rental car along dalmatian coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2011, 04:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we are trying to arrange a rental car for 8 days traveling from Split to Korcula to Dubrovnik to Mostar, with a day trip to Montenegro. Rates didn't seem too bad but the extra charges to take the car out of Croatia into Bosnia and Montenegro seemed high to us. Is this a fee we must pay?
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:38 AM

Hi Have you contacted Autoeurope? We have paid extra fees several times when traveling to countries where auto thefts are more common. In most of western europe the prices usually differ due to the VAT except for Italy. Traveling to the former communist countries in central and eastern europe have entailed extra charges for us over the years.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 07:24 AM

Ask www.bestbuyrent.hr for a quote, border crossings are included. Get a quote from www.economycarrentals.com too.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 10:28 AM

Twive I have rented from www.economycarrentals.com at Split airport. They are brokers, and once I was put with H&M, and last year it was meant to be Sixt, but I ended up with lastminute car rentals.

Both times I have been upgraded to a bigger and better car than I ordered, though that was not necessarily what I wanted LOL!

I have had no quibbles with their service.

The first time I rented in 2007 I drove from Split to Mostar, then to Dubrovnik, along the Peljesac Peninsula to Orebic, then I drove across to Trpanji and took the ferry to Ploce, from where I drove back to Split. That time I did have to pay extra for a cross-border card, which is basically insurance for driving in another country. And I would have been covered had I driven into Montenegro.

Last year I was very specific when I reserved my car that I would be renting in Croatia, but driving to Sarajevo and back. Absolutely no problem, and they did not charge me for the cross-border card.

I believe that this year they are charging for cross-border cards for both Bosnia & Herzegovina and Montenegro, around 50 euros each. To the very best of my knowledge from my previous rentals - though the rules may have changed since 2010 so do not take my word for this, but, I think the cross-border cards are the same, and if you have the card for BiH then you would be covered too for Montenegro.

Another thing to be aware of - some rental companies do not allow you to take the car onto ferries.
Old Apr 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM

We recently rented from AMC via AutoEurope - pick up in Rovinj and drop off in Dubrovnik with a day trip to Montenegro. No additional fees.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

We have made arrangements with economycarrentals and certainly hope they know we're taking it on the ferry since we're picking up the car at the dock and they asked the name of the ferry! We did pay extra for cross border cards to Bosnia and Montenegro. Thanks for all the information!