Rental car parking in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never rented a car on trip to Paris, but thinking of flying into Brussels before Christmas with 4 adults, but then will spend 3 nights in Paris for New Year's, and leave Paris again for 4 or 5 days in rental car before flying out of Brussels. Would like to have rental car before and after Paris, but not necessary while in Paris. Get better deal on car if keep same rental car entire time, but worried about parking in Paris.
Do budget hotels in 5e, 6e or 7e have access to parking, and if so, what should I expect to pay per night for safe parking of a rental car? Your observations will be appreciated.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM
MGB

Hi breeves

We just got back and had our lease car in Paris. We were in the 7th near Avenue Bosquet and Motte Piquet. The hotel suggested we park at a lot on Motte Piquet near Ecole Militaire. It was about an 8-10 minute walk from our hotel Champs de Mars. This was the 2nd time we did this at the same lot (also in 1999). The rate was 19 Euros a day. We had no problem, it is a highly visible lot. There is also an underground garage parking below it but we do not know the rate. We figured for the 4 of us it was cheaper to keep the car and park it for the 3 nights that to get a cab or shuttle to CDG where we turned it in.

By the way, last trip we did have one problem of our own doing. We inadvertantly did not close the hatch of the Ford Mondeo wagon when we emptied out the luggage on our way into the hotel and the light was on for 3 days. The morning of our departure when we went to get it, we had a dead battery. After walking back to the hotel and calling the rental company (which was absolutely no help), the concierge suggested we see if the attendant in the garage had jumpers or could push it. I never knew that with a manual, you can push it with a dead battery and pop the clutch to get it going. The young man on duty at the garage with little English perceived the problem and agreed to help push. He and my husband were pushing but I could not pop the clutch correctly. Then I did not have enough omph to push when he was in the car, so we flagged down a jogger, pushed it, started it, got our luggage at the hotel (desk clerk helped us load the car quickly, afraid to shut if off) and made it to the airport on time for our flight!!!

Obviously we can recommend this lot!

Have a great trip. Mary Ann
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 04:28 PM

We always turn our car in when we arrive in Paris or pick it up on the way out. I think you will regret trying to keep it--parking is a nightmare and traffic can be very trying as well. Even if it costs a few dollars up front, I think you will save in the end as you will have a tough time finding a reasonable parking fee, even if you can find a place to park.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 05:27 PM

Turning the car in to a rental agency could be just as complicated as bringing it to a garage. I would ask for parking advice from your hotel.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 07:02 PM

there are many small garages around in many of the neighborhoods....i have used some for around 20E per 24 hours...there is a large self service garage underground in front of notre dame and another near-by under the large government complex where saint chapelle is located....i have used it successfully a couple of times....
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. Think I will keep the car.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 08:15 AM

Have you aske the rental agency if they can hold the car for you? Seems to me - as long as you are paying the full rental rate they could probably stow the car for you for the few days you are in Paris. It would save a LOT of money.