Search

Rental Car in Austria...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:20 AM
bd
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental Car in Austria...

I've always heard that you should reserve the smallest car, because they usually run out of them and you'll often end up with a larger car without paying for it.

Has this worked for anyone in Salzburg?

If not, is an economy car "peppy" enough to overcome the Austrian hills?

Is is cheaper and/or more convenient to get a diesel?
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Funny. I did only rent a car in Austria once, in Klagenfurt.
I rented an automatic, the amallest one I could because I thought the cars were very expensive to rent there.
Upon arrival, it was rather a late arrival at 6:00pm, they provided me with a beautiful VW Golf diesel.

I didn't try for this, but I guess I lucked out. Diesel gas is cheaper.

Good luck.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:19 PM
bd
Original Poster

Is diesel available at all gas stations?
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:24 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
THis certainly worked for us in Geneva two years ago, when we booked a VW golf for 4 of us, and ended up with a mondeo estate for no extra, because they'd "forgotten" that we were returning it to Amsterdam and it was the only german car they had! [couldn't do a one-way rental to Holland with a Swiss car, apparently].
I would not necessarily go for the samllest car, but the cheapest one which will do the job. Then if you don't get an upgrade, you're not going to struggle too much.
In our bit of the UK at the moment, diesel is more expensive than unleaded, but of course fuel consumption is better. Virutally everywhere has diesel.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:29 PM

Actually I prefer small cars in Europe. They're easier to drive on smaller roads and in the narrow old streets of small towns. Not to speak of being easier to park. I'd be unhappy if I was upgraded.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 02:58 PM

I have rented cars twice in Austria for mountain excursions. Both times I was stuck with an Opel diesel. No way do I ever again want a little diesel in the mountains, particularly for die Grossglockner Hochalpenstrasse!

Other than that, it depends on the car. I once had the use of an Opel Vectra in Switzerland. The Avis staff was very proud that they had saved me an automatic, because that is what Americans drive! Compared with a Renault Magrane that I had the next year with stick shift, the Magrane was better for acceleration.

Last year in Switzerland, we had a Fiat Panda. That is the bottom of the line, and it is a hard bottom at that, particularly after about 90 minutes!!

It got us up and down the Grimsel and Susten Passes, but the little engine was revving for all it was worth. It also began to protest at about 100 kph on the freeways.

As larger, faster cars roared past us, I felt like I was a bug about to be squashed.

Hang being able to park the rascal, I want the darn thing to GO. The two diesels I had labored furiously going up hill, particular when trying to blend into traffic when pulling out of a overlook parking place.

Other than that, I think a little diesel car would be fine, as would the Panda. Just don't sit in it longer than 60 minutes at a time.

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 04:28 PM
bd
Original Poster

Well, is anyone familiar with the Skoda Fabia? We are planning on driving the Grossglockner, and would like to get the right tool for the job. Would we struggle with that if it's not a diesel? or should we go with the VW Golf instead?
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:35 AM
bd
Original Poster

Does anyone know if we would struggle on the Grossglockner with a small economy car?
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:44 AM

It depends on the engine. The Skoda and the Golf are basically the same car, made from the same parts by the same company.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 10:51 AM

I've driven the Hochalpenstraße in a 2 seater smart car. I smelt some rubber, but other than that no problem.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM

We rented an Opel Vectra for our Austria/Germany trip and it worked out just fine.

We always try to reserve small cars, although we rented the Vectra because we didn't want to navitage the mountains in a 4 cylinder. As a general rule though, the smaller the better. Many roads are narrow, and small cars are easier to navigate through some of the smaller towns and are easier to park.

Tracy
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:21 PM
bd
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I guess I'll try for a small 6-cyl if possible.