Search

Rental Car

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 1999, 06:32 AM
Susie

Rental Car

O.K., I have decided to bite the bullet and rent a car in Germany, drive to Rome for three days and return to Germany. I check with autoeurope and online they list a subcompact for $193 per week (inclusive). Is this a good rate or can I find a better rate when I get there or does anyone have suggestions? I am a first timer going abroad and will have two other people with me. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old May 4th, 1999, 06:42 AM
wes fowler

Susie, <BR>The rate is a good one for a subcompact. Autoeurope is a highly reliable auto renter. I question, however, how comfortable three people, plus luggage, are going to be in subcompact considering the amount of time you'll be in the car while driving from Frankfurt to Rome. You won't find better rates upon your arrival. Best deal is to make reservations here.

Old May 4th, 1999, 07:22 AM
John

Susie, I agree with Wes. You may want something a little bigger for 3 people.

Old May 4th, 1999, 07:44 AM
Lee

Susie: I concur with everyone. It's a good price. Be sure to check with your home auto insurance provider, you may be able to waive the rental insurance costs. <BR> <BR>Try www.goalamo.com for an Alamo rental car reservation. Depending on the time of year, you could get a VW Passat (intermediate) for just over $200.00, I think. That is a manual transmission, auto will cost more. We have a large car (5-passenger) booked for the last week of May (Frankfurt) for $272.00 with the current exchange rate for eight days. <BR> <BR>Good luck! <BR>

Old May 4th, 1999, 12:44 PM
doug

try kemwel.com they have always been lower, for me, than autoeurope. have a nice trip.

Old May 4th, 1999, 04:32 PM
joyce

<BR>Twice we rented cars in Germany. Both times we were told not to take the cars into Italy. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience. We were not planning on going into Italy or I would have questioned the rule. It could be that we were renting a luxury car they feared would be stolen. I would be interested in knowing about this.

Old May 4th, 1999, 05:21 PM
Mary An

We purchased a car from the US for european pick up in 1997. They indicated our insurance would have less coverage and higher copays if we went into italy. Also if you haven't got a trip tic yet, try www.cwlease.com they have a route planner that will give you the exact roads, the distance and time on each road and the exact exit. Have fun its great driving in Europe.