Rental Cellphone in Italy

May 31st, 2007, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Rental Cellphone in Italy

Has anyone used cellphone rental service while on vacation in Italy. Frommer's guide suggested RentaCell and their prices seem reasonable but I'm just curious to see if anyone has had any experiences using this service. We're leaving our preschool children home for this trip and would like to be within reach at all times. We already asked our current provider Verizon and they don't have anything to offer. Thanks in advance for your input.
May 31st, 2007, 12:50 PM
rex

If you're staying mostly or exclusively in Italy (or if most of your cell phone need is only in Italy), then you should consider just buying a pre-paid phone; no contract required, and free incoming calls, which is what you need (if you want to call home, then call them and ask them to call you back). Typically, the first 25 euros of calls comes with the phone.

Then, when you get home, try to "sell it forward" here.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:28 AM
rex

Jorgy...

This is in reply to your e-mail to me. I typically do not answer (privately) follow-up questions sent to me, in private, when they involve info that properly can and should be part of the public sharing here.

As to where to buy your phone in Italy (specifically in Venice you asked), I hope that someone with more recent experience can answer your question. It seems like it depends on how quickly you need accessibility. I have never bought a phone at an airport, but common sense tells me that it will be overpriced there. And I haven't bought a phone in Europe since 2001, so I am not even that up to date on the typical cost of a "throwaway" (no-contract) phone. I don't mean to suggest that you should throw it away, once you return home, of course.

I am actually hoping I can find someone with a phone to "sell forward" for our France trip, in the next month or two.
Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
ira

Hi J,

If you want the phone only for possible emergencies, I suggest the $49 phone from www.mobal.com.

Their per min rates are high, but you get the phone, the charger, plug adapters, and you keep your number forever.

They charge your CC if you do make/receive a call.

Jun 22nd, 2007, 02:22 PM

If you have a GSM phone that can be unlocked, youo can also just buy an Italian SIM card and use your own phone I bought a phone and card from cellularabroad.com - however, they are very overpriced, IMHO (but I really needed the phone - didn't have a GSM phone at the time)...you can also easily buy the SIM card in Italy...don't recall how much they are...but I remember them being VERY inexpensive. (or pay more and buy it over the internet before you go)
Jun 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM

I agree with the Mobal phone purchase. I just used mine in Italy, and yes, it was $1.50 per minute to call the US from Italy, but I traveled alone and it was a relief knowing that I could call home whenever I needed or wanted to do so. The other nice thing about mobal phones is that there are NO roaming charges or per month charges, you are only charged for the calls that you make.

ciaolaura
Jun 22nd, 2007, 08:21 PM

This article from Frommer's really helped me:
http://www.frommers.com/articles/4045.html

We bought a phone from Telestial for $59 with 99cents for calls. http://www.telestial.com/promotions/may/packlite.php