Reload this Page >

Renting a car in Geneva and driving directly to France from the airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 09:20 AM
harley

How is driving out of the airport in Geneva? Is traffic manageable? Is it crossing the boarder time consuming? We will be staying somewhere in French Alps near Evian perhaps and the best air fares and connections are through Geneva. Anyone has personal experiences with Geneva's airport and also driving to France from there? Thanks

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 10:05 AM
Rex

I have twice had the experience of RETURNING a car to Geneva airport - - once a French car (from Antibes), and once a German car.<BR><BR>I was quite irritated the first time because I had to pay the ANNUAL vignette fee for less than 10 minutes time on a Swiss motorway - - even though it IS possible to return a French car as if you are returning to France.<BR><BR>Neither time was a problem in any other regard (the second time we were in Switzerland for several days, so of course, the vignette was entirely understandable for that).<BR><BR>I would think that crossing the border OUT of Switzerland will cost you almost no time. And if you are returning the car there (i.e., a "Swiss car") - - then it will likely already have a vignette.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 11:50 AM
Don

I know this will sound spammy, but it's not--just a tip if you have not already made care hire arrangements. Low fare airline easyJet has *very* cheap Mercedes A-class and SMART car rentals from Geneva. You can check fees and availability via their website at www.easyjet.com Best of luck with your trip.

Old Jan 1st, 2002, 01:54 PM
Wayne

Harley---<BR>Renting a car in Geneva at the airport is very easy, and getting out of there to the higway routes is no problem. The only thing you might encounter in renting is a delay because of a usually understaffed rental office (this applies to all car rental companies). Once out of the airport, you should have no problem heading for the French Alps. I have landed in Geneva several times and have never had a car rental problem other than standing in line for a while, waiting my turn to see the rental clerk. All car rental agents in Geneva speak English. As for getting across the border, there is normally no delay at all; in fact the border station is usually not staffed. I assume you will be returning the car to Geneva, so during your drive out of the airport, notice how you will be driving and where the car rental returns are located. Most signs around the airport are in French and English, plus sometimes other languages. Now if I may take a moment to tell you of my favorite spots in the French Alps, I have two: Chamonix and Megeve, both lovely villages in an incredible mountain setting. I have also used Annecy as a first stop along the way to the mountains; it's a unique and lovely town nicknamed "Venice of France" because of its canals from Lake Annecy through the city. Final note: when you rent the car, do so ahead of time in the U.S.; you will usually get the best rate. And be sure to inform the rental company which countries you will be visiting other than Switzerland. I usually rent with Avis or Hertz, but there are a few other good agencies. Avoid the cut-rate agency Sixt, which is also cut-rate in service and quality, in my opinion. Good luck.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Rex

topping, for victoria<BR>