably be ahead. I hope this helps. <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 1998, 09:42 AM
Bob

We rented a VW Sharon from Hertz in Frankfurt last summer. They are expensive, but the van was great for four people. We even talked Hertz into keeping the last two seats in the back to allow more room for luggage. They grumbled, but they did it. I think the trip would be more fun for you with all people in one vehicle. Cutting costs is not the main thing when it comes to having a great trip. Email me if you want info on where to stay in the area you are going. Also, be sure to reconfirm your van before departing. There are few over there and we did not get one on one trip because it was in a collision and was the only one the company had to rent. <BR>