Rental Car for Scotland & England

May 5th, 2004, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Rental Car for Scotland & England

My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon in Scotland for two weeks and in England for 1 week. What are the best car rentals companies for the best prices? We will need a place in Scotland for two weeks and a place in England for 1 week.
thanks so much
Joy [email protected]
May 5th, 2004, 06:30 AM

My boyfriend and I had really good luck with Woods Car Rental last month. They had the best price by far, especially for an automatic. We paid less for our automatic than Hertz and Avis and such charged for the smallest manual car. They picked us up at Gatwick and took us to the car, which actually ended up being several levels above the car we reserved. They also said to call if we had any problems including flat tires, etc. and they would come to us. The car was almost brand new and we were very pleased with them.
May 5th, 2004, 07:36 AM

The best experience we ever had renting a car in England was with Avis - friendly, efficient, professional. The cheapest rates were with Autoeurope. Since you are on your honeymoon - re: needing a place - have you considered self-catering cottages?
May 5th, 2004, 10:21 AM

I had good luck with Alamo in both 1999 and 2000. Picked up at Gatwick. The exit from Gatwick is very easy as you go right out onto the motorway where you can get in the left lane and stay there until you get used to driving on the 'wrong side'

I agree that you might look into self catering for some of your trip. It's alot less stressful staying in one place for a week than frequently changing rooms.

In Scotland, I can recommend the self catering at Leny Lodge in Callendar. It is in a nice location within easy driving of much of the country.
May 5th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Luckily we have all three weeks booked already through our timeshare we own. First week is in Fife, second week is in Inverness and third week is in West Sussex England

I have also heard of car leasing in Europe for 17 days or more, anyone know about this?

May 6th, 2004, 04:03 PM

www.peter-waugh.co.uk

I can't say enough wonderful things about this company. The service is very personalized and the rates are excellent.

Sorry, I don't know anything about leasing vs. car hire.

Gayle
May 7th, 2004, 10:04 AM

Traditionally, at least, rental rates have been lower for Americans who booked ahead using one of the biggies (Hertz, Avis, etc) or a broker (Autoeurope) instead of using a local UK company. That may not always be true.

I would also consider the depth and breath of the "network" that various companies have in the UK, especially if you want to pick up a vehicle in different locations or if you are looking for a particular type of vehicle. Hertz is widespread in the UK and they have locations at airports and many rail stations...which tends to be very convenient.

Companies have so many discounts, codes, etc. that it is difficult to determine if you are getting the best deal. One major difference in rates can be whether they include or exclude optional coverages. Be sure to compare apples-to-apples here. And check to see if your credit card provides automatic coverages (usually collision or loss damage) for rentals charged on the card. Don't pay twice for this coverage.

David White
[email protected]