Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Renting a Castle from the Irish National Trust?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2000, 05:57 AM
ann

Hi, I'm hoping someone will have some experience with renting from the National Trust. Understand it's a UK organization, and I have checked their website, but am particularly interested in the Irish Trust castles. I've heard you have to attempt to make reservations far in advance (How far? Will they take them more than a year ahead?) and that even then, the properties are so popular that they use a "lottery" system. That won't work for me, since I'll be bringing together about 12-14 people from around the States for the trip... got to have something nailed down before I put out the word. Any info will be appreciated! Thanks, Ann

Old May 25th, 2000, 10:17 AM
Cathy

Ann, <BR>Just one point the National Trust is exclusively British (ie England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). Here in Ireland we operate a different system altogether - contact the Irish Tourist Board via their web site www.ireland.travel.ie and do a search there on castles. Most castles who are open to the public operate as hotels, guest houses etc whole castles for rent are rare and especially for only a group of 12-14. Castles are bigger that that and so is the cost. If you want a castle be prepared to castle prices alternatively there are other nice properties also check out www.hidden-ireland.com for interesting country style houses. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, post if you have any more questions, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old May 26th, 2000, 07:58 AM
ann

Cathy, thank you for clearing up what I suspected, that I had been led astray by looking for the Irish National Trust. Perhaps you can give me alternative recommendations. We are a large family, travelling from throughout the States (including Alaska) and definitely want to all stay together in a self-catering type arrangement. One of the things we most enjoy is all sharing the cooking and being able to share meals together. I saw an article on a quite reasonable weekly rental (roughly $800) through the Landmark Trust for one of their properties which just happened to be a castle and is in Kilkenny, which would be an appealing area (lots of artists in our family). The castle is not a priority for us, although some of the family has never been to Europe and staying in one would undoubtedly be a kick. However, as I mentioned before, I have heard rumors that it is very tough to get a reservation through the Trust. I know Ireland has cottages for rent throughout the country, but am concerned about finding a place large enough for us all. What would you do? Any recommendations would be appreciated. We've only been to Ireland once (and did the horse-drawn caravan in addition to staying in B&B's), so we have limited knowledge about where to stay. Thank you so much for taking the time to help...

Old May 26th, 2000, 10:03 AM
elvira

Try: <BR>http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/ <BR>http://www.travel-ireland.com/frame.htm <BR>http://www.gtunlimited.com/Irelandvacationrentals.html <BR> <BR>

Old May 26th, 2000, 10:57 AM
Cathy

Ann, <BR>I have never heard of the Landmark Trust - but then there is always a first. I would suspect that they are a commerical company with some properties in Ireland. I haven't heard of any lottery system operating in Ireland - only money talks and first come first served. <BR> <BR>As I said in my first post and Elvira repeated check out the web sites we listed. In addition also check out www.travel-ireland.com <BR>www.hidden-ireland.com <BR> <BR>Are you interested in staying in the one place and doing day trips or would you like to travel around - maybe two properties ? . An alternative to staying in castles etc is to check out the universities - in the summer time their self-catering apartments for students are available for rent - Maynooth college on the outskirts of Dublin has beautiful apartments and grounds complete ith sporting facilities and a swimming pool and easy access to Dublin and the Eastern Region, in Galway check out Corrib Village, there are also universities in Limerick, Cork, Belfast. Try the Maynooth web site (www.maynooth.ie) and look out for their conference centre section and they will be give you links to other universites self-catering villages. But first contact the Irish Tourist Board and get them to send you their brochures on rentals etc. <BR> <BR>Have a good trip, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old May 26th, 2000, 11:33 AM
KT

The Landmark Trust is a private charity that restores buildings of architectural or historical interest, rents them out for holidays, and uses the proceeds for upkeep and for renovating additional properties. They've been around for about 30 years, at least in the UK. Their website is at http://www.landmarktrust.co.uk/.

Old May 26th, 2000, 12:27 PM
ann

Thank you, thank you. You have all given me great info, ideas and sites: now all I have to do is get busy! And I will let you know how the Landmark Trust works if we go that route. Of course, it'll be more than a year before the trip will take place - but I believe in planning ahead (and with this many people involved, it's kinda necessary!). Thanks again...