OK - new Ireland Itinerary, & a few questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to many of you on this board, my husband and I have re-worked on Ireland itinerary for our trip in November. We decided we didn't want to drive most of the days every day, so this is more of a relaxed itinerary than before. We hope to make another trip to Ireland next year, so we'll be able to see other sights then. We also were told that it would probably be better to stay in a bigger town because of the time of year we're traveling. Here's our itinerary:
November 8-11 Dublin - husband's business trip; can't change these dates.
Nov. 12 - Pick up rental car; drive to Cashel. Stay in Cashel. If we have time, also visit Cahir Castle.
Nov. 13 - Cahir Castle (if we didn't see it the day before); then drive to Ennis, stopping at Bunratty along way. Overnight at Temple Gate Hotel in Ennis (music festival is going on through 15th).
Nov. 14 - Explore Cliffs of Moher, The Burrens, Lisdoonvarna/Lahinch/Doolin; stay in Ennis.
Nov. 15 - Explore Spanish Point, Loop Head, Kilkee, Kilrush, Ennis. Stay in Ennis.
Nov. 16 - Shannon airport; fly home.

1) Where should we pick up the rental car in Dublin? We won't need the car until the day we leave. I'm not sure yet where we're staying in Dublin. Also, is there a particular rental agency you recommend?
2) Where is a good place to stay and eat in Cashel?
3) Where are some good places to eat in Ennis (near Temple Gate)?
4) We're also considering going to the Bunratty Medieval Banquet. Is this worth doing?

Thanks very much.
Sherry
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:20 AM

Hi Sherry. I posted a question about the Bunratty banquet a couple of days ago and got a lot of encouraging responses. If you do a search on the word Bunratty or LisainSA you should get it.
Good luck.
Lisa
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Sherry, you should be able to do Cashel and Cahir Castle the same day.

I see you are spending 3 days in Ennis and County Clare. You might want to look into a day in Galway.

Check the rates at autoeurope.com for car rental -- they gave us the best price. Make sure you ask them about pick-up location surcharge -- I believe there is one at airport, and one at inner city. You don't want any surprises.

Do the Banquet -- it was fun. Since you are staying in Ennis, I would take in the early show - I believe they have one at 6ish and one at 9ish.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Hi, Lisa. Thanks for your response. I had forgotten about that post. I've been reading the Ireland posts every day for a couple of months, and I had forgotten about that one.
Sherry
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Hi again Sherry. Just wanted to add that I thought your travel plan sounded very sensible. We're going in May next year and are having trouble cutting back on our must see list. Don't you find it's hard to just let things go - you want to see and experience so much? I finally decided we'd just have to go back and go back again etc. Still having trouble dropping things from the list though. But well done to you guys. You're an inspiration and there's hope for us yet.
Lisa
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Budman, Thanks. You've given us lots of information, and we appreciate it. We'll look into the car rental site. If we spent a day in Galway, what would you recommend we do there? Thanks.

Lisa: Thanks for your kind words. It was VERY hard for us to cut back on our list -- I really want to see the Dingle Peninsula, but with our first plan, we would be in the car about 3 or 4 hours per day just getting to the next destination, not counting the time we wanted to explore, eat, etc. It's hard for my husband to see all the sights when he's concentrating on driving, and I wanted both of us to enjoy this trip. I don't want to extend our stay because I miss our teenagers too much to stay gone a long time! We like to explore, walk, and stop along the way, so we finally decided to plan on going to less places, but we hope this gives us more time to stop when we want to stop. It also gets dark very early in November, and I think being in Ennis will be better for us, especially because of the music festival going on then. Let's keep in touch re our plans, and I'll be sure to let you know how our trip goes in November.
Sherry
[email protected]
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:53 AM

Galway is a nice city with lots of pubs and shopping. Also, you could eat oysters.

I understand your concern about all the driving, that's why I recommend Galway -- it's just up the road.

http://www.moransoystercottage.com/index.html
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 08:04 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
We LOVED our B&B in Cashel. Rockside. Right under the Rock of Cashel. Cute rooms, great breakfast (a menu that included not only the traditional Irish breakfast, but also a couple of other choices - my travel partner has pancakes!), a warm hostess, and very comfortable beds. Plus the location was unbeatable.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Budman, Thanks so much. I really appreciate your answers to all my questions; we might drive up to Galway for the day.

althom1122: I'll check out the Rockside B&B. Thanks very much.
Sherry
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 08:36 AM

I like your plan for a November trip.

We've also stayed at Rockside B&B in Cashel. Nice house and a location that can't be beat.

In Ennis, Cruise's Pub is a dependable place for music, and we were surprised last summer to find that the food is also very good.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Not sure about other people but I was disappointed with Galway. It is nice for a city but when I think Ireland I think rural. I found it to be a little to fast paced for Ireland.Maybe its just me though.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:49 AM

That's the first time I've heard someone say they didn't like Galway. You know, we do have cities here, and people without red hair and men who don't wear flat caps, drink Guinness and tell amusing anecdotes.
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:21 PM

annie my dear that cold - you'll have me losing faith in me irish roots - cold me dear - true but cold
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 01:28 PM

Hi again Sherry. Can't wait to read your trip report when you get back. By then I'lll be besides myself with excitement. Already I'm a woman obsessed - my Fodors Ireland has become my constant companion.
My husband and I are definitely doing the banquet at Bunratty and it's great that you can ask your guesthouse to book it for you when you make your accommodation booking. It sounds like they are really popular so booking in advance is probably a good idea.
Lisa
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 04:51 PM

I really like your adjusted itinerary. IMO you'll have a more enjoyable time. What's that saying about "less is more?" We loved Cashel! Stayed at the Abbey B&B, also at the foot of the Rock. Nellie Ryan, the owner is super nice. Rooms weren't fancy but were neat and clean and the price was right. If you have time, stop in the Museum that's located next to Abbey B&B. Very interesting. Also, most nights there is a performance at the Rock called Bru Boru. It's a musical history of Irish music and dance. Very, very worthwhile.
We really enjoyed Galway! The hustle and bustle on the streets is bigger than Ennis but smaller than Dublin...it's a nice kind of activity. At the Tourist Information center you can pick up a Walking Tour of the city. An older lady named Kay was our guide. She was terrific. Cheers!
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 05:07 PM

www.irishcarrentals.com broker for Sixt. They accept MasterCard CDW waiver, offered the best price when I went in June. Since you are going in Nov (the off season), it might be good to book a cancellable rental, then 'shop' the counters before you finally commit. We had booked an 8 passenger van, in Feb. 2002, from Budget at the best internet price (about $600 for 8 days), but when we picked it up,the only vehicle that size that they had on hand looked like it had been used for a rock band's road tour - dents everywhere, broken seatbelts, etc., etc.
While I was waiting in line to complain and turn it back in, one of my group went down the line of counters, asking what the charged for an 8 passenger. Avis (who listed theirs on the internet at just under $1000) gave us a BRAND NEW Mercedes Vito Turbo Diesel for right at $400 for the 8 days! Wouldn't dare try that during the High Season, but ...
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 08:28 PM

Sorry if I offended Ann. I realize you have cities there and Dublin and Belfast are very good cities(dont get on me about the inclusion of Belfast as an "Irish" city please.=) Just expected more from Galway thats all. Maybe I read too much before we went.
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everybody, for your help. We are getting very excited now (less than 4 months to go!). Any other information is greatly apreciated.
Sherry
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:22 PM

Hi Sherry:

You will probably enjoy the banquet at Bunratty. With any luck, it won't completely full. They have a tendency to pack the folks in pretty tight. The food is pretty average and the wine appears to come from a big box, but the show is fun and they do a nice job. The building has been nicely restored.

As far is going to Galway, it's a good choice in November. There are two pubs on the pedestrian mall that do music early in the night (5:30 or 6:00). I don't think that I would relocate for Galway, but rather do it as a day trip from Ennis. With the trad festival going on, you probably won't have any need to catch music in Galway though. You should hear some very good stuff there.

Have a great time!

Bill
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Have to agree with Bill. We loved Galway, been there twice, once in April '99 and again in Feb 2002, but we stayed at the Jurys along side the Wolfe Tone Bridge and spent our nights in the Quays Pub (5 Bars !!). Given the music festival in Ennis, though, I wouldn't relocate to Galway for the music, but you might want to drive up to spend a few hours touring about and shopping.