Rental car in Tuscany?

Search

Rental car in Tuscany?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental car in Tuscany?

We're going to be in Tuscany for Christmas, and we'd like to take a day trip or two from Florence. Does anyone have suggestions on where to get the best price on a car rental for a day? And where's the most convenient place to pick up a car (without having to drive in Florence too much)? Any warnings/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you for any information you can give!
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 11:16 AM

All the advice seems to be not to drive in Florence but to collect and return the car to the airport.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 11:19 AM

I agree don't drive around in Florence, but there are car rentals at or near the train station with easy driving out of the city and back in again. Check Hertz and Avis for one day rentals. They don't have two or three day minimums. Picking up at the airport will probably mean an extra airport charge.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Hello Janice,

I would seriously shop around to find the best rate possible. Hertz and Avis might be good for one day rentals as suggested - BUT, whatever you do, I would ONLY rent and use the car as you mentioned, for day trips OUT of Florence. Parking can be quite expensive, and driving is a little challenging in the city center area of Florence (pretty much like any busy American "big-city&quot. Manual transmission is pretty much the best for pricing - automatics are much higher. And I would request diesel - we found it to be much cheaper than gasoline in Italy.

To give you an idea on pricing, we will also be in Tuscany for Christmas. We are picking up a car at the airport on Christmas day and keeping it for 4 days, returning it to the downtown office near our hotel. From Auto Europe (www.autoeurope.com) we are paying $412.00 (US) for an "intermediate" grade four day rental, all insurance inclusive, zero deductable. Though in the USA I usually waive the extra insurances, I "get it all" in Italy as you never know what could happen to mess up your trip. Last year someone creased our backend when we weren't around - no problems when we turned it in!

At Auto Europe we worked with Harley last year for a rental with which we were quite pleased. This year we have worked with both Harley and Graham have been pleased with what they have been able to do for us. BTW I guess Auto Europe is what you would call a "consolidator" like Orbitz or Travelocity. They setup the rental from other companies. This year's rental is with Avis.

Best advice is to determine where and when you are going for your "day trips" and once you determine your plan, then set up the car. A two or three day rental with a stayover in the countryside might be a good bet! I have found rooms MUCH CHEAPER in the country than in Florence. You may want to look into the possibility of renting from a "day trip" location if you have a stayover, could save some money renting at a city rather than airport location.

If you would like some suggestions for hotels or places to visit as you plan your trip let anyone of us out here know - we would be glad to help!
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 12:37 PM
RJD

You've got the best advice above. Forget the airport. Rent a car on the Borgo Ognasanti, near the train station. I've always made my arrangements with AutoEurope. It's not to difficult to get out of town. Get a good map of Florence, one marked with the one way streets and a map of Tuscany. I use a Michelin purchased in the States. Drive south to San Giminiano, enjoy the day.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 05:37 PM

buon giorno,

check at thrifty.com, they have the best rate.
Old Nov 29th, 2003, 06:09 PM

I'm not 100% positive, only about 99.9%, but in this case you dont' want AutoEurope as they will charge you a three day minimum for a one day rental.
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:35 PM

we used Hertz (near the train station) and the lady gave us easy directions to head into Tuscany!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:38 PM

We picked up our car in Florence near the train station (hertz) and they gave us impeccible directions and a map to get out of town-it was no problem. If you are going to Siena, just park outside of the center and walk or take the bus in.